problem receiving (some) e-mails (solved, I hope)
Thread poster: Rebekka Groß (X)
Rebekka Groß (X)
Rebekka Groß (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 23:02
English to German
Nov 15, 2005

Hi,

I wonder if anyone has ever had a similar problem as the one I've been experiencing since yesterday.

Yesterday, my ISP reported a network fault which prevented some customers from accessing the internet. Internet access was not an issue for me but I couldn't receive any e-mails, though I could send messages, which were received by the recipients. A few hours later, the problem was resolved and e-mails started trickling in.

I noticed, however, that I was
... See more
Hi,

I wonder if anyone has ever had a similar problem as the one I've been experiencing since yesterday.

Yesterday, my ISP reported a network fault which prevented some customers from accessing the internet. Internet access was not an issue for me but I couldn't receive any e-mails, though I could send messages, which were received by the recipients. A few hours later, the problem was resolved and e-mails started trickling in.

I noticed, however, that I was receiving e-mails from proz.com according to my e-mail preferences only (without any delays) but nothing else to my regular address. I'd asked several people to cc my hotmail address as well so I knew that e-mails had been sent to my regular address. And none of the test e-mails I sent to myself have since been received either, again I cc'd my hotmail address, which like my regular e-mail I check via Outlook 2002. I've checked my Outlook settings, they correspond to the screenshots in my ISP's help pages. I've also tried the Outlook Web Access web mail my provider offers - no joy there either.

I've contacted my ISP via their web site because if I phone the tech support helpline, they'll make me jump through all sorts of unnecessary hoops that often cause more problems rather than solve them.

Does anyone have any ideas what's going on here?

Thanks for any suggestions.

Rebekka

[Edited at 2005-11-15 10:48]

[Edited at 2005-11-15 13:58]
Collapse

#41698 (LSF)
#41698 (LSF)
Malaysia
Local time: 06:02
Japanese to English
+ ...
Generally Nov 15, 2005

Incoming and outgoing mail is normally handled by 2 separate servers called POP3 and SMTP respectively. In the event of congestion or server crash, it is possible that the service provider just accumulates the incoming mail in queue while sending out the outgoing mail. (If due to server crash, some incoming mail may be lost forever) When the queued incoming mail is finally distributed out to the subscribers, the sequence may not be first-in-first-out but depends on which blocks are being recover... See more
Incoming and outgoing mail is normally handled by 2 separate servers called POP3 and SMTP respectively. In the event of congestion or server crash, it is possible that the service provider just accumulates the incoming mail in queue while sending out the outgoing mail. (If due to server crash, some incoming mail may be lost forever) When the queued incoming mail is finally distributed out to the subscribers, the sequence may not be first-in-first-out but depends on which blocks are being recovered by the operators first.

[Edited at 2005-11-15 14:53]

[Edited at 2005-11-15 14:56]
Collapse

Aisling O'Callaghan
Aisling O'Callaghan
English to Irish
+ ...
I find it very useful.... Nov 16, 2005

Speaking from experience, I always get any mail from my private work account forwarded to a free mail account, in my case Yahoo mail account. Then if I have any problems all mail is automatically forwarded to my second account, avoiding the hassle of having to ask clients to cc this account...

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Laureana Pavon[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

problem receiving (some) e-mails (solved, I hope)

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »