Sandra B.
Sandra B.
Portugal
Local time: 01:46
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Jan 25, 2006

Dear all,

I need urgent help on how to restore the tool bar and the menus in Word. They were just gone and I don't know why. The only thing I have is the blue bar on the top (I have Word 2000).
Thanks a lot for any help.

Sandra

Jerzy Czopik
Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 02:46
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Were you working with Trados? Jan 25, 2006

If yes, a different approach will be needed.

If not, shut down Word. Go to c:\documents and settings\current user\applications\microsoft\templates (I assume you have Windows XP, and "current user" is your login name in Widows) and rename the "Normal.dot" you find there to xnormal.dot. Restart Word - it should be now resetted to factory settings. If you have had any autotextes, macros and so on, use the "Organise" feature to copy them from your previous Normal.dot (now xnormal.dot) t
... See more
If yes, a different approach will be needed.

If not, shut down Word. Go to c:\documents and settings\current user\applications\microsoft\templates (I assume you have Windows XP, and "current user" is your login name in Widows) and rename the "Normal.dot" you find there to xnormal.dot. Restart Word - it should be now resetted to factory settings. If you have had any autotextes, macros and so on, use the "Organise" feature to copy them from your previous Normal.dot (now xnormal.dot) to your new Normal.dot. Please refer to Word help how to find and use the "Organise" feature.
Close Word to save the new Normal.dot.

For the future I would advise you to let Word ask you every time before saving Normal.dot. In this way you would only save changes you made not by accident.

HTH
Jerzy
Collapse

Sandra B.
Sandra B.
Portugal
Local time: 01:46
English to Portuguese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Jan 25, 2006

Dear Jerzy,
Thanks a lot for your reply (yes, I was using Trados). I have managed to solve the problem in a different way from the one you have suggested. For anyone you may be interested, it was like that:

1. close down Word.
2. click on the 'Start' button then click on the 'Run' option.
3. type: winword.exe /a then press Enter.
4. click OK to accept your username and initials (or alter them).
5. See Word with menu and toolbars.

Cheers
... See more
Dear Jerzy,
Thanks a lot for your reply (yes, I was using Trados). I have managed to solve the problem in a different way from the one you have suggested. For anyone you may be interested, it was like that:

1. close down Word.
2. click on the 'Start' button then click on the 'Run' option.
3. type: winword.exe /a then press Enter.
4. click OK to accept your username and initials (or alter them).
5. See Word with menu and toolbars.

Cheers
Sandra
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Laureana Pavon[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Tool bar and menus disappeared from Word

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »