Chris Michael
Chris Michael  Identity Verified
Local time: 08:29
German to English
+ ...
May 25, 2006

Hi All,

Hopefully this should be an easy one

My computer can't find mshy3ge.dll and mshy32.dll for german hyphenation files.

I was brilliant enough to find a free site where I could download them and they are sitting comfortably on my desktop.

I am not brilliant enough to know where to put them.

I tried the Windows/system and windows/system32 folders and the program f
... See more
Hi All,

Hopefully this should be an easy one

My computer can't find mshy3ge.dll and mshy32.dll for german hyphenation files.

I was brilliant enough to find a free site where I could download them and they are sitting comfortably on my desktop.

I am not brilliant enough to know where to put them.

I tried the Windows/system and windows/system32 folders and the program files/microsoft office/office folder.

To no avail....

Any suggestions welcome.

Your comrade-in-arms,

Chris
Collapse

Terry Thatcher Waltz, Ph.D.
Terry Thatcher Waltz, Ph.D.  Identity Verified
Local time: 03:29
Chinese to English
+ ...
I think it's "system32" on XP May 25, 2006

I can't be positive, but I recently addressed a .dll problem for MetaTexis after my computer did something strange, and they had to go into the c:/windows/system32 folder. Of course it depends on which drive letter your Windows is installed on.
You might try that; at least it shouldn't mess anything up if it's the wrong location, as you can always just erase the files again if it doesn't do the trick.

Good luck. DLL problems are SO annoying!

Terry

Lars Jelking
Lars Jelking  Identity Verified
Israel
Local time: 10:29
English to Swedish
+ ...
Could sit in .... May 25, 2006

Your drive:\ Program Files/Common Files/Microsoft Shared/Proof.

Try it and Good Luck!

mediamatrix (X)
mediamatrix (X)
Local time: 04:29
Spanish to English
+ ...
You probably need to 'install' the files... May 25, 2006

Do you have hyphenation files for any other languages installed and working properly? If so, you could search for one of those (file mshy3XX.dll where XX = fr for french, for example) and then copy your .dlls to the same folder.

Having said that, it is usually necessary not to just copy these files, but actually to install them. That means they get listed in the Windows registry so Word knows where to find them (and it checks you have the appropriate licences, etc.).

... See more
Do you have hyphenation files for any other languages installed and working properly? If so, you could search for one of those (file mshy3XX.dll where XX = fr for french, for example) and then copy your .dlls to the same folder.

Having said that, it is usually necessary not to just copy these files, but actually to install them. That means they get listed in the Windows registry so Word knows where to find them (and it checks you have the appropriate licences, etc.).

To do that (under previous versions of Windows - I use Windows Me and I'm assuming XP is similar) you should open any German document in Word, launch the spell-checker, and when it say it can't find the hyphenation files and asks "Do you want to install this feature now?" answer "yes" and follow the instructions. These instructions will include you having to point the installer to the .dlls, i.e, to whichever disk/folder (or your desktop) that contains the files.

HTH
MediaMatrix
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Laureana Pavon[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Where to put .dll files for Microsoft Word

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »