Auto-correct serious problem
Thread poster: Anette Herbert
Anette Herbert
Anette Herbert  Identity Verified
Local time: 07:25
English to Swedish
+ ...
Apr 18, 2006

I have a big problem when translating into English.
I have Windows XP and Office XP, and Trados 6.5.5. I reformatted the hard disk and when I installed everything again (upgrading from Word97 to Word 2002) I couldn't get Word to properly absorb my own AutoCorrect entries assembled over the years (more than 2,000 of them) and which were in an .acl file. With Word97 you just dropped the file into the C:\Windows folder if you changed machines and hey presto. Not so with Word 2002, it seems.<
... See more
I have a big problem when translating into English.
I have Windows XP and Office XP, and Trados 6.5.5. I reformatted the hard disk and when I installed everything again (upgrading from Word97 to Word 2002) I couldn't get Word to properly absorb my own AutoCorrect entries assembled over the years (more than 2,000 of them) and which were in an .acl file. With Word97 you just dropped the file into the C:\Windows folder if you changed machines and hey presto. Not so with Word 2002, it seems.

I've spent the past week trying to figure out where to put the file, helped by numerous Word and TW users, to no avail. I've managed to get it (with the help of a macro from Alan Wyatt) into the Swedish AutoCorrect list but as soon as I begin writing in the yellow target field in WB the language switches to English, of course, so I need to get the entries into the English list as well.

Eternally grateful to anyone who can solve this problem!

Anette
Collapse

Jo Macdonald
Jo Macdonald  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 08:25
Italian to English
+ ...
Few ideas Apr 18, 2006

Hi Anette,
Check the default language in the International settings of the Control Panel; might make a difference. Once, when I changed computers, just having a period set instead of a comma as a decimal separator (as it was on the old PC) drove me nuts with invoices in Excel until I changed it to the way it had been before.

If that doesn’t work you could try creating a Termbase in Trados so you can apply the terms in your auto-correct file with the cat. You may have to use
... See more
Hi Anette,
Check the default language in the International settings of the Control Panel; might make a difference. Once, when I changed computers, just having a period set instead of a comma as a decimal separator (as it was on the old PC) drove me nuts with invoices in Excel until I changed it to the way it had been before.

If that doesn’t work you could try creating a Termbase in Trados so you can apply the terms in your auto-correct file with the cat. You may have to use Access or something to get the file into a format you can import to create a termbase.
Good luck.
Mac
Collapse

Ahmed Dahman
Ahmed Dahman  Identity Verified
Egypt
Local time: 08:25
English to Arabic
+ ...
AutoCorrect List File. Apr 18, 2006

Dear Mrs Herbert,
To reach to where MS Office stores its Autocorrect file go to
1- First open your system partition, C: or D: or what ever.
2- Then Documents and Settings.
3-You will find about three folders: Default User(Hidden), All Users and finally you'll find a folder hold your name or your account name (e.g. Mrs Herbert) open it.
4- Open the hidden folder Application Data.
5- After that open the Microsoft folder.
6- Finally open the Office
... See more
Dear Mrs Herbert,
To reach to where MS Office stores its Autocorrect file go to
1- First open your system partition, C: or D: or what ever.
2- Then Documents and Settings.
3-You will find about three folders: Default User(Hidden), All Users and finally you'll find a folder hold your name or your account name (e.g. Mrs Herbert) open it.
4- Open the hidden folder Application Data.
5- After that open the Microsoft folder.
6- Finally open the Office folder where the AutoCorrect Lise file can be found named as (MSO1036).
To make it easy your path must looks like that one:
D: or c:\Documents and Settings\YOUR ACCOUNT\Application Data\Microsoft\Office

To see the hidden files and folders click Tools> Folder options>View> choose "Show Hidden Files And Folders".

To hide them again redo the same steps but choose "Don't show hidden files or folders.
I hope that will help you.

With Respect
A.H.Dahman
English>Arabic Translator
http://www.proz.com/pro/129263
Collapse

Anette Herbert
Anette Herbert  Identity Verified
Local time: 07:25
English to Swedish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Macro will have to do Apr 20, 2006

Thank you Mac and Ahmed (with respect, I hope you don't mind but we are not so formal here on Proz) for your kind replies.

They have been tried and I will have to resolve myself to using a
a macro to change the language to Swedish (where my autocorrect entries are lodged) every time I change segment. bit of a makeshift solution, but it works.

Best regards
Anette

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Laureana Pavon[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Auto-correct serious problem

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »