Mysterious behaviour of computer
Thread poster: Sanjiv Sadan (X)
Sanjiv Sadan (X)
Sanjiv Sadan (X)
Local time: 15:04
English to Hindi
+ ...
Mar 9, 2006

Yesterday I used a floppey to store some data from my computer into it. After doing the work, I turned off the computer. When after some time, I tried to restart the computer, I could not do so and a messege read:

Verifying DMI pool data

I tried a lot to start my computer but in vain. At last, my friend suggested me that I should take out the floppey from the floppey drive. This worked and I could start the computer. Why it happens?

Natalie
Natalie  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 11:34
Member (2002)
English to Russian
+ ...

SITE LOCALIZER
Hi Mar 9, 2006

It happens because of the so called boot sequence set up in BIOS of your computer: it is obvious that the first disk where your computer looks at boot-up is the floppy (and not the hard disk). The computer looks for an operating system at your floppy disk, fails to find it there (as there is no OS, of course, only your data), and stops. This is quite normal behavior for all (somewhat older computers) which could be started from a floppy. Newer computers usually do not look for a floppy at startu... See more
It happens because of the so called boot sequence set up in BIOS of your computer: it is obvious that the first disk where your computer looks at boot-up is the floppy (and not the hard disk). The computer looks for an operating system at your floppy disk, fails to find it there (as there is no OS, of course, only your data), and stops. This is quite normal behavior for all (somewhat older computers) which could be started from a floppy. Newer computers usually do not look for a floppy at startup.

BTW, you should never leave a diskette in the floppy drive when turning off your computer as it can easily result in catching a virus (in case there is one on the diskette).
Collapse

Kevin Fulton
Kevin Fulton  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 05:34
German to English
No system on the floppy Mar 9, 2006

Many computers are set up to boot first from the floppy (A : ) drive (watch the drive light the next time you boot up). If there is no system file on the floppy, the boot process will stop.

To avoid this problem, don't start the computer with a disk in the A: drive.
Don't worry, you didn't damage your computer!

[Edited at 2006-03-09 17:43]

tectranslate ITS GmbH
tectranslate ITS GmbH
Local time: 11:34
German
+ ...
... Mar 9, 2006

Don't worry, you didn't damage your computer!
...unless, of course, there was a boot sector virus on the diskette. Better change the bootup sequence in the Computer's CMOS Setup.

B

tlmurray (X)
tlmurray (X)
Local time: 05:34
English
Could be bad diskette drive Mar 9, 2006

If the system looks to the diskette drive to start up and does not find it -- either no drive at all or there is a diskette drive and it's empty -- the system will move on to the next device.

If the diskette comes before the hard disk and the diskette is blank or otherwise does not have any code to boot from, then the system will probably stop there and issue a message that a boot sector was not found.

The DMI, or Desktop Management Interface, sits between BIOS and ha
... See more
If the system looks to the diskette drive to start up and does not find it -- either no drive at all or there is a diskette drive and it's empty -- the system will move on to the next device.

If the diskette comes before the hard disk and the diskette is blank or otherwise does not have any code to boot from, then the system will probably stop there and issue a message that a boot sector was not found.

The DMI, or Desktop Management Interface, sits between BIOS and hardware -- it passes data between them. A physically bad diskette drive, or a bad cable, are very common causes. A quick Google for the string "verifying DMI pool" + diskette (or floppy) will reveal a lot of information.
Collapse

Aleksandr Okunev (X)
Aleksandr Okunev (X)
Local time: 12:34
English to Russian
Thanks! Mar 9, 2006

Hi, Sanjiv, thanks for a very big smile and a lot of memories!

Stay well!
Alex

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Laureana Pavon[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Mysterious behaviour of computer

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »