Thread poster: PFB (X)
PFB (X)
PFB (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 06:47
English to French
+ ...
Feb 25, 2006

Hello everyone!

I have noticed that when you email someone who is away from their office, you sometimes get a message saying they will not be back until... etc.

Does anyone know how I should set up Outlook in order to be able to send the same kind of message?

My version of Outlook is the one that came with Microsoft Office XP, Version 2002. I believe it's regularly updated automatically - if that means anything.

Many thanks in advance for your
... See more
Hello everyone!

I have noticed that when you email someone who is away from their office, you sometimes get a message saying they will not be back until... etc.

Does anyone know how I should set up Outlook in order to be able to send the same kind of message?

My version of Outlook is the one that came with Microsoft Office XP, Version 2002. I believe it's regularly updated automatically - if that means anything.

Many thanks in advance for your help.
Collapse

MichaelRS (X)
MichaelRS (X)
With the provider Feb 25, 2006

The function is usually available from your Internet provider.

If you think about it, you will not be downloading e-mails with Outlook when you are on vacation or away from the office --- unless you let your computer run with Outlook open the entire time.

I think most Internet providers (for instance 1&1) provide this service.

Sara Freitas
Sara Freitas
France
French to English
I confirm that... Feb 25, 2006

Here are the instructions from MS Outlook help:

Répondre automatiquement aux messages entrants en cas d'absence du bureau
Il se peut qu'une partie du contenu de cette rubrique ne soit pas applicable à certaines langues.

Cette fonction nécessite Microsoft Exchange.

Dans le menu Outils, cliquez sur Gestionnaire d'absence du bureau.
Cliquez sur Je suis actuellement absent du bureau.
Dans la zone Texte de la réponse automatique envoyée une seule fois à chaque expéditeur, tapez le message que vous souhaitez envoyer pendant votre absence.
Vous pouvez, si vous le souhaitez, créer des règles pour gérer vos messages entrants.
Procédure

Il se peut qu'une partie du contenu de cette rubrique ne soit pas applicable à certaines langues.

Cette fonction nécessite Microsoft Exchange.

Dans le menu Outils, cliquez sur Gestionnaire d'absence du bureau.
Cliquez sur Ajouter une règle.
Sous Lorsqu'un message répondant aux critères suivants arrive, spécifiez les conditions de la règle que le message doit remplir pour que l'action se produise.
Pour spécifier d'autres conditions, cliquez sur Options avancées, sélectionnez les options souhaitées, puis cliquez sur OK.
Pour spécifier que cette règle est la dernière à appliquer, activez la case à cocher Ne pas traiter les règles suivantes.
Pour obtenir de l'aide sur une option, cliquez sur ?.

Sous Accomplir ces actions, sélectionnez une ou plusieurs options.
Remarque Si vous spécifiez qu'un message doit être supprimé, les règles qui suivent la règle de suppression dans la liste des règles de la boîte de dialogue Gestionnaire d'absence du bureau n'affectent pas le message.

Much easier to do it with your e-mail provider (your ISP, hosting company, or Web-based mail provider), which is what I do.

Good luck!

Sara

Ricki Farn
Ricki Farn
Germany
English to German
Agree - use Internet provider's service Feb 25, 2006

> Cette fonction nécessite Microsoft Exchange.

Yeah, that's the point - you can only use the Outlook "Out of office wizard" if you are in a company that has an Exchange server running the whole time. This is not an option for an individual freelancer.

My internet provider also offers this, called an "Autoresponder", and I found it very easy to set up (once I had figured out how to access the mail options, in my case through a confixx web user interface - but most inte
... See more
> Cette fonction nécessite Microsoft Exchange.

Yeah, that's the point - you can only use the Outlook "Out of office wizard" if you are in a company that has an Exchange server running the whole time. This is not an option for an individual freelancer.

My internet provider also offers this, called an "Autoresponder", and I found it very easy to set up (once I had figured out how to access the mail options, in my case through a confixx web user interface - but most internet providers are happy to explain).

Have a nice weekend,
Ricki
Collapse

PFB (X)
PFB (X)  Identity Verified
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks everyone! Feb 25, 2006

So I'll get in touch with my ISP then.

Your help was priceless, as usual...

Cintia Pecellin
Cintia Pecellin  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2003)
English to Spanish
Both! Feb 25, 2006

I would personally recommend both options: Outlook and your ISP; that's what I do.

See, sometimes I just need to be away for 2-3 hours, but leave my computer on. That's when I activate my Outlook rules for 'being away', 'at lunch', etc.

Then, when I'm REALLY off (more than 24 hours) I activate my off-rules with my Internet provider (lycos, in my case).

Good luck!
Zyntia.

Rahi Moosavi
Rahi Moosavi  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 01:47
Member (2004)
English to Persian (Farsi)
+ ...
Outlook or Outlook Express? Feb 27, 2006

I've been using my webserver's capabilities so far for autoresponders but never knew Outlook could do the same while running. However, I use Outlook Express not Outlook. Is it possible to use those rules in Outllok Express too? I can't find them in any of the munes.

Thanks!
Rahi

[Edited at 2006-02-27 03:58]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Laureana Pavon[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Answering Machine for Outlook?

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »