Editing the text in a picture
Thread poster: Jennifer Baker
Jennifer Baker
Jennifer Baker  Identity Verified
United States
Italian to English
May 31, 2006

I'm translating a website that has been completely formatted into word documents, but there are a few images that are inserted as pictures with some text that I need to translate. Can someone help me out here? I've tried most of what I know how to do (obviously not very much!)
Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
Jennifer

tlmurray (X)
tlmurray (X)
Local time: 03:59
English
couple of questions May 31, 2006

What are you supposed to provide?
(a) New images with new text?
(b) The text as a separate file; for example, one document with, say, a list of graphic file names and the translated text?

If it is (a), do you understand the concept of a bitmap -- where the text is a part of the image?

Stefanie Sendelbach
Stefanie Sendelbach  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 09:59
Member (2003)
English to German
+ ...
Suggestions May 31, 2006

Hi Jennifer,

Editing images can be a lot of extra work for the translator. What format are the images in? (You can find out if you right-click one of the images and save it. Then just right-click on the image in your destination and choose Properties. You should find the file format in the properties.)

If your images are J
... See more
Hi Jennifer,

Editing images can be a lot of extra work for the translator. What format are the images in? (You can find out if you right-click one of the images and save it. Then just right-click on the image in your destination and choose Properties. You should find the file format in the properties.)

If your images are JPGs, this thread might be interesting: http://www.proz.com/post/349823 .

You might have to use an image editing program such as Photoshop. But that means that you have to own the software (quite expensive), and it will also require quite some extra time.

Here are two suggestions how you can avoid too much extra work on your side:
- Ask the client for editable versions of the images, or
- Simply set up a table below each image, in which you have the source language terms on the left, and the target language terms on the right side. (You should inform the client about this, in order to avoid surprises on their side.)

Hope this helps.

Good luck,
Stefanie

[Bearbeitet am 2006-05-31 18:32]
Collapse

Riccardo Schiaffino
Riccardo Schiaffino  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 01:59
Member (2003)
English to Italian
+ ...
Photoshop alternatives May 31, 2006

Stefanie Sendelbach wrote:

You might have to use an image editing program such as Photoshop. But that means that you have to own the software (quite expensive), and it will also require quite some extra time.

For editing text in Photoshop files you don't need the full program: Photoshop Elements (1/6 the price of the full version) is quite sufficient.

Riccardo Schiaffino
Riccardo Schiaffino  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 01:59
Member (2003)
English to Italian
+ ...
Ask for the original (editable) image files May 31, 2006

JL Baker wrote:

there are a few images that are inserted as pictures with some text that I need to translate.

The images you are seeing are probably jpg, gif or bmp. You need to ask your customer to provide you with the original (editable) image files (which were probably created with a program such as Photoshop, Corel Draw or Illustrator).

Once you have the original (editable) image files, you'll need a graphic program to edit the text in them.

The bad thing, is that in all instances these operations are time consuming, the good thing is that in most cases you won't need the full-blown graphic package: a stripped down version usually suffices.

Make sure to charge by the hour for this kind of work, as it may be very time consuming, if for example you find the text in the original files not on one layer only, but on several.

Viktoria Gimbe
Viktoria Gimbe  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 03:59
English to French
+ ...
Advice May 31, 2006

If you have a 4-in-1 printer (with integrated scanner), you most likely have an OCR program inside the program package for the printer. Dpeneding on the image format, you can have it converted into a Word file where the text will be editable. Then, all you would have to do is to translate the text directly in Word - and it is still within the image! Easy work for you - easy to use for your client.

Advice: try to convert your pics to JPEG and set the image resolution to 300 dpi befor
... See more
If you have a 4-in-1 printer (with integrated scanner), you most likely have an OCR program inside the program package for the printer. Dpeneding on the image format, you can have it converted into a Word file where the text will be editable. Then, all you would have to do is to translate the text directly in Word - and it is still within the image! Easy work for you - easy to use for your client.

Advice: try to convert your pics to JPEG and set the image resolution to 300 dpi before running the OCR software, to make sure all text will be converted correctly.

Many of us think that we don't have an OCR software on our machines - when we actually do! If you have a 4-in-1 printer, it's almost impossible you don't have one. I have ABBYY, and it came with my Lexmark. When I bought the Lexmark, I didn't even know I was going to get ABBYY. Nice shot!

Good luck!

P.S.: Here is a freeware program that will do almost everything PhotoShop does. It's the best freeware image editing software I ever got my hands on.

http://www.freeserifsoftware.com/software/PhotoPlus/default.asp

Hope this will help!

[Edited at 2006-05-31 23:43]
Collapse

Jennifer Baker
United States
Italian to English
TOPIC STARTER
Good advice Jun 1, 2006

Thanks for everyone's suggestions. I'm going to contact my client this morning- I'll let you all know-

J

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 09:59
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Just make it easy for non-speaker graphic artist Jun 1, 2006

JL Baker wrote:
...there are a few images that are inserted as pictures with some text that I need to translate. Can someone help me out here?

I would write out the source and the target text in such a way that it would be relatively easy for a grahic artist who doesn't speak the target language, to simply copy my text and past it into the graphic.

Example:
http://i3.microsoft.com/h/en-us/i/Genuine_4_8.gif

=============================

IMAGE:
Genuine_4_8.gif

==

SOURCE TEXT:
ask for
genuine
Microsoft(R)
software

TARGET TEXT:
vra vir
egte
Microsoft(R)-
sagteware

NOTES:
1. Hyphen may precede (R) if necessary.

==

SOURCE TEXT:
Get access to free downloads and more

TARGET TEXT:
Kry toegang tot gratis programmatuur, ens

NOTES:
1. Orange text: "free downloads" = "gratis programmatuur"

=====================

Jennifer Baker
United States
Italian to English
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks to everyone Jun 1, 2006

I appreciate everyone's time in answering my query. I spoke to the client and I am opting for a simple table with translations as an addendum.

Thanks to All!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Laureana Pavon[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Editing the text in a picture

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »