Claudia Alvis
Claudia Alvis  Identity Verified
Peru
Local time: 03:17
Spanish
+ ...
Nov 21, 2005

Hello,

I installed Mozilla's Thunderbird (v1.0.7) and it's working great except for the fact that I don't know when I get new messages in my different folders and sub-folders.

I have an IMAP account and use my email server rules settings to automatically sort my new messages. In Outlook Express when I get a new message in a folder or sub-folder, the name is highlighted and the number of new messages are shown. But with Thunderbird, I have to click on each folder to se
... See more
Hello,

I installed Mozilla's Thunderbird (v1.0.7) and it's working great except for the fact that I don't know when I get new messages in my different folders and sub-folders.

I have an IMAP account and use my email server rules settings to automatically sort my new messages. In Outlook Express when I get a new message in a folder or sub-folder, the name is highlighted and the number of new messages are shown. But with Thunderbird, I have to click on each folder to see if I've gotten a new email, only then I can see the name of the folder highlighted and the # of new messages. The only folders do this automatically are Inbox and the Spam folder.

I have 'Server contains folders/sub-folders' checked and 'Show only subscribed folders' unchecked but still no luck.

I posted this problem in the Thunderbird forum but I haven't gotten any replies. This feature is really important to me and I really like Thunderbird better than OE but if I don't solve this issue I'm gonna have to switch back to OE, and I don't wanna!! Does anybody know what can I do?

Thanks,

Claudia
Collapse

Michaela Müller
Michaela Müller
Germany
Local time: 10:17
English to German
+ ...
Folder Nov 21, 2005

Hello Claudia,

did you check the folder properties?
I also work with Thunderbird, and I e.g. filter all messages from ProZ.com into certain folders of an account. It works at my side, and I always receive this small letter symbol on the screen when new messages arrive, and all folders/subfolders that contain new messages are bold.
You can right click the according folder, go to "Properties", "General information" where you can check the box "Check for new messages".
... See more
Hello Claudia,

did you check the folder properties?
I also work with Thunderbird, and I e.g. filter all messages from ProZ.com into certain folders of an account. It works at my side, and I always receive this small letter symbol on the screen when new messages arrive, and all folders/subfolders that contain new messages are bold.
You can right click the according folder, go to "Properties", "General information" where you can check the box "Check for new messages".
But I actually don't think I did this. (I've been using Thunderbird for years now, so I actually cannot remember how I did this)
By the way: did you actually subscribe to the different folders? (right click - Subscribe)

Michaela
Collapse

Peter Bouillon
Peter Bouillon  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 10:17
French to German
+ ...
"Check this folder for new messages"? Nov 21, 2005

Caliaa wrote:
But with Thunderbird, I have to click on each folder to see if I've gotten a new email, only then I can see the name of the folder highlighted and the # of new messages.

If you right-click on a folder in the left-hand pane, there is a "Properties..." entry in the popup menu. Select that. Did you check "Check this folder for new messages" in the "General information" tab?

P.

[Edited at 2005-11-21 09:35]

Claudia Alvis
Claudia Alvis  Identity Verified
Peru
Local time: 03:17
Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Nov 21, 2005

Thank you both Michaela and Peter!!!! Problem solved.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Laureana Pavon[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Thunderbird - IMAP account, new messages in folders are not showing

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »