Carrige returns in round-tripped FrameMaker XML
Thread poster: tlmurray (X)
tlmurray (X)
tlmurray (X)
Local time: 23:37
English
Nov 18, 2005

My customer has a very nice workflow that involves author in FrameMaker > export to XML > send to translator > get it back and reimport into Frame. Actually it works very well.

The issue has to do with two or more carriage returns in a row. If this happens, when we get it back, all multiple returns end up as one return. The translator swears they can't to a thing about it. True, good DTP usually doesn't use multiple returns, but there are a couple of special cases where it's needed.
... See more
My customer has a very nice workflow that involves author in FrameMaker > export to XML > send to translator > get it back and reimport into Frame. Actually it works very well.

The issue has to do with two or more carriage returns in a row. If this happens, when we get it back, all multiple returns end up as one return. The translator swears they can't to a thing about it. True, good DTP usually doesn't use multiple returns, but there are a couple of special cases where it's needed.

The obvious question is, What tools do they use? That I don't know, but I can rummage around and find out, I thing.

But in any case, has anyone else experienced this? Is this simply a lazy translator, or is it real?
Collapse

Jaroslaw Michalak
Jaroslaw Michalak  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 05:37
Member (2004)
English to Polish
SITE LOCALIZER
Where are they lost? Nov 18, 2005

Could you specify at exactly what point the returns are lost?

As long as it happens in non-proprietary or easy to edit format, it should be possible to replace the series of hard returns with a selected sequence. Then, when the critical phase is over, you can restore the hard returns from the sequence.

tectranslate ITS GmbH
tectranslate ITS GmbH
Local time: 05:37
German
+ ...
Tag formats Nov 18, 2005

Tag formats such as XML do not rely on returns at all when it comes to paragraph spacing. That's why some tagged file parsers filter away excess returns, tabs, blanks and so on.

I don't completely understand the workflow you're describing, but it seems plausible that "superfluous" returns could be automatically stripped by one of the processes or programs in your workflow.

From the top of my head, I see the following possibilities for remedying this problem:
1)
... See more
Tag formats such as XML do not rely on returns at all when it comes to paragraph spacing. That's why some tagged file parsers filter away excess returns, tabs, blanks and so on.

I don't completely understand the workflow you're describing, but it seems plausible that "superfluous" returns could be automatically stripped by one of the processes or programs in your workflow.

From the top of my head, I see the following possibilities for remedying this problem:
1) Get your paragraph styles cleaned up and get used to structured formatting where you don't need multiple returns. This is clearly my recommenddation.
2) Use CDATA sections in XML. Anything you write in those will be interpreted literally, i.e. without filtering of superfluous characters.
3) Introduce custom entities like "&hardret;" (hope the ProZ.com forum doesn't eat this one up) in your XML declaration and use Find & Replace later on your files to convert them to hard returns again.

HTH,
Benjamin
Collapse

tlmurray (X)
tlmurray (X)
Local time: 23:37
English
TOPIC STARTER
Will try these solutions Nov 18, 2005

tectranslate wrote:
1) Get your paragraph styles cleaned up and get used to structured formatting where you don't need multiple returns. This is clearly my recommenddation.

It would take some explaining to do, but there is a certain situation where multiple returns are required. The "workaround" is a royal pain.
2) Use CDATA sections in XML. Anything you write in those will be interpreted literally, i.e. without filtering of superfluous characters.

3) Introduce custom entities like "&hardret;" (hope the ProZ.com forum doesn't eat this one up) in your XML declaration and use Find & Replace later on your files to convert them to hard returns again.

HTH,
Benjamin

I will look into these. Thanks.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Laureana Pavon[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Carrige returns in round-tripped FrameMaker XML

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »