Reed James
Reed James
Chile
Local time: 16:50
Member (2005)
Spanish to English
May 17, 2006

Hello.

I had to reinstall Windows XP (English) the other day. Now when I plug in my external hard drive, I get a little message that says that I have connected a HI-SPEED USB device on a low speed port or something to that effect.

My Spanish version of Windows XP automatically takes care of this problem and I don't get the message.

I installed XP SP1, but I still get the message. What is the magic update or driver I need? Thanks.

Reed

tlmurray (X)
tlmurray (X)
Local time: 15:50
English
Probably hardware May 17, 2006

The USB hardware knows that a high-speed device has been plugged into a low-speed port. Some computers have both low- and high-speed ports, so you could try another port. But Windows can't do anything to turn a low into a high. You could find out more about the hardware from your manufacturer's site.

Now, that said, are you saying that on THIS physical machine, in the past, this did not happen? If so, then there are more possibilities of what's broken. But before I start guessin
... See more
The USB hardware knows that a high-speed device has been plugged into a low-speed port. Some computers have both low- and high-speed ports, so you could try another port. But Windows can't do anything to turn a low into a high. You could find out more about the hardware from your manufacturer's site.

Now, that said, are you saying that on THIS physical machine, in the past, this did not happen? If so, then there are more possibilities of what's broken. But before I start guessing, do you know for a fact:
- the port is high speed?
- the disk drive is high speed?
Collapse

German Services
German Services
Local time: 14:50
English to German
+ ...
Have you tried this? May 17, 2006

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;[LN];329632

Reed James
Reed James
Chile
Local time: 16:50
Member (2005)
Spanish to English
TOPIC STARTER
Fixed it! May 17, 2006

I got it to work! I went to Control Panel/Add New Hardware. The wizard said that I didn't have the driver. So I told the computer to find the driver automatically. Then the little Windows Update icon came on the tray and it must have downloaded the driver, because I no longer get the message about HI-Speed. Thanks.

Reed

tlmurray wrote:

Now, that said, are you saying that on THIS physical machine, in the past, this did not happen? If so, then there are more possibilities of what's broken. But before I start guessing, do you know for a fact:
- the port is high speed?
- the disk drive is high speed?

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Laureana Pavon[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

USB 2.0 driver installation

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »