Debora Villa
Debora Villa
United Kingdom
Local time: 09:56
English to Italian
+ ...
Apr 10, 2006

Hi everybody,

Having spent all day trying to "recover" my virus infected pc, I ended up buying a new one!!! I have just loaded Word back in, I cannot remember how to enable the Italian spellcheck in addition to the English one. If there is anyone out there able to help I'd be very grateful.

Giles Watson
Giles Watson  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 10:56
Italian to English
In memoriam
Proofing tools Apr 10, 2006

Hi Debora,

Depending on your version of Word, you'll probably need to load the Italian proofing tools from a separately sold CD:

http://www.microsoft.com/office/editions/prodinfo/language/proofingtools.mspx

The Office Proofing Tools 2003 CD contains goodies for all the programs in the Office suite, not just Word. For a tr
... See more
Hi Debora,

Depending on your version of Word, you'll probably need to load the Italian proofing tools from a separately sold CD:

http://www.microsoft.com/office/editions/prodinfo/language/proofingtools.mspx

The Office Proofing Tools 2003 CD contains goodies for all the programs in the Office suite, not just Word. For a translator, it's an investment.

HTH

Giles
Collapse

Debora Villa
Debora Villa
United Kingdom
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Apr 10, 2006

Thanks Giles, I'll have a look at that link. I thought there was a function on Words that allowed to enable languages other than Englisgh.

Giles Watson
Giles Watson  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 10:56
Italian to English
In memoriam
Check what you got with your version of Word Apr 10, 2006

Debora Villa wrote:

Thanks Giles, I'll have a look at that link. I thought there was a function on Words that allowed to enable languages other than Englisgh.

There is but not all languages are available as standard. If you check in your version of Word under Tools\Language\Set language, you'll see what you've got.

In my Italian Word 2003, there was IIRC an American English spellchecker supplied as standard in addition to the Italian tools. Since I have some customers who like UK spelling and so on, and others who prefer US, I need the full proofing monty to keep everyone happy.

A bonus is that Trados TagEditor 7 seems to work very smoothly with Word spellcheckers.

All the best,

Giles

Wenke Geddert
Wenke Geddert
United Kingdom
Member (2004)
English to German
+ ...
MS Office Tools Apr 11, 2006

Hi

I recently had a similar problem and needed to reinstall the whole lot.

I am using MS Office 2000, so hope this will work with other versions as well.

Click on Start - all programs. Choose Microsoft Office Tools, then Microsoft Office Language Settings. Choose the tab "languages" and select the ones which are required.

During this process you will need to have the MS Office disc handy, otherwise the installation won't work.

HTH<
... See more
Hi

I recently had a similar problem and needed to reinstall the whole lot.

I am using MS Office 2000, so hope this will work with other versions as well.

Click on Start - all programs. Choose Microsoft Office Tools, then Microsoft Office Language Settings. Choose the tab "languages" and select the ones which are required.

During this process you will need to have the MS Office disc handy, otherwise the installation won't work.

HTH

Wenke
Collapse

Debora Villa
Debora Villa
United Kingdom
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
thanks Apr 12, 2006

Thank you both for your help.

Debora

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Laureana Pavon[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Italian Spellcheck on Word

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »