Jaroslaw Michalak
Jaroslaw Michalak  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 01:34
Member (2004)
English to Polish
SITE LOCALIZER
Two alternatives Jan 8, 2006

I agree with Vito. If possible (and I know that might not be, as clients sometimes not easy to educate) present the agency with two alternatives:
1. You try to keep the original format. In your case, that would mean producing PDFs which follow the outline of the originals (but you would not have to worry about templates and whatever).
2. You don't care about the format - that is you provide your Word translation which is as close to the original as it can done without much editing ef
... See more
I agree with Vito. If possible (and I know that might not be, as clients sometimes not easy to educate) present the agency with two alternatives:
1. You try to keep the original format. In your case, that would mean producing PDFs which follow the outline of the originals (but you would not have to worry about templates and whatever).
2. You don't care about the format - that is you provide your Word translation which is as close to the original as it can done without much editing effort.

The most important point in the discussion is that they want you to keep the format which in fact they did not provide! (PDFs cannot really be considered "formatted".) In other words, they want you to do extra DTP work. You might subtly point out that it should be taken care of by the agency (or paid additionally - make it expensive...).

I know the situation quite well, as I have often put too much effort into DTP - I just simply could not send out an ugly document - but the effort was rarely appreciated. ("It looks nice, but so did the original - what's the big deal?")

So it seems the hardest task for you would be to make someone think - either the agency or the end client. And that might be more difficult than editing piles of PDFs...
Collapse

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Laureana Pavon[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

PDF Converters: Bane or Blessing?

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »