Thread poster: Jesús Marín Mateos
Jesús Marín Mateos
Jesús Marín Mateos  Identity Verified
Local time: 21:51
English to Spanish
+ ...
May 4, 2006

Hi everyone!!!!
I have a little problem accessing an ftp site to download documents. I can access it from a friends computer but not from mine and as far as I understand they're both PC with Windows XP and same configuration...when I paste the ftp address on Internet Explorer it comes up as "Not found". If I go to my friends it works....I need to print it off and he doesn't have a printer......any help as to what I should look for????
Many thanks.

tlmurray (X)
tlmurray (X)
Local time: 16:51
English
Can you reveal the URL? May 4, 2006

It would help, as a "not found" shouldn't be happening with identical URLs.

Elizabeth Adams
Elizabeth Adams  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 13:51
Member (2002)
Russian to English
idea May 4, 2006

I just had a terrible couple of days trying to download a video file via ftp.

My 2 cents is you will save time taking a flash drive to your friend's house and putting the file on there (if it isn't too big, of course).

If you can't, try using ftp programs instead of explorer. I wish I knew more about ftp, too.

Best,
Elizabeth

Birgit Schrader
Birgit Schrader  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 17:51
Member (2004)
Italian to German
+ ...
FileZilla May 4, 2006

I had similar problems, now I use FileZilla. You can download it from the Internet. Perhaps this will work. http://sourceforge.net/projects/filezilla/

Birgit

Mark Xiang
Mark Xiang
Local time: 04:51
English to Chinese
+ ...
shut up your firewall temporarily May 4, 2006

and try again.

Mark

Luca Tutino
Luca Tutino  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2002)
English to Italian
+ ...
Passive mode May 5, 2006

It might-be that you shoud set a "passive download" mode somewhere in the options of IE. However it is an easier settin to find in a dedicated ftp program (there are many for free - lately I use ws-ftp95).

duraid
duraid
Australia
Local time: 06:51
Arabic to English
+ ...
Try this May 5, 2006

Go to Control Panel
> "Internet options"
> click on the "Advanced" tab
> make sure that "Use passive FTP" is NOT clicked

Regards

Jesús Marín Mateos
Jesús Marín Mateos  Identity Verified
Local time: 21:51
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks.... May 5, 2006

Thanks to everybody.
I will try to change the settings to pasive...however I was really in a hurry and a colleague suggested I downloaded cuteftp.com which I did and it worked!!!!....it is only the trial version for 30 days but it means I can work on this project.
Many thanks to everybody.
Kind regards.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Laureana Pavon[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Accessing ftp....

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »