Do you suffer from ⒺⓍⓅⓁⓄⓇⒺⓇitis? – Is it time for ⒺⓍⓅⓁⓄⓇⒺⓇectomy?
Thread poster: Sven Petersson
Sven Petersson
Sven Petersson  Identity Verified
Sweden
Local time: 10:07
English to Swedish
+ ...
Apr 10, 2006

Test your browser on http://www.svenp.my.proz.com/utf8test !

(Microsoft intends to make IE7 Unicode compatible.
They hope to launch IE7 [for Vista and XP ONLY!!!] “some time next year”.)

[Edited at 2006-04-11 18:53]

Astrid Elke Witte
Astrid Elke Witte  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2002)
German to English
+ ...
What is your point, Sven? Apr 10, 2006

Obviously now we have found out why you needed the letters inside circles that you were asking about a week or two ago....but what is the point of this exercise, and what is your page all about? I looked at it and cannot make head or tail of it. Why do you put lots of blank squares, for example, in place of capital letters? Just curious!

Astrid

Sven Petersson
Sven Petersson  Identity Verified
Sweden
English to Swedish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Dear Astrid, Apr 11, 2006

I don’t “put lots of blank squares”, I write HTML code that complies with the standards (in this case XHTML STRICT 1.0, CSS and utf-8), which you can get confirmation of by clicking the buttons I have provided and by looking up the utf-8 codes for the symbols I have used. The warnings you will find on the CSS validation page are caused by the use of transparent, and do not cause the problem I am illustrating.

Outdated browsers “put lots of blan
... See more
I don’t “put lots of blank squares”, I write HTML code that complies with the standards (in this case XHTML STRICT 1.0, CSS and utf-8), which you can get confirmation of by clicking the buttons I have provided and by looking up the utf-8 codes for the symbols I have used. The warnings you will find on the CSS validation page are caused by the use of transparent, and do not cause the problem I am illustrating.

Outdated browsers “put lots of blank squares”!

I am displaying how 6 different browsers render valid code. 3 rendered the code correctly, and 1 almost correctly (but I am in a good mood, so I gave it a pass). 2 failed miserably, one of them being IE6, which is used by some 70% of the general public!

Some 70% of the translators use properly rendering browsers. They may check their HTML translations in their browser, or not, before they happily send the result of their work and their invoice to the customer. And then ……!!!

I am trying to draw your attention to that you can charge your customers a premium price if you learn how to handle Unicode, and to warn when appropriate. Have a look at my pricelist at http://www.proz.com/pro/7599 !

I am also drawing your attention to that you should get yourself a properly working browser if you are still using IE6.

Will IE7 hack it?

Well, go to http://www.danvine.com and use the page I have provided to see how the beta version is doing!

You can look at Unicode as a BIG PROBLEM, or as a MARVELLOUS OPPORTUNITY. The decision is yours!

Skype me if you need further explanation!

Sven.

PS

The top page is live, rendered in your browser. You can confirm it by going over the letters and symbols with your cursor while depressing the left mouse button; the letter-blocks will change colour.

The following (smaller) 6 pages are gif:s of screendumps. They can be downloaded.

Sven.

[Edited at 2006-04-11 01:32]
Collapse

Heinrich Pesch
Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 11:07
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
Nice demonstration! Apr 11, 2006

But as you seem to be an expert I'd like to ask one question.
I use Thunderbird. Sometimes when replying to a message it announces, that the message contains characters, which do not fit into the UTF-8. I click ok and off it goes, but I'm curious, since I use only normal skandinavian characters.
And why UTF-8? Shouldn't we rather use 16 bit encoding? Here at proz they have still difficulties with displaying normal European character sets. Wouldn't 16 bit encoding be much more easy?... See more
But as you seem to be an expert I'd like to ask one question.
I use Thunderbird. Sometimes when replying to a message it announces, that the message contains characters, which do not fit into the UTF-8. I click ok and off it goes, but I'm curious, since I use only normal skandinavian characters.
And why UTF-8? Shouldn't we rather use 16 bit encoding? Here at proz they have still difficulties with displaying normal European character sets. Wouldn't 16 bit encoding be much more easy?

Regards
Heinrich
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Laureana Pavon[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Do you suffer from ⒺⓍⓅⓁⓄⓇⒺⓇitis? – Is it time for ⒺⓍⓅⓁⓄⓇⒺⓇectomy?

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »