Nervous cursor
Thread poster: Puicz (X)
Puicz (X)
Puicz (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 12:44
Swedish to English
Jan 18, 2006

I have a Toshiba laptop, bought in the USA some 3 years ago, on which I run Windows XP (came installed – I don’t have the CD) with Word 2000.
I can’t type one paragraph in Word without the cursor jumping to some other point in the text, even sometimes jumping clear out of the window. Luckily I don’t use the laptop to translate with, or I would jump out of the window too.
Can anyone help with this problem? At first I tried to bring it to the attention of Toshiba but got no res
... See more
I have a Toshiba laptop, bought in the USA some 3 years ago, on which I run Windows XP (came installed – I don’t have the CD) with Word 2000.
I can’t type one paragraph in Word without the cursor jumping to some other point in the text, even sometimes jumping clear out of the window. Luckily I don’t use the laptop to translate with, or I would jump out of the window too.
Can anyone help with this problem? At first I tried to bring it to the attention of Toshiba but got no response. Now I feel enough’s enough!
Collapse

Behnam Koleili
Behnam Koleili  Identity Verified
Iran
Local time: 14:14
Member (2004)
English to Persian (Farsi)
+ ...
Have you attached a mouse to your laptop? Jan 18, 2006

As far as I know this problem is often caused by a mouse. If you have attached a mouse to your laptop, check it. If you use an optical mouse, ensure you have an appropriate solid black mouse pad for it.

Best regards,
Behnam

CFTBrasil
CFTBrasil
English to Portuguese
Bad news Jan 18, 2006

I hope someone else can provide you a better solution. This happened to me in the past with a desktop, and it seems it was some (or many) kind of virus, remote controlling or something like that.
I formatted the disk, reinstalled everything and it worked. Viruses went all away.

Before doing anything make sure this could be your case and also wait for some less radical advice. This should be your last resource.<
... See more
I hope someone else can provide you a better solution. This happened to me in the past with a desktop, and it seems it was some (or many) kind of virus, remote controlling or something like that.
I formatted the disk, reinstalled everything and it worked. Viruses went all away.

Before doing anything make sure this could be your case and also wait for some less radical advice. This should be your last resource.

Good luck!

CFT
www.cftbrasil.com.br
Collapse

Natalie
Natalie  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2002)
English to Russian
+ ...

SITE LOCALIZER
Hi Jan 18, 2006

As your question is not related to CAT tools, I have moved the topic to the General technical issues forum.

Natalia

Natalie
Natalie  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2002)
English to Russian
+ ...

SITE LOCALIZER
You seem to be not alone Jan 18, 2006

Take a look at this threads, I hope you will find some useful information there:

See more
Take a look at this threads, I hope you will find some useful information there:

http://reviews.cnet.com/5208-6129-0.html?forumID=29&threadID=66043&messageID=783898

http://forums.designtechnica.com/archive/index.php/t-2235.html

http://www.augustafreepress.com/stories/storyReader$35168
Collapse

Puicz (X)
Swedish to English
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks for replies Jan 19, 2006

Thanks Behnam, CFTBrasil and Natalie for your replies. I'll check out the possibilities and report back.
As far as I can see, the problem isn't due to the mouse, as I used the touch pad for some time at the beginning when I first had the problem.

Puicz (X)
Swedish to English
TOPIC STARTER
Reformat Jan 19, 2006

It looks like CFTBrasil may have the solution, judging from a link to one of the links provided by Natalie. As I'll be getting the Windows XP software soon, I'll reformat and reinstall XP on the laptop and that should do the trick.
Thanks everyone for your help!
Mike

Charlotte Blank
Charlotte Blank  Identity Verified
Germany
Czech to German
+ ...
Also on Asus... Jan 24, 2006

Puicz wrote:
As I'll be getting the Windows XP software soon, I'll reformat and reinstall XP on the laptop and that should do the trick.
Mike

Hi Mike,

did it work for you? I'm enjoying the same problem on my relatively new (!) Asus notebook with Windows XP, the cursor keeps jumping across the screen no matter whether I'm using the touchpad or the mouse. I just read the other links but unfortunately nobody seems to have a definite solution

Charlotte

Puicz (X)
Swedish to English
TOPIC STARTER
Jumpin' Cursors! Jan 24, 2006

Charlotte Blank wrote:
did it work for you? I'm enjoying the same problem on my relatively new (!) Asus notebook with Windows XP, the cursor keeps jumping across the screen no matter whether I'm using the touchpad or the mouse.

Haven't got XP yet Charlotte, but when I install it I'll get back to you!
Mike

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Laureana Pavon[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Nervous cursor

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »