Patricia Posadas
Patricia Posadas  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 20:10
English to Spanish
+ ...
Dec 10, 2005

Dear colleagues,

I use Internet Explorer 6.0 and a few days ago I started to have problems entering secure sites (my bank's, for instance, were I can't navigate and I get a message saying there is a java problem) and I also have problems displaying text: all letters with an accent appear as Chinese-like characters, other letters appear as a square box, etc.

This doesn't affect text written in English, but I do get a 'syntax error' message when entering this message pos
... See more
Dear colleagues,

I use Internet Explorer 6.0 and a few days ago I started to have problems entering secure sites (my bank's, for instance, were I can't navigate and I get a message saying there is a java problem) and I also have problems displaying text: all letters with an accent appear as Chinese-like characters, other letters appear as a square box, etc.

This doesn't affect text written in English, but I do get a 'syntax error' message when entering this message posting place, for instance...

Right now, in the Kudoz translation section for instance there is a word in French I guess, that I see as "sous-d鴡il" ("sous-d[strange Chinese-like character]il")

Any hints?

Thanks in advance!

Patricia
Collapse

Sarah Brenchley
Sarah Brenchley  Identity Verified
Local time: 21:10
Spanish to English
+ ...
Check the view option Dec 10, 2005

If you go to the VIEW boz at the top of the browser and go to CHARACTER ENCODING, check that WESTERN has been chosen.
That normally seems to work for me when there are weird signs on the page.
Best wishes,
Ssrah.

Patricia Posadas
Patricia Posadas  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 20:10
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
GREAT!!!! Dec 10, 2005

Sarah you saved my life!!!

It was so simple to fix... once you know:-)

¡Muchísimas gracias!

[

Ashar
Ashar  Identity Verified
Pakistan
Local time: 00:10
English to Urdu
+ ...
Strange characters Dec 10, 2005

I am not sure about your case but when you enable the East Asian and Middle Easter option in Language and Regional Options of Windows XP, this situation is encountered. If you have done it, check the Languages tab and select only English in that.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Laureana Pavon[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Explorer displaying strange characters

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »