Once connected, the whole system is stuck!
Thread poster: Dina Abdo
Dina Abdo
Dina Abdo  Identity Verified
Palestine
Local time: 09:43
Member (2005)
Arabic
+ ...
Mar 6, 2006

I'm running a Windows XP Home Edition on my computer. (Laptop actually).

I used to connect to the internet using a dial-up connection and a modem. Now I'm using an ADSL and I'm still having the same problem.

Oh sorry ... the problem! :$

My computer starts up, and I connect to the internet (either way mentioned above), and then the whole system stops responding for 5 minutes AT LEAST! I keep waiting for it, and then I press ctrl+alt+delete and it wakes up.
... See more
I'm running a Windows XP Home Edition on my computer. (Laptop actually).

I used to connect to the internet using a dial-up connection and a modem. Now I'm using an ADSL and I'm still having the same problem.

Oh sorry ... the problem! :$

My computer starts up, and I connect to the internet (either way mentioned above), and then the whole system stops responding for 5 minutes AT LEAST! I keep waiting for it, and then I press ctrl+alt+delete and it wakes up. I get a Task manager window (or windows if I kept holding the three buttons for a while, and I do actually until I can see my hard disk light flashing again), and I close that window (or windows) and start working. *-)

If I'm patient enough, I can live with that. Well ... I'm not, but this isn't the problem here. The problem is that this process of waking my system up causes me loss of files in so many cases. It happens sometimes when I'm in the middle of a work to need to connect to the internet. When ctrl+alt+delete doesn't work, I have to shut my computer down (by removing the battery) and lose all my unsaved work. :S

I took many steps trying to resolve the problem: I speeded up my computer by adjusting different settings here and there, I removed my Norton antivirus (which got my computer performance even faster actually), I disabled windows firewall, and I disabled all startup programs so nothing can interrupt the connection once achieved unless I'm selecting it first.

This may sound like a "five minutes delay .. Big deal" .. I know. But it's driving me crazy every time I use the internet!

Can anyone please help me find out the cause of this trouble or how to fix it?

Thank you all for your help in advance

Dina Abdou
Collapse

tlmurray (X)
tlmurray (X)
Local time: 02:43
English
Task Manager may be key Mar 6, 2006

> I get a Task manager window (or windows if I kept holding the three buttons for a while

What is in that list could be key ... and, hopefully, the task that's killing you is still there when you see the list. What are the top resource-using processes, or tasks?

By the way, does this happen if you're NOT connected to the internet?

Dina Abdo
Palestine
Member (2005)
Arabic
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I'm not sure I got it, Mar 6, 2006

But let me get this right:

tlmurray wrote:

What is in that list could be key ... and, hopefully, the task that's killing you is still there when you see the list.

You're asking about the tasks in my Task manager window right? None ... I make sure not to open any prog. until I solve that problem. Still, if I'm connecting while working already, then the tasks would be MS Word or similar. It has nothing to do with the problem I guess as it's happenning no matter there were progs. opened or not. (That's for the applications)

tlmurray wrote:

What are the top resource-using processes, or tasks?

In the processes, there are something like 47 processes. But highest memory usage is for ones related to system. They become around 25-30 when I have nothing on but the connection.

tlmurray wrote:

By the way, does this happen if you're NOT connected to the internet?

Nope ... never. It's not even while I'm connecting. It happens ONCE I'm connected

Heinrich Pesch
Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
Try installing the connection according to the provider's instructins Mar 7, 2006

You have to arrive at a situation where your machine connects to the net and stays connect until its shut down. But only your service provider knows what settings are needed. A service person could come and test your system. When I moved last month I had trouble connecting too, and when finally a service person came to test the connections he stated, that there had been a problem with the handshaking procedure between my wireless modem and their system. The visit didn't cost me anything. Now I'v... See more
You have to arrive at a situation where your machine connects to the net and stays connect until its shut down. But only your service provider knows what settings are needed. A service person could come and test your system. When I moved last month I had trouble connecting too, and when finally a service person came to test the connections he stated, that there had been a problem with the handshaking procedure between my wireless modem and their system. The visit didn't cost me anything. Now I've been connected for two months without break, but I'm still avoiding disconnecting the modem from the phone line

REgards
Heinrich
Collapse

Imad Almaghary (X)
Imad Almaghary (X)
English to Arabic
+ ...
One lasting satisfactory solution Mar 7, 2006

Good morning friends

As a matter of fact, I do not use laptop and I reckon far from being disadvantaged though that laptop is as similar as other kinds of PCs. Based on what has been mentioned above and based on what other friends have kindly replied to this matter, then, I would like, if I may, to say that I have been into severe problems that are quite similar to what you have mentioned here in this helpful forum in addition to other ones and that would be deemed particularly rema
... See more
Good morning friends

As a matter of fact, I do not use laptop and I reckon far from being disadvantaged though that laptop is as similar as other kinds of PCs. Based on what has been mentioned above and based on what other friends have kindly replied to this matter, then, I would like, if I may, to say that I have been into severe problems that are quite similar to what you have mentioned here in this helpful forum in addition to other ones and that would be deemed particularly remarkable in the sense that it tends to sort out lots of ideas.

What should have been done is to prevent others from using your PC and this works for just a temporary time and all related matters that are problematic will turn up to spiral out of control and annoyance is going to be there.

I have been asking and gathering information on how to use a PC in a normal way without problems. Experts advised me to use firewall.
Once it is used it did not work due to having the system plummeted sharply.

One of my friends has a son that is very naughty and trouble-making son who studies in the third secondary school. That man is a hacker and he is defiant to many strong systems to the extent that he can break coding system of passwords and penetrates computers and so on.

I am sure that he is trustworthy and he does not lie and when he swears then he does not break promises. His father is my closer friend.

What happened is that we opened up a dialogue about the best way to protect the PC.

He gave me stories which I could not sometimes believe and he can simply analyze the system and works on the basis of that sophisticated system.

What happened is that he recommended a software which I have been using for one year or more. The idea is that when you install Windows and modify your PC to a stage you desire and want then install that software so is freeze you PC so that when having any problem just restart your PC and that the problem is sorted out quite rapidly. I used it without installing anti virus at all this is entirely because of the fact that deletes any changes and removes any changes just when you restart your computer.

It is DEEP FREEZE

Read the information of that software before you use it.

According to our IT department experts Windows Millennium is better than XP.

Install Windows Millennium not XP because the latter is better. This fact is mentioned in one of the SDL Trados forums and I noticed that by practice.

Finally that naughty boy gave an advice which means
"Use Deep Freeze and never complain after it"

Yours
Mr.Imad
Translator, writer, and lecturer
Collapse

Dina Abdo
Palestine
Member (2005)
Arabic
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
But I do get connected Heinrich! Mar 7, 2006

Once I'm connected and having my system awake once again, I'm just connected until I disconnect myself. Still, I contacted my ISP and told them about the problem I'm having. They said it has nothing to do with the connection; especially that I didn't adjust my connection settings they first made when they installed my ADSL modem and all.

Heinrich Pesch wrote:

A service person could come and test your system.

Heinrich

It's still not working

Dina Abdo
Palestine
Member (2005)
Arabic
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I guess I'll give it a shot! Mar 7, 2006

Imad Almaghary wrote:

It is DEEP FREEZE

Read the information of that software before you use it.

Thank you

Imad Almaghary (X)
Imad Almaghary (X)
English to Arabic
+ ...
Hi again Mar 7, 2006

I agree with Heinrich

Since you have connection then this means that the modem driver is okay and therefore the system works in a good mood. There is another problem and I say this for sure. Follow the following steps:
1. Save your data on external CDs.
2. Format your PC.
3. Install Windows Millennium.
4. Install other important elements.
5. Install Deep Freeze (Full version).
6. As you install it then freeze C drive only and be careful of lo
... See more
I agree with Heinrich

Since you have connection then this means that the modem driver is okay and therefore the system works in a good mood. There is another problem and I say this for sure. Follow the following steps:
1. Save your data on external CDs.
2. Format your PC.
3. Install Windows Millennium.
4. Install other important elements.
5. Install Deep Freeze (Full version).
6. As you install it then freeze C drive only and be careful of locations once saving files because you can not save on C drive. I tested this and other friends and it is working well.

Yours
Mr. Imad
Collapse

Heinrich Pesch
Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
Maybe conflict of firewalls or antivirus software Mar 8, 2006

Look if there is more than one firewall software active and remove all except the one you are about to use.
Regards
Heinrich

Dina Abdo
Palestine
Member (2005)
Arabic
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Nope! Mar 8, 2006

Heinrich Pesch wrote:

Look if there is more than one firewall software active and remove all except the one you are about to use.
Regards
Heinrich

It's only one firwall, and I disabled it. I'm running my computer without an antivirus or firewalls since three days now trying to find out the cause of this problem, while surfing the net and downloading files from all over the internet

How brave!

tlmurray (X)
tlmurray (X)
Local time: 02:43
English
Sounds like you're not being issued an IP Mar 9, 2006

When your system connects to the internet, it tries to establish an IP address. The IP is given out by your router or modem (which may have a simple router in it). If the network connection can't get an IP, it keeps trying and trying. Once in a while this is caused by a router, but most often it's Windows.

One you've actually waited and are now on line, try this: in a command prompt, enter "ipconfig /release" and then follow up with "inconfig /renew". If the renew takes forever,
... See more
When your system connects to the internet, it tries to establish an IP address. The IP is given out by your router or modem (which may have a simple router in it). If the network connection can't get an IP, it keeps trying and trying. Once in a while this is caused by a router, but most often it's Windows.

One you've actually waited and are now on line, try this: in a command prompt, enter "ipconfig /release" and then follow up with "inconfig /renew". If the renew takes forever, it's probably Windows.

You could try giving yourself a static IP. Not all modems with minimal routers can do this, but even the cheapest standalone router can. Then, you use your network setup to enter the static IP (something along the lines of 192.168.0.1).

The problem is that your machine is now rather hard-wired into your home, and working at Starbucks would require more configuring. Simple in Macintosh, painful in Windows.

I would think that a better solution would be to remove your network connections and delete your network interface hardware from Windows' hardware list. Windows will reinstall the network interface the next time you boot up -- make sure to have drivers at the ready, via download, so they're most current -- in case it asks for them. Then, you would re-create the actual network connection.
Collapse

Dina Abdo
Palestine
Member (2005)
Arabic
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Makes sense! Mar 9, 2006

But I had a different response from my computer than I expected.

tlmurray wrote:

One you've actually waited and are now on line, try this: in a command prompt, enter "ipconfig /release" and then follow up with "inconfig /renew". If the renew takes forever, it's probably Windows.

This is the response I got:

"No operation can be performed on Local Area Connection while it has its media disconnected". Still, I went on with the second command (inconfig/renew), and I got this:

"inconfig is not recognized as an internal or external command"

And when it didn't work out, I went for your second suggestion:

tlmurray wrote:

ove your network connections and delete your network interface hardware from Windows' hardware list. Windows will reinstall the network interface the next time you boot up -- make sure to have drivers at the ready, via download, so they're most current -- in case it asks for them. Then, you would re-create the actual network connection. [/quote]

But it's still the same problem here, and I'm the one about to lose her mind soon

Thanks a lot for your help. They make sense to me actually, but I don't know what's going on with my windows here. I'll keep trying anyway

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Laureana Pavon[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Once connected, the whole system is stuck!

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »