How can I access my computer from a distant place through internet?
Thread poster: Rajan Chopra
Rajan Chopra
Rajan Chopra
India
Local time: 23:47
Member (2008)
English to Hindi
+ ...
May 24, 2006

A few days ago, I received a phone call from one of my clients informing me that I had sent her the source file rather than the translated file. Unfortunately, I was away from my workplace at that time and it was not possible for me to send her the requisite file immediately. This created a lot of embarrassment and inconvenience.

I understand that it is possible to access one's computer from another computer from a distant place through internet. What are basic requirements? Coul
... See more
A few days ago, I received a phone call from one of my clients informing me that I had sent her the source file rather than the translated file. Unfortunately, I was away from my workplace at that time and it was not possible for me to send her the requisite file immediately. This created a lot of embarrassment and inconvenience.

I understand that it is possible to access one's computer from another computer from a distant place through internet. What are basic requirements? Could you enlighten me in this respect?

Thanks in anticipation.

[Edited at 2006-05-24 16:18]
Collapse

Kirsty Mason
Kirsty Mason  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 19:17
German to English
Windows XP Pro Remote Desktop May 24, 2006

Not used it myself, but one possibility is a feature of Windows XP Professional edition called Remote Desktop, which enables you to access your home PC remotely over the Internet. It works in a similar way to Windows terminal services available for servers (if you've ever used Citrix, for example), but is designed for single users.

Of course, this requires that you have Windows XP Pro, but I suppose there must be alternatives out there now the technology is available.

<
... See more
Not used it myself, but one possibility is a feature of Windows XP Professional edition called Remote Desktop, which enables you to access your home PC remotely over the Internet. It works in a similar way to Windows terminal services available for servers (if you've ever used Citrix, for example), but is designed for single users.

Of course, this requires that you have Windows XP Pro, but I suppose there must be alternatives out there now the technology is available.

[Edited at 2006-05-24 16:16]
Collapse

Robert Tucker (X)
Robert Tucker (X)
United Kingdom
Local time: 19:17
German to English
+ ...
GoToMyPC May 24, 2006

If both computers are not running Windows XP Pro.

www.gotomypc.com

Anil Goyal
Anil Goyal  Identity Verified
India
Local time: 23:47
English to Hindi
+ ...
Netmeeting May 24, 2006

You can use Netmeeting also (share application or Share Desktop feature). I used this 5 years ago when I operated my home computer in Delhi using a computer in USA.

Zoltán Medgyesi
Zoltán Medgyesi
Hungary
Local time: 20:17
English to Hungarian
Logmein May 24, 2006

See: www.logmein.com. I use it regularly to access remote servers, and it works fine. (It works with any recent Windows version.)

[Edited at 2006-05-24 18:26]

Barnaby Capel-Dunn
Barnaby Capel-Dunn  Identity Verified
Local time: 20:17
French to English
Problem May 26, 2006

I may be wrong but I think that the limitation with the solutions mentioned is that the computer you want to access has not only to be switched but also connected to the Internet.
I understand that a company called Avvenu will soon be offering a premium service (something like $4 per month) allowing you to access files even when the computer is switched off.
The basic service is free as is the service offered by Google Desktop.

Ritu Bhanot
Ritu Bhanot  Identity Verified
France
French to Hindi
+ ...
VNC Jun 17, 2006

Hi,
The solution to your question lies with VNC... I used it while working in an MNC. Someone from IT in France could access my computer and make the necessary changes on my computer (in India). It works even for the same building but different floors if you allow VNC on your comp that is.
Ask someone in IT regarding VNC and they should be able to help.
Regards,
Ritu

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Laureana Pavon[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How can I access my computer from a distant place through internet?

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »