Ines Burrell  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 15:38
Member (2004)
English to Latvian
+ ...
Dec 12, 2005

Dear colleagues,

I have a separate keyboard that I need to connect to my laptop as it contains Russian letters which I do not have on my laptop keyboard. I have the right USB adaptor for this purpose and the keyboard worked fine the last time I connected it. However this is not the case now. When I connect the USB connector the keyboard lights come up but then it just does not react to anything.
Are there any settings or other clever things I can check?

Thanks in
... See more
Dear colleagues,

I have a separate keyboard that I need to connect to my laptop as it contains Russian letters which I do not have on my laptop keyboard. I have the right USB adaptor for this purpose and the keyboard worked fine the last time I connected it. However this is not the case now. When I connect the USB connector the keyboard lights come up but then it just does not react to anything.
Are there any settings or other clever things I can check?

Thanks in advance,
Burrell
Collapse

Ricki Farn
Ricki Farn
Germany
Local time: 16:38
English to German
Control panel Dec 12, 2005

Look in Start > Settings > Control Panel under Keyboard > Hardware to see if the keyboard is recognized. Also in Control Panel, go to System > Hardware > Device Manager and refresh all entries relating to USB. (Assuming you are on Windows)

Good luck,
Ricki

[Edited at 2005-12-12 14:00]

Ines Burrell
United Kingdom
Member (2004)
English to Latvian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks, Ricki! Dec 12, 2005

I have no idea what did the trick but after I started to go through the CP and pressing all sorts of buttons, it started working. Maybe it just got scared - I was quite annoyed.
Anyhow, thanks for help!

Ines

Kevin Fulton
Kevin Fulton  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 10:38
German to English
Reboot / Add Hardware Dec 12, 2005

Have you tried rebooting? This often forces the system to recognize hardware.
Another alternative is to go to the Control Panel and use the "Add Hardware" option.

If your computer has a second USB port, try plugging into that. One of my USB ports is unreliable when using an external mouse. The other accepts it every time.

Ines Burrell
United Kingdom
Member (2004)
English to Latvian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Kevin! Dec 12, 2005

Kevin Fulton wrote:

Have you tried rebooting? This often forces the system to recognize hardware.

Another alternative is to go to the Control Panel and use the "Add Hardware" option.

If your computer has a second USB port, try plugging into that. One of my USB ports is unreliable when using an external mouse. The other accepts it every time.

I might have to use your advie if this happens again. Knowing my luck, it probably will. Thanks!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Laureana Pavon[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Cannot connect keyboard to laptop

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »