Astrid Elke Witte
Astrid Elke Witte  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 18:30
Member (2002)
German to English
+ ...
Jan 11, 2006

I am unable to open a Word document this morning. It is a bit of a disaster, because I have to translate it within the next two days. It consists of 10,000 words, I received it as a .pdf and I spent the entire day yesterday, after converting it with Abbyy Fine Reader, formatting it. I do not know what I will tell the client if I simply cannot open it, because I cannot start from the beginning again. There is not enough time for that, as I also have two other documents to translate by Friday.<... See more
I am unable to open a Word document this morning. It is a bit of a disaster, because I have to translate it within the next two days. It consists of 10,000 words, I received it as a .pdf and I spent the entire day yesterday, after converting it with Abbyy Fine Reader, formatting it. I do not know what I will tell the client if I simply cannot open it, because I cannot start from the beginning again. There is not enough time for that, as I also have two other documents to translate by Friday.

It says "Zugriff verweigert" (access denied). I tried renaming it, but the same happened. Can anyone help at all?
Collapse

Michele Johnson
Michele Johnson  Identity Verified
Germany
German to English
+ ...
Try Wordpad? See also "trick" below Jan 11, 2006

Are you unable to open *any* word docs, or is it just this one? I'd start Wordpad and try to open it from there. I just tested it and it seems to maintain at least rudimentary formatting. Then you could try to re-save it under a different file name, but as a Word document.

Are you on a network where someone else could be currently accessing the file?

Do you have a laptop or other computer where you could try to open it? It may be that the Word program is having probl
... See more
Are you unable to open *any* word docs, or is it just this one? I'd start Wordpad and try to open it from there. I just tested it and it seems to maintain at least rudimentary formatting. Then you could try to re-save it under a different file name, but as a Word document.

Are you on a network where someone else could be currently accessing the file?

Do you have a laptop or other computer where you could try to open it? It may be that the Word program is having problems but the file is fine.

Edited: I just read the following interesting tip:
http://techrepublic.com.com/5208-6230-0.html?forumID=12&threadID=132468&messageID=797215
On coping with rogue word documents:
-------------------
"There's a trick which has saved several Word documents in my experience - even some so corrupted they crashed Word when that file was opened.
If you create a new empty Word file then go File > Insert, Word detects there's nothing in your new file and basically does a File > Open on the file you are 'inserting'.
If you hit Enter twice first in your new document, then go File > Insert, Word seems to try to extract the content from the inserted file and add it to the new file after your existing'content' (however little that may be).
This appears to often pull much or all of the content in from files that will not open correctly themselves.
After that you simply delete your bogus 'content' from the 'new document' and go your way with whatever data you have rescued. I may be mistaken on my guess of how this trick works but I have seen it rescue data quite a number of times.
Passed along in the hope it can help others"
-------------------

Assuming you are working with German Word, I think you would from the empty file go "Einfügen: Datei" and tell it the name of the file you're having problems with.

[Edited at 2006-01-11 08:15]
Collapse

Astrid Elke Witte
Astrid Elke Witte  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2002)
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Wordpad worked! Jan 11, 2006

Thank you, Michele, you saved my day! The insertion trick did not work, I still got "Zugriff verweigert". Then I tried opening it in Wordpad, as you suggested, and it opened immediately. After that I saved it to Word - in Wordpad that was only possible as an .rtf document. I could then open it in Word and change it to a Word document. Around 99% of the formatting work I did yesterday is still intact! So, thanks very much indeed!

Astrid

Piotr Bienkowski
Piotr Bienkowski  Identity Verified
Poland
English to Polish
+ ...
Masqueraded DOC from ABBYY Finereader/ also try OO.org Writer Jan 11, 2006

Astrid Elke Johnson wrote:

Thank you, Michele, you saved my day! The insertion trick did not work, I still got "Zugriff verweigert". Then I tried opening it in Wordpad, as you suggested, and it opened immediately. After that I saved it to Word - in Wordpad that was only possible as an .rtf document. I could then open it in Word and change it to a Word document. Around 99% of the formatting work I did yesterday is still intact! So, thanks very much indeed!

Astrid

Although Finereader is my OCR sofware of choice, I realized one trick it uses to save DOC files. The doc file is actually RTF inside! You can check it by dragging it and dropping on an open Notepad window for example. So one of the first things I do after exporting a DOC from Finereader is to hit F12 or File>Save as in Word and save it as a genuine DOC. Note the file type box just after you open the Save as dialog box.

OpenOffice.org Writer can also fix a nasty DOC. Yesterday a DOC I exported from SDL TagEditor 7.1 crashed Word repeatedly. So I opened it in OpenOffice.org 2.0 Writer and edited only one character and then saved as DOC again. The file was cured.

HTH

Piotr

tectranslate ITS GmbH
tectranslate ITS GmbH
German
+ ...
Access denied Jan 11, 2006

Most "access denied" errors can be fixed by rebooting the PC, as that will clear out any running processes that may still be accessing the file exclusively. I assume you've tried that before going the Wordpad route?

Benjamin

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Laureana Pavon[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Word document refuses to open

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »