Editing images in Word
Thread poster: Anne Brackenborough (X)
Anne Brackenborough (X)
Anne Brackenborough (X)  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 13:06
German to English
Jan 23, 2006

I've been given some Word files and told I also have to edit the words in the images in it; however, when I save the images onto my desktop then open them in an external editor, the image contains only one corner of the original image and that is blurred. Is this normal? Is there any other way I could edit them? I'll be having to delete existing words and write in new ones.

I have been trying to get my customer to send me the original photos, but they haven't come up with them yet.
... See more
I've been given some Word files and told I also have to edit the words in the images in it; however, when I save the images onto my desktop then open them in an external editor, the image contains only one corner of the original image and that is blurred. Is this normal? Is there any other way I could edit them? I'll be having to delete existing words and write in new ones.

I have been trying to get my customer to send me the original photos, but they haven't come up with them yet. Of course it would be much better, as I need a higher resolution to get better results, right? I know the basics about image editing but am not an expert on graphics - can anyone provide me with a good explanation of why it doesn't work just to have the Word files?
Collapse

Marijke Singer
Marijke Singer  Identity Verified
Spain
Dutch to English
+ ...
Editing images Jan 23, 2006

Why are you opening them on your desktop with a separate editor?

Usually you can click on the image in the Word file using the right mouse button and take it from there. It depends on the package used to make the image.

Many images can be edited with Visio which will be automatically linked to Word (I usually use this).

I think we need more information.

Anne Brackenborough (X)
Anne Brackenborough (X)  Identity Verified
Germany
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
I can't make Word use my image editor. Jan 23, 2006

Marijke Singer wrote:

Why are you opening them on your desktop with a separate editor?

a) I'm supposed to be "providing the images in a separate file"
b) if I right-click all I get is the Word image editing programme which is not good enough.

I used to be able to edit images with my external editor from within Word, but now we have a new computer and I've clicked on everything and can't find an option for that. I'm using XP with Word 2000.

When I go to the options page in Word it has a drop-down menu for the image editor, but only the Word one appears there. On my computer I have Photoshop Elements and I even tried installing an ancient Micrografx Picture Publisher, but neither appear.

[Edited at 2006-01-23 08:22]

Alexei Abramov
Alexei Abramov  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 15:06
English to Russian
Try pdf Jan 23, 2006

Anne Koth wrote:

a) I'm supposed to be "providing the images in a separate file"
b) if I right-click all I get is the Word image editing programme which is not good enough.

I used to be able to edit images with my external editor from within Word, but now we have a new computer and I've clicked on everything and can't find an option for that. I'm using XP with Word 2000.

When I go to the options page in Word it has a drop-down menu for the image editor, but only the Word one appears there. On my computer I have Photoshop Elements and I even tried installing an ancient Micrografx Picture Publisher, but neither appear.

[Edited at 2006-01-23 08:22]

Hi, Anne,

Try converting your Word file into pdf and copying images in Photoshop Elements from the .pdf file. I've just toyed with my .jpg photo pasted in a Word file and this was the only way I could get a normal quality image in Photoshop.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Laureana Pavon[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Editing images in Word

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »