Rufino Pérez De La Sierra
Rufino Pérez De La Sierra  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 01:08
English to Spanish
+ ...
May 23, 2006

Hello!

Thanks in advance for any help given. I was working on a large document, Word, XP, on Windows XP.

I closed the document and now it does not let me open it again. It tells me one of the tables has a mistake in it, and then it looks as if the file was going to open as usual, but Word freezes and I have to close it.

I have no idea what happened, so any input will be highly appreciated.

Rufino

German Services
German Services
Local time: 23:08
English to German
+ ...
Try this May 23, 2006

Rufino De La Sierra wrote:

Hello!

Thanks in advance for any help given. I was working on a large document, Word, XP, on Windows XP.

I closed the document and now it does not let me open it again. It tells me one of the tables has a mistake in it, and then it looks as if the file was going to open as usual, but Word freezes and I have to close it.

I have no idea what happened, so any input will be highly appreciated.

Rufino

Could be many things, of course. First of all I would try to open it in Open Office: http://www.openoffice.org/

Can you post the exact error message you get?

tlmurray (X)
tlmurray (X)
Local time: 00:08
English
Try this MS note May 23, 2006

Take a look

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/826864/

pcovs
pcovs
Denmark
Local time: 06:08
English to Danish
Open and repair (hmm, Danish version here) :p May 23, 2006

You could try this, it sometimes does the trick:

Mark the file to be opened
-> click on the small arrow to the right of the box 'Open'
-> click on the option 'Open and repair' at the bottom (not entirely sure what this option is called in the English version)

Sometimes this does the trick, but you should also be aware that even though this might let you open the file this time, the same fault may occur again and again on this document, so a good thing would
... See more
You could try this, it sometimes does the trick:

Mark the file to be opened
-> click on the small arrow to the right of the box 'Open'
-> click on the option 'Open and repair' at the bottom (not entirely sure what this option is called in the English version)

Sometimes this does the trick, but you should also be aware that even though this might let you open the file this time, the same fault may occur again and again on this document, so a good thing would be to immediately hit Ctrl+A and Copy and the paste this into a WordPad file.

This may, however, loose some of the formatting and/or embedded pictures of the original file (not necessarily, though), and you should inform your client before taking such action.

Another option is to tell the client that there is a mistake in one of their tables. Then the client could try and fix the problem, but most of the time the client doesn't really know what this is about, so perhaps this is not such a good solution after all :-/

Just some thoughts from the last time I encountered this exact problem!

Good luck.
Collapse

Rufino Pérez De La Sierra
Rufino Pérez De La Sierra  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 01:08
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks, it worked! May 23, 2006

I owe you a drink, thanks a lot!

Best regards

Rufino

Vito Smolej
Vito Smolej
Germany
Local time: 06:08
Member (2004)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
There's always the untranslated original somewhere.... May 24, 2006

so you can pretranslate back to the status, where the file got stuck (for the next time, looks like it works again).

regards

smo

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Laureana Pavon[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Word file does not open, gets stuck!

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »