Heinrich Pesch
Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 23:45
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
Apr 7, 2006

I'd like to share some weird experiences from the last 24 hours and hope for some advice.
Since last automn I use a Zyxel 660 wireless modem for the DSL-connection to my pc. I thought only I had access to it, because I had changed the password.
Yesterday I bought a new laptop with built-in Wlan. When I let it search for possible connections, it found three. One of them was protected, two unprotected. One of the unprotected ones read Zyxel. I connected to this and updated the software
... See more
I'd like to share some weird experiences from the last 24 hours and hope for some advice.
Since last automn I use a Zyxel 660 wireless modem for the DSL-connection to my pc. I thought only I had access to it, because I had changed the password.
Yesterday I bought a new laptop with built-in Wlan. When I let it search for possible connections, it found three. One of them was protected, two unprotected. One of the unprotected ones read Zyxel. I connected to this and updated the software through it. I noticed it was my modem which was used for the connection, because the leds flickered.
Today I started to wonder, if its a good thing to have the Wlan unprotected. So I opened the manual, opened the connection to the modem via my pc and went to Advanced settings. At Wireless lan I chose "Identification required" and pressed Apply. At the same time my browser lost connection to the modem. After some nervous search I found, that the modem can be reset to initial configuration, which I did. That's why I'm able to write this!

But can anybody tell my how I can set up a non-open Wlan-connection without cutting me off at the same time.
What do you think, should Wlans be left unprotected or should they be protected?

Regards
Heinrich
Collapse

Xuchun
Xuchun  Identity Verified
China
Local time: 04:45
English to Chinese
+ ...
Certainly you need to protect it Apr 7, 2006

I have the access control of my wireless router turned on. Only my laptop and pocket PC are allowed to connect to the router wirelessly.

Still I turned off the Enable SSID Broadcast, and enabled the Security Encryption (WEP).

I think you may find similar functions on your wireless modem (router).

tlmurray (X)
tlmurray (X)
Local time: 16:45
English
Used wired to configure wireless Apr 7, 2006

Most wireless modems have a USB plug, an Ethernet plug, or both. If this is the case, you can use the wired method to configure things, then unplug yourself and start using the wireless.

If you *must* use wireless, must configuration pages let you key in a number of settings -- SSID, password, etc. -- then click "Apply" and commit the changes all at once. You will be immediately logged off, but then you can log in again using the settings you made.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Laureana Pavon[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Wlan: to protect or not to protect

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »