Monitor has been affected by magnet
Thread poster: Sanjiv Sadan (X)
Sanjiv Sadan (X)
Sanjiv Sadan (X)
Local time: 08:14
English to Hindi
+ ...
Oct 17, 2005

My naughty daughter has touched a powerful magnet on the moninor of my computer and as a result there is a shadow on the screeen which does not vanish even if I restart the computer. In addition to it, it has also affected the colours, which have faded a bit.

Can I fix these problems? Thanks for your advice in advance.

Piotr Sawiec
Piotr Sawiec  Identity Verified
Local time: 04:44
English to Polish
+ ...
Degauss Oct 17, 2005

Hi, have you tried degaussing? It is either accessible through buttons somewhere on the monitor or via OSD (on-screen display)

Piotr

Hynek Palatin
Hynek Palatin  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
Member (2003)
English to Czech
+ ...
Degauss Oct 17, 2005

You need to degauss the monitor. Restarting your computer won't help.

More info:
http://www.webopedia.com/TERM/d/degauss.html

Lars Jelking
Lars Jelking  Identity Verified
Israel
Local time: 05:44
English to Swedish
+ ...
Degauss. Oct 17, 2005

Talk to your local TV-technician. He most certainly has a loose coil and can de-magnetize your screen.

Evi Wollinger
Evi Wollinger  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
English to German
+ ...
don't panic Oct 18, 2005

my son did the same thing. I tried everything to get rid of the shadow. It disappeared on it's own after being shut off for the night. Good Luck!

Sanjiv Sadan (X)
Sanjiv Sadan (X)
Local time: 08:14
English to Hindi
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you - Degaussing has solved the problem Oct 18, 2005

I am sincerely thankful to you for your help and guidance in this respect. I was not aware that there is a degauss button on monitor. I tried the same and the problem stands solved.

Proz.com is really a wonderful world!

achisholm
achisholm
United Kingdom
Local time: 03:44
Italian to English
+ ...
My son did the same thing to my PC ... Oct 18, 2005

.. long ago in the days before LCD screens. He also did the same to the TV!

They both cleared up by themselves after a few days.

As an aside, the boxes of the popular toys "Supermag" and "Geomag" should both carry warnings to parents in relation to this!!

[Edited at 2005-10-18 14:38]

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
We had a television set like that Oct 18, 2005

Sanjiv Sadana wrote:
My naughty daughter has touched a powerful magnet on the moninor of my computer and as a result there is a shadow on the screeen which does not vanish even if I restart the computer. In addition to it, it has also affected the colours, which have faded a bit.

We had a magnet lying next to the television set for a few weeks, and it made the colours go awry on the one side of the screen. After many months the colour started to return.

Modern monitors have all sorts of colour settings, however, and I hope you find a way to "fix" it by adjusting the settings. I'm surprised that the monitor went bad after a mere touch from the magnet.

Want to erase a video tape or a floppy disk? Just leave it on top of the television for a few days.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Laureana Pavon[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Monitor has been affected by magnet

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »