Claudia Iglesias  Identity Verified
Chile
Local time: 12:41
Member (2002)
Spanish to French
+ ...
Nov 21, 2005

Hi

I sent my translation to the proofreader and he couldn't see my comments (Label comments in Word) nor what I had highlighted. When he opened the doc again he could see it.

In my first page I have a big logo in top of the page, then 2 columns.
But it splits alone and the logo remains in the first page and the 2 columns go to page 2 and 3. I managed, switching to "View-> Web design", to put everything in the same page, but I'm asked to send a PDF too, and the PDF
... See more
Hi

I sent my translation to the proofreader and he couldn't see my comments (Label comments in Word) nor what I had highlighted. When he opened the doc again he could see it.

In my first page I have a big logo in top of the page, then 2 columns.
But it splits alone and the logo remains in the first page and the 2 columns go to page 2 and 3. I managed, switching to "View-> Web design", to put everything in the same page, but I'm asked to send a PDF too, and the PDF doesn't see the same thing than me.

I've been fighting with this for hours, please, help.

Claudia
Collapse

pcovs
pcovs
Denmark
Local time: 16:41
English to Danish
Have you tried to save as html? Nov 21, 2005

I'm not sure if this would do the trick for you - it's just a thought.

Oh yes, and then obviously converting the html to pdf ;o)

[Edited at 2005-11-21 19:15]

Claudia Iglesias
Chile
Member (2002)
Spanish to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Now I tried Nov 21, 2005

The html looks fine, but the PDF doesn't see everything.
Some things disappear as if they were written in white over white paper.

Thanks anyway

Claudia

pcovs
pcovs
Denmark
English to Danish
I guess your converter says nothing? Nov 21, 2005

Sometimes my pdf-converter tells me that a font is not recognized and will therefore probably not be shown correctly in the pdf. But I guess your converter is silent?

In my case the usual result is a blank space where the text should have been, but this is easily corrected by chosing another font.

I'm sorry I cannot be of more help.
Hope you figure it out or you can get out of delivering a pdf.

Javier Herrera (X)
Javier Herrera (X)
Spanish
... Nov 21, 2005

Hi Claudia,
It looks to me that the two problems are totally different.
If your proofreader can't see something, he'll have to change his options in view or tools. I remember it happened to me, the images wouldn't appear on the screen, but were on printed copies or the preview. I can't remember what box needs ticking but it's just trying for a few minutes.
It also happened to me that a text appeared in the next page to an image. That is really a nightmare, I must admit that I d
... See more
Hi Claudia,
It looks to me that the two problems are totally different.
If your proofreader can't see something, he'll have to change his options in view or tools. I remember it happened to me, the images wouldn't appear on the screen, but were on printed copies or the preview. I can't remember what box needs ticking but it's just trying for a few minutes.
It also happened to me that a text appeared in the next page to an image. That is really a nightmare, I must admit that I didn't find the solution and I started the document all over again.
One dirty way of doing it would be to open a brand new document, insert a table and change the size of boxes to fit your pictures and texts in them ressembling the original lay-out as much as possible. You'll just have to copypaste. At the end you can make the table lines invisible in "styles". Thus it won't look like it's a table.
It's not the real solution to the underlying problem, but you can try if you're stuck.
J.
Collapse

Javier Herrera (X)
Javier Herrera (X)
Spanish
Oh! Nov 21, 2005

Claudia Iglesias wrote:

But it splits alone and the logo remains in the first page and the 2 columns go to page 2 and 3.

That horrible thing happens when the translation is longer than the original. At some point things no longer fit in one page. But the program is not clever enough to put it into one page and three extra lines, as it would a plain text. For some reason, half of the document jumps to the bottom of a different page. This can be prevented if you reduce the text's size. Try to delete useless paragraph marks, if there are any or, you may need to reduce the number of words even though you hate doing so. An alternative would be to reduce the font size minimally (you can enter manually decimate points that are not on the drop-down list, ie, 8.5 instead of 9).
HTH
J.

Claudia Iglesias
Chile
Member (2002)
Spanish to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Nov 21, 2005

Toledo contacted me to offer help.

My PDF converter doesn't say anything but I can't change fonts.

The funny thing is that the client sent me the Japanese version saying "I want the logo as it is in the Jap. version" and I can't see the logo.

My friend Toledo doiscovered that there were notes that had to be removed. He made a nice Word document, and when I try to convert it to PDF, I can't. Once again everything is split.

I would try to copy-pa
... See more
Toledo contacted me to offer help.

My PDF converter doesn't say anything but I can't change fonts.

The funny thing is that the client sent me the Japanese version saying "I want the logo as it is in the Jap. version" and I can't see the logo.

My friend Toledo doiscovered that there were notes that had to be removed. He made a nice Word document, and when I try to convert it to PDF, I can't. Once again everything is split.

I would try to copy-paste if I was sure that it will work, but I'll be only able to change the Word doc, which now is fine, I have no guarantee that the PDF will work.

I'm not sure I understood all that you suggest, Javier, please say it if I should explore something else.

Thanks anyway

Claudia
Collapse

Javier Herrera (X)
Javier Herrera (X)
Spanish
What splits, the doc or the pdf? Nov 21, 2005

Now it looks to me like it's the pdf. I thought you meant the doc and that's why I told you about some tricks to prevent it. If it's the pdf that's not showing what you see in the doc, then, I have no idea.
J.

Claudia Iglesias
Chile
Member (2002)
Spanish to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Everything was splitting Nov 21, 2005

First, the Word document, that seems to be fine now, but I don't know whether we all are going to see the same thing.

The PDF doesn't show what's in the Word doc for now.

Thank you guys, those online and out of line that are trying to help.

Claudia

Nicolette Ri (X)
Nicolette Ri (X)
French to Dutch
+ ...
You could try this Nov 22, 2005

Look if the page length is 29,7 cm. Sometimes printers and PDF-converters which are based on a printer driver don't know what to do or are going mad if the page length is not standard A4.

Han Li
Han Li  Identity Verified
China
Local time: 23:41
English to Chinese
+ ...
Try this way Nov 22, 2005

The html looks fine, but the PDF doesn't see everything.
Some things disappear as if they were written in white over white paper.

I encountered this problem some days ago,I made a PDF file for my friend,but he can not see anything in the file.Then I open the file with Adobe Acrobat,in the file menu,select "reduce the file size",then in the pop box,select compatible to "Adobe 5.0 or newer version",confirm.
Give this file to the proofreader,I think he can see the file.
(Because I use Adobe Acrobat Chinese Simp. version, the selection is what I translate to English,but you can find the similar meaning)

Best regards,
Han Li

Marie-Hélène Hayles
Marie-Hélène Hayles  Identity Verified
Italian to English
+ ...
How to see the logo (possibly) Nov 22, 2005

Claudia Iglesias wrote:

I'm afraid I can't help with anything else, but if you're having problems seeing logos in Word then you probably need to go first into visualise -> print layout, then in tools -> options make sure you've got your "images" box ticked. (Learnt through bitter experience - my **** version of Word refuses to save this as my default, so I have to remember to select it every time.)

Claudia Iglesias
Chile
Member (2002)
Spanish to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks, thanks and thanks Nov 23, 2005

Dear all, you were a lot to try to help me, either asking for the file, or with pieces of advice.

A couple of hours after posting this I had to go to the university and I sent the files to three members.
The results were different. Sonja told me that three converters made three different PDFs!

Jerzy could (I don't know how) make a nice PDF and when I sent it I crossed my fingers hoping that the PDF wouldn't change its appearance during the journey...
See more
Dear all, you were a lot to try to help me, either asking for the file, or with pieces of advice.

A couple of hours after posting this I had to go to the university and I sent the files to three members.
The results were different. Sonja told me that three converters made three different PDFs!

Jerzy could (I don't know how) make a nice PDF and when I sent it I crossed my fingers hoping that the PDF wouldn't change its appearance during the journey

I had a complaint about the Word document: "Claudia, you changed something, it doesn't look like before". Of course I changed something, I didn't stop changing lots of things, testing different solutions.

I could send all this very late at night (before yesterday) and yesterday I got an e-mail from the same client with an attached document. I thought that I would have a heart attack but no, it was a version in another language and he wanted just to ask me to convert it into PDF: and then again, the first page was split in 3 pages, logo + 2 columns. I sent him that and said to stop trying to make things better, that the problem was due to the source document.
If I add all the time those who helped me and I spent on the format problem I think that it took 2 times the time spent on translation (and it was a translation of more than 3,000 words). Horrible!

Thank you very much, PCvocs, Javier, Nicolette, Han Li, Marie-Helene, Fernando, Jerzy, Sonja and Natalie, I hope I'm not forgetting anybody, forgive me if it's the case.

Claudia
Collapse

Jerzy Czopik
Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
HTML and Word Nov 23, 2005

The document is - as far I can see - a copy of a html formatted newsletter. The problem is caused by a table, inserted on the first page. Unlike Word tables, this one is splitted vertically into two tables, and both are too long for the first page.
What I did was:

• Adaptin the page format to DIN A4 and setting a little bit smaller boarders. On top I defined a different first page.
  • Placing the logo into t... See more
The document is - as far I can see - a copy of a html formatted newsletter. The problem is caused by a table, inserted on the first page. Unlike Word tables, this one is splitted vertically into two tables, and both are too long for the first page.
What I did was:

• Adaptin the page format to DIN A4 and setting a little bit smaller boarders. On top I defined a different first page.
  • Placing the logo into the header of the first page.
  • Copying the left and right pieces of table to two new separate documents.
  • Inserting section breaks into the source document just before and after the table, which made trouble.
  • Removing the troublemaker, setting this section to have TWO columns. Setting their width approximately so, as the table previously was.
  • Pasting the left piece of the previous table into the new generated section. Splitting it on column break, inserting a page break before the part, which was to much for the first page.
  • Pasting the second (right) piece of the troublemaker table into the right column, just before the page break. Splitting it, where it was to long for the page.
  • Moving the part of the right side of the troublemaker table, which was now on the second page to the right column beside the second part of the left side of the troublemaker table.

So the text looks now like it looked before, only the table background is lost - and I don´t know how it was set up.
But this shwos us, that Word cannot be used to edit html - it would haven been beeter you would be provided the original html source and tranlated it with TAG Editor and Trados for example.

Regards
Jerzy
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Laureana Pavon[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Formatting problem: different people see different things

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »