Can Altinbay
Can Altinbay  Identity Verified
Local time: 19:09
Japanese to English
+ ...
In memoriam
Nov 23, 2005

A client has asked me:

"I also wanted to ask you if you provide the translation in Unicode using ISO 859-1 standards."

The source and target formats are Microsoft Word. The source document consists of a series of keywords=text type paragraphs, a format I don't recognize. There are also some lines consisting of "\n\", which look like the old C line feed-carriage return code.

Does anyone have any thoughts on how this should be addressed?

Sonja Tomaskovic (X)
Sonja Tomaskovic (X)  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 01:09
English to German
+ ...
First of all... Nov 23, 2005

...ISO 8859-1 is NOT Unicode, that is something your client should know.
If I were you I'd ask him to confirm what character set he wants me to work in... Unicode (UTF-8, UTF-16) or ISO 8859-1. Whether or not you can provide this translation in the required character set depends on your target language (i.e. whether 8859-1 contains those characters necessary).

What you are describing seems to be some sort of text file with computer strings. /n is a carriage return and is usua
... See more
...ISO 8859-1 is NOT Unicode, that is something your client should know.
If I were you I'd ask him to confirm what character set he wants me to work in... Unicode (UTF-8, UTF-16) or ISO 8859-1. Whether or not you can provide this translation in the required character set depends on your target language (i.e. whether 8859-1 contains those characters necessary).

What you are describing seems to be some sort of text file with computer strings. /n is a carriage return and is usually used to mark a new line in strings that are used, for instance, in dialog boxes. It is also used in PHP and many other programming/scripting languages, so your text file could be anything from software strings to dynamic website content.

HTH.

Regards,

Sonja

P.S. Just noticed that you mentioned that the text looks like this:
KEYWORD = Text. /n More Text.

If that is the case, it very much looks like a Java properties file to me.

[Edited at 2005-11-23 09:36]
Collapse

Seema Ugrankar
Seema Ugrankar  Identity Verified
India
Local time: 04:39
English to Gujarati
+ ...
A few tips on providing the translation in Unicode Nov 23, 2005

Hi,

You have not mentioned which operating system you are using and which is your target language. And I am not sure it is "ISO 859-1" character set your client has asked for. It could well be "ISO-8859-1", as I have seen it misspelt as "ISO-859-1" many times on the web. It is one of the character encodings for displaying text in the browsers [for e.g. View>Character Encoding>Western (ISO-8859-1) in Firefox and View>Western European (ISO) in Internet Explorer].

... See more
Hi,

You have not mentioned which operating system you are using and which is your target language. And I am not sure it is "ISO 859-1" character set your client has asked for. It could well be "ISO-8859-1", as I have seen it misspelt as "ISO-859-1" many times on the web. It is one of the character encodings for displaying text in the browsers [for e.g. View>Character Encoding>Western (ISO-8859-1) in Firefox and View>Western European (ISO) in Internet Explorer].

I am not familiar with Japanese, your target language, but I am fairly comfortable using unicode in my languages Hindi and Gujarati. I did a bit of research on the web for Japanese Unicode and have found out that if you are using WinXP/Windows 2000 and have already installed the East Asian languages/Multilanguage Support, all you have to do is translate the document using the default Japanese font (MS Mincho) provided by WinXP/Win. If you use Win9x, you may need to install a unicode font (like Arial Unicode MS or any of the japanese unicode fonts available at http://www.travelphrases.info/gallery/Fonts_Japanese.html) and an editor like multikey for MS-Word (from www.multikey.com) to type the text using the unicode font.

Best Regards,

Seema Ugrankar
Collapse

Rodolfo Raya
Rodolfo Raya  Identity Verified
Local time: 20:09
English to Spanish
Encoded Unicode Nov 23, 2005

Can Altinbay wrote:

A client has asked me:

"I also wanted to ask you if you provide the translation in Unicode using ISO 859-1 standards."

The source and target formats are Microsoft Word. The source document consists of a series of keywords=text type paragraphs, a format I don't recognize. There are also some lines consisting of "\n\", which look like the old C line feed-carriage return code.

Does anyone have any thoughts on how this should be addressed?

Hi,

It looks like you have to translate a Java properties file. Your language pais mention Japanese and I suppose that you are translating from English to Japanes.

Java properties files MUST be written using ISO8859-1 character set. This character set only supports 255 characters, good enough for most western languages but not for Japanese.

Your translation must use "encoded Unicode". This means that every Japanese character must be converted to hexadecimal format. You will end with something that looks like this:

string1=\u0f23\u3463\u2467....

where each group \uXXXX represents the Unicode character with code XXXX.

You need a specialized tool for doing this translation. Get a demo of Heartsome XLIFF Editor from http://www.heartsome.net and try it. It is written in Java and supports translating Java properties.

Regards,
Rodolfo

[Edited at 2005-11-23 11:58]

Can Altinbay
Can Altinbay  Identity Verified
Local time: 19:09
Japanese to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
In memoriam
Properties file - of course Nov 23, 2005

Rodolfo Raya wrote:

Hi,

It looks like you have to translate a Java properties file. Your language pais mention Japanese and I suppose that you are translating from English to Japanes.

Java properties files MUST be written using ISO8859-1 character set. This character set only supports 255 characters, good enough for most western languages but not for Japanese.

Your translation must use "encoded Unicode". This means that every Japanese character must be converted to hexadecimal format. You will end with something that looks like this:

string1=\u0f23\u3463\u2467....

where each group \uXXXX represents the Unicode character with code XXXX.

You need a specialized tool for doing this translation. Get a demo of Heartsome XLIFF Editor from http://www.heartsome.net and try it. It is written in Java and supports translating Java properties.

Regards,
Rodolfo

[Edited at 2005-11-23 11:58]

I was thinking there was something about the format that rang a bell. I'm not familiar with Java, but in localizing an application, I used external files in Visual Studio - similar concept.

Sorry, I should have sad the translation is English to Japanese, and my OS is WinXP.

I'll take a look at the editor you cited, but I'm not sure I am that interested in doing this sort of thing right at the moment, so I may decline the job instead. Would you mind if I share your information with the agency that wants me to do this?

Rodolfo Raya
Rodolfo Raya  Identity Verified
Local time: 20:09
English to Spanish
Public information Nov 23, 2005

Can Altinbay wrote:
Would you mind if I share your information with the agency that wants me to do this?

The information posted here is public. You can send a link to this page to the agency.

Regards,
Rodolfo

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Laureana Pavon[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Providing the translation in Unicode

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »