Thread poster: Sonja Allen
Sonja Allen
Sonja Allen  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 13:30
English to German
+ ...
Mar 13, 2006

Yesterday, I backed up a translation on a floppy disk and my memory key as usual. Today, when I switched on my computer and tried again to back up my data, none of the options I use wanted to work anymore. I get messages that I need to format the disk or memory key, which is rubbish, because both worked fine yesterday. I tried other floppies, but got the same message, so it can't just be a corrupted floppy disk. Furthermore, I put a CD containing some files in my CD Drive and Windows just shows ... See more
Yesterday, I backed up a translation on a floppy disk and my memory key as usual. Today, when I switched on my computer and tried again to back up my data, none of the options I use wanted to work anymore. I get messages that I need to format the disk or memory key, which is rubbish, because both worked fine yesterday. I tried other floppies, but got the same message, so it can't just be a corrupted floppy disk. Furthermore, I put a CD containing some files in my CD Drive and Windows just shows me an empty CD Drive. So my system doesn't even read CDs anymore.
I spoke to my vendor about this who told me that I would need to uninstall Windows XP, partition the hard drive and reinstall Windows XP again. All my data would be then be lost. Although I have made sufficient backups, and a loss of my data would not be such a big problem, I wanted to check with you if such a drastic measure as reformatting my hard drive is really necessary. Anyone out there who had a similar problem before?
Collapse

Agua
Agua  Identity Verified
Spain
English to Spanish
+ ...
Send them to your e-mail address for the time being... Mar 13, 2006

Hello again,

I had a problem with my computer, too, and I just did some of my backup sending myself e-mails with the main files of projects (Gmail and Yahoo mail now have lots of storage space)...

About the rest, good luck with it, I wish I could help some more.

Best,

Mar

Brandis (X)
Brandis (X)
Local time: 14:30
English to German
+ ...
Try installling the drivers again Mar 13, 2006

Sonja Allen wrote:

Yesterday, I backed up a translation on a floppy disk and my memory key as usual. Today, when I switched on my computer and tried again to back up my data, none of the options I use wanted to work anymore. I get messages that I need to format the disk or memory key, which is rubbish, because both worked fine yesterday. I tried other floppies, but got the same message, so it can't just be a corrupted floppy disk. Furthermore, I put a CD containing some files in my CD Drive and Windows just shows me an empty CD Drive. So my system doesn't even read CDs anymore.
I spoke to my vendor about this who told me that I would need to uninstall Windows XP, partition the hard drive and reinstall Windows XP again. All my data would be then be lost. Although I have made sufficient backups, and a loss of my data would not be such a big problem, I wanted to check with you if such a drastic measure as reformatting my hard drive is really necessary. Anyone out there who had a similar problem before?
these are normally system drivers and come along with your motherboard (a cd) well, since the cd drive is not going, try through LAN access if you have, otherwise, I haven´t really tried this option myself, but Microsoft offers remote administering services via "permit remote access" or the similar. Strange though.Best Brandis

Natalie
Natalie  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2002)
English to Russian
+ ...

SITE LOCALIZER
Hi Sonja Mar 13, 2006

You can format your hard drive at any time, so don't hurry with this option

Right-click on "My computer" icon, go to Properties > Hardware > Device manager > Choose your CDROM drive and delete it (choose 'uninstall' while right-clicking).

Do the same with your floppy drive.

Reboot your computer and see if it helped (Win XP will reinstall drivers at rebooting). If yes - great, you had some dr
... See more
You can format your hard drive at any time, so don't hurry with this option

Right-click on "My computer" icon, go to Properties > Hardware > Device manager > Choose your CDROM drive and delete it (choose 'uninstall' while right-clicking).

Do the same with your floppy drive.

Reboot your computer and see if it helped (Win XP will reinstall drivers at rebooting). If yes - great, you had some driver problems. Repeat the same for the USB controller and reboot to see if your memory stick is visible.

In case this would not help, report it here, we'll look for some other solutions.

[Edited at 2006-03-13 20:53]
Collapse

Dr Sue Levy (X)
Dr Sue Levy (X)
French to English
+ ...
Restore system Mar 13, 2006

Have you tried restoring the system to an earlier point in time (like yesterday when it worked)? This is the first thing I do anytime I have a problem.

You'll find the function System Restore in the system tools (click on System in the Control Panel).

Good luck!

Simon Gregory
Simon Gregory
Russian to English
Yes, try Restore System as the first step Mar 14, 2006

Restore System is the first tool in Win XP. If doesn't work way to reach this as indicated above, may work a little longer way: All Programs-->Accessories-->System Tools--> System Restore. Sometimes simple Defragmentation helps. In my computer helps Restart with pressing F8. There may be options--"Last good working configuration". After second pressing F8 the computer becomes more "obedient" to follow System Restore method, as indicated above. It makes sense to check in BIOS how the mentioned de... See more
Restore System is the first tool in Win XP. If doesn't work way to reach this as indicated above, may work a little longer way: All Programs-->Accessories-->System Tools--> System Restore. Sometimes simple Defragmentation helps. In my computer helps Restart with pressing F8. There may be options--"Last good working configuration". After second pressing F8 the computer becomes more "obedient" to follow System Restore method, as indicated above. It makes sense to check in BIOS how the mentioned devices are set, but do not change setting without good computer technician. To send email is very smart solution, but it works only if your Web browser is still "alive". If computer reboots and you can see your files--a real hope still exists. If no boot--the hope is anyway, but it is another topic. Do not panick and do not reformat hard disks prematurely. Write down all your actions. Good luck. Sorry fo typos. SimonCollapse

Sonja Allen
Sonja Allen  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 13:30
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I tried system restore and uninstalled floppy drive, but neither helped Mar 14, 2006

Thank you all for your help and tips. I tried the system restore function, but it did not solve the problem. Then I tried to uninstall the floppy drive and rebooted the system, but this did not help either.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Laureana Pavon[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Cannot backup any data anymore - Floppy, CD and external Drive not working

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »