Accented letters mysteriously change themselves when printing out a PDF
Thread poster: Elizabeth Sumner
Elizabeth Sumner
Elizabeth Sumner
Local time: 18:41
Russian to English
+ ...
Mar 24, 2006

Hm, wonder if anyone can help me. I've got six documents (PDFs) in Swedish to print out. Four of them print out fine but the accented letters on two of the docs mysteriously change into cyrillic when I print them out. I've tried printing as an image but this doesn't help either. They're the only two docs with tables in but I can't see how this would make a difference.

Does anyone have any ideas other than just trying to print them on a different computer?

Many than
... See more
Hm, wonder if anyone can help me. I've got six documents (PDFs) in Swedish to print out. Four of them print out fine but the accented letters on two of the docs mysteriously change into cyrillic when I print them out. I've tried printing as an image but this doesn't help either. They're the only two docs with tables in but I can't see how this would make a difference.

Does anyone have any ideas other than just trying to print them on a different computer?

Many thanks,

Lizzy
Collapse

Vito Smolej
Vito Smolej
Germany
Local time: 19:41
Member (2004)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
a few checks ... Mar 24, 2006

1. where do wrong characters appear? In the tables? All all over the place?

2. which fonts are the questionable parts of the document using? Does changing to say Arial improve the situation?

As you may see I am trying to locate the offending font which is east european version instead of whatever it should be.

Regards
smo

Robert Zawadzki (X)
Robert Zawadzki (X)  Identity Verified
English to Polish
+ ...
Check your driver 'Advanced' tab Mar 24, 2006

I have a number of options to control font loading there (I use PDF995)

Gerard de Noord
Gerard de Noord  Identity Verified
France
Member (2003)
English to Dutch
+ ...
This is a real mystery Mar 24, 2006

The only raison d'être for those horrible PDFs is that you can display and print them on any system.

Regards,
Gerard

tlmurray (X)
tlmurray (X)
Local time: 13:41
English
Need info on source, fonts Mar 26, 2006

- Are these PDF you created?
- Are the fonts used in the document embedded?
- If not, do you have them on your computer?

Elizabeth Sumner
Elizabeth Sumner
Local time: 18:41
Russian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Accented letters update Mar 27, 2006

Hi, thanks for everyone's questions. First of all, I've printed the offending PDFs on my neighbour's computer (took some explanation!) and they've come out fine so it must be a glitch with my machine. Still, I'm a bit worried that this might become a common occurrence.

First of all, I didn't create the PDFs, they were emailed me. The accented letters were changed throughout the document in tables, normal text, heading, etc. It was a standard Ariel font. I tried changing the fon
... See more
Hi, thanks for everyone's questions. First of all, I've printed the offending PDFs on my neighbour's computer (took some explanation!) and they've come out fine so it must be a glitch with my machine. Still, I'm a bit worried that this might become a common occurrence.

First of all, I didn't create the PDFs, they were emailed me. The accented letters were changed throughout the document in tables, normal text, heading, etc. It was a standard Ariel font. I tried changing the font, the size, even the colour but it did no good. I printed as an image but it still occurred and have gone through the advance settings but it still doesn't seem to make a difference.

I'm now tempted to put this down to temporary stubborness on the part of my computer but if anyone has any ideas, please still let me know. I don't want the machine to try and start translating for me!

Kind regards,

Lizzy
Collapse

Jerzy Czopik
Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
What is your OS and your hardware? Mar 27, 2006

Is the printer driver the newest one and the right one for your printer?
Is there any font replacement set in your printer driver?

Maybe with some additional information we can find a solution.

Regards
Jerzy

Vito Smolej
Vito Smolej
Germany
Member (2004)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
buy your neighbour's computer... Mar 27, 2006

ooops, no, I was only joking.

smo

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Laureana Pavon[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Accented letters mysteriously change themselves when printing out a PDF

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »