https://www.proz.com/forum/general_technical_issues/335933-how_do_you_translate_an_xml_format_document.html

How do you translate an XML format document?
Thread poster: Sarah Amsellem
Sarah Amsellem
Sarah Amsellem  Identity Verified
Local time: 09:23
Hebrew to French
+ ...
Jul 10, 2019

Hi all,

I received a translation offer in XML format and I don't know how to translate it. Can you help me? Is it difficult?

Many thanks in advance for your help.

Sergei Leshchinsky
Sergei Leshchinsky  Identity Verified
Ukraine
Local time: 10:23
Member (2008)
English to Russian
+ ...
CAT-tool Jul 10, 2019

will do the trick

Kevin Fulton

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
@Sarah Jul 10, 2019

Sarah Amsellem wrote:
I received a translation offer in XML format and I don't know how to translate it.

Although you can theoretically translate an XML file in a plain text editor if you are quite familiar with the XML format in general, it is best to translate it in either an XML editor or a CAT tool.

Regardless of whether you use an XML editor or a CAT tool, you have to find out from the client:
(a) which elements of the XML file he wants you to translate, and
(b) if he wants you to
- overwrite the source text with the translation or
- write the translation in a different location within the same file.

If it is a commonly used XML format, it may be that the CAT tool will automatically extract the appropriate content without you having to change any settings, but it really depends on the situation, and in many cases you would need to learn how to edit the CAT tool's XML filter to be able to translate the XML file appropriately. And not all CAT tools that claim XML support can do proper XML translation (and by that I mean that the translation can control which elements must be translated and where the translation should be written). But if the client has experience with translating the type of file, he may know which CAT tool or XML editor you should use, without any knowledge of XML yourself.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

[Edited at 2019-07-10 13:02 GMT]

Sarah Amsellem
Sarah Amsellem  Identity Verified
Hebrew to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
@Samuel and Sergei Jul 10, 2019

Thank you very much for your help.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Laureana Pavon[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How do you translate an XML format document?

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »