Dina Abdo
Dina Abdo  Identity Verified
Palestine
Local time: 12:18
Member (2005)
Arabic
+ ...
Feb 9, 2006

I've been receiving spams from MY yahoo account into MY hotmail account for about 2 weeks now!

I know I didn't send myself anything, and I know it's not someone else logging into my yahoo account because I kept changing the password and the problem remains. I even blocked my yahoo address in my hotmail account to make sure that I won't be receiving any emails from that account into mine (the hotmail one) ... but yet the problem remains.

the problem annoying me is that I
... See more
I've been receiving spams from MY yahoo account into MY hotmail account for about 2 weeks now!

I know I didn't send myself anything, and I know it's not someone else logging into my yahoo account because I kept changing the password and the problem remains. I even blocked my yahoo address in my hotmail account to make sure that I won't be receiving any emails from that account into mine (the hotmail one) ... but yet the problem remains.

the problem annoying me is that I'm not getting regular spams. I'm getting large size e-mails that are supposed to include pictures (xrated) and the hotmail virus scan identifies them as virus files.

I use my hotmail account a lot, and those e-mails are eating up all my mail storage!

any ideas?
Collapse

Magda Dziadosz
Magda Dziadosz  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 11:18
Member (2004)
English to Polish
+ ...
Nobody logs to your account... Feb 9, 2006

Hi Dina,
Nobody has to log into you account, the sender of the spam/virus probably only *appears* to be you. The spamers use all sorts of valid or invented e-mail addresses as cover, so changing your password makes not much sense. You may like to search the web for "email spoofing" to learn more.
Unfortunately, I don't know about any way to fight with it It happened to my in the past and after some time those e-mails j
... See more
Hi Dina,
Nobody has to log into you account, the sender of the spam/virus probably only *appears* to be you. The spamers use all sorts of valid or invented e-mail addresses as cover, so changing your password makes not much sense. You may like to search the web for "email spoofing" to learn more.
Unfortunately, I don't know about any way to fight with it It happened to my in the past and after some time those e-mails just stopped coming...

HTh,
Magda
Collapse

Monika Coulson
Monika Coulson  Identity Verified
Local time: 04:18
Member (2001)
English to Albanian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
High Security Level Feb 9, 2006

Set your security level High (Mail Options > Junk E-Mail Protection). This way, most Junk Mail ends up in the Junk Folder. Report the (real) addresses you are receiving Spam as Spam email.

It is difficult these days, but try the above first and see if things change a bit.

Good luck,
Monika

Dina Abdo wrote:

[Edited at 2006-02-09 18:45]

MichaelRS (X)
MichaelRS (X)
Spoofing Feb 9, 2006

You could look carefully at the full header and find out where the e-mails are REALLY coming from.

It sounds like someone is just using your e-mail as the ostensible origin (although it isn't really). They obviously want to disguise the real origin if they are spamming. You can get an idea of the real origin by looking at the full header. There are also programs to find out further information about where they are coming from.

There isn't much you can do to stop that
... See more
You could look carefully at the full header and find out where the e-mails are REALLY coming from.

It sounds like someone is just using your e-mail as the ostensible origin (although it isn't really). They obviously want to disguise the real origin if they are spamming. You can get an idea of the real origin by looking at the full header. There are also programs to find out further information about where they are coming from.

There isn't much you can do to stop that in reality, unless you really put a lot of effort into tracking down the person who is doing that.
Collapse

Anne Grimes
Anne Grimes
Canada
Local time: 06:18
Member (2005)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Yes, I was just going to say that.. Feb 9, 2006

..Michael. I have received a few emails that seemed to come from someone in my family, but when I looked at the full header I saw that they came from someone else. I blocked that email address that it really came from, and now I don't get them anymore. Just set your junk filter to high, and block any addresses that send the spam, and it should stop coming in soon. Anne

Dina Abdo
Palestine
Member (2005)
Arabic
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Well... Feb 9, 2006

Thank you all for your responses, but:

Magda, Michael and Anne
I tried finding out whether it's my account sending to my account by simply replying to the e-mail (real brave yeah). And guess what ... I got it into my inbox at yahoo just as I sent it from my hotmail account. So it is my account sending my other account.

Monika... See more
Thank you all for your responses, but:

Magda, Michael and Anne
I tried finding out whether it's my account sending to my account by simply replying to the e-mail (real brave yeah). And guess what ... I got it into my inbox at yahoo just as I sent it from my hotmail account. So it is my account sending my other account.

Monika
I did that already and it didn't work. I even blocked my own yahoo address from being received in my hotmail address and still the problem exists

I guess I'll just keep deleting those messages until they stop generating themselves alone from and to my accounts
Collapse

MichaelRS (X)
MichaelRS (X)
Reply may just pick up the false address Feb 9, 2006

If you hit "reply" on the e-mail, it just may be picking up the false address, not the real address (which is hidden in the full header).

If you kept changing your password, I doubt that it is really coming out of your e-mail account.

Manuel Leite
Manuel Leite  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 10:18
Member (2005)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Is your antivirus updated and running? Feb 10, 2006

One of the possibilities is that you have a worm in your computer.

Check, for instance, this

http://help.kontiki.com/enduser/group.jsp?node=12884

for information.

Best,

Manuel

Dina Abdo
Palestine
Member (2005)
Arabic
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I found something! Feb 10, 2006

Searching on google for the trouble it turned out that it's a new virus copying itself from one email to another or something like that until I get mad enough and download the files on my computer to check them and then BANG!

It's some how generated on yahoo groups (and I'm a member in many of them where I list those two e-mails specifically in my profile).

Well ... it doesn't solve the porblem but I can start thinking on other sides I believe...
See more
Searching on google for the trouble it turned out that it's a new virus copying itself from one email to another or something like that until I get mad enough and download the files on my computer to check them and then BANG!

It's some how generated on yahoo groups (and I'm a member in many of them where I list those two e-mails specifically in my profile).

Well ... it doesn't solve the porblem but I can start thinking on other sides I believe

Thanks everybody for your help
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Laureana Pavon[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Spams from me to me!

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »