Swapping hard drives on a laptop
Thread poster: Kevin Fulton
Kevin Fulton
Kevin Fulton  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 06:30
German to English
May 3, 2006

I own 2 Dell laptops, identical model number, the only difference when new was the amount of RAM, and one had an internal wireless card.

I upgraded the HD on one computer (more storage, faster access time), and saved the hard drive. Now the hard drive on the other computer has died (no critical data lost). Can I just install the original drive from the other computer, with the hope of running all software, etc. or do I have to reinstall everything? Will Windows recognize that the H
... See more
I own 2 Dell laptops, identical model number, the only difference when new was the amount of RAM, and one had an internal wireless card.

I upgraded the HD on one computer (more storage, faster access time), and saved the hard drive. Now the hard drive on the other computer has died (no critical data lost). Can I just install the original drive from the other computer, with the hope of running all software, etc. or do I have to reinstall everything? Will Windows recognize that the HD is on a different computer and force a reinstall? It's no big deal, but I'd be happier about saving some time.
Thanks, Kevin
Collapse

Simon Gregory
Simon Gregory
Russian to English
Probably it will work instantly. May 3, 2006

If motherboards are identical, the computer will work intstantly. However, it is possible that necessary to download some drivers, as for videocard. Dell usually supplies their laptops by three frloppy disks to reinstall HDD -"on-track" and two others. They work smoothly during reinstallation and no problems occur.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Laureana Pavon[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Swapping hard drives on a laptop

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »