Preview pane glitch: photo displays upside down
Thread poster: cranium
cranium
cranium
French to English
+ ...
Dec 6, 2017

Recently sent out about ten résumés and was horrified to see my photo displays as upside down in the preview pane! When the Word document is opened, the photo is right-side up, of course. In the meantime anyone who doesn't open the attachment (and who would?!) will have a very bad first impression. Does anyone have any inkling of how this happened and can be prevented? Simply considering removing the photo altogether, although i... See more
Recently sent out about ten résumés and was horrified to see my photo displays as upside down in the preview pane! When the Word document is opened, the photo is right-side up, of course. In the meantime anyone who doesn't open the attachment (and who would?!) will have a very bad first impression. Does anyone have any inkling of how this happened and can be prevented? Simply considering removing the photo altogether, although in France it's still considered good form on a résumé.Collapse

Sheila Wilson
Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 18:45
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
Simple solution Dec 6, 2017

cranium wrote:
Does anyone have any inkling of how this happened and can be prevented?

The simplest solution is one that I would advise everyone, everywhere to adopt anyway: save your Word document as a PDF prior to sending it. There are two reasons for this.

One is that Word documents always risk being displayed and printed differently on other people's computers. A neatly-formatted one-page CV may well run onto a second page with just a couple of lines showing. That telephone symbol that looks so neat on your copy may come out as a question-mark or anything else on your reader's copy. Many, many differences are possible.

The other is for security of your data. Any recipient can "mess around" with a Word file. Your name can be overwritten with theirs; so can the email address... and - hey presto - your identity has been stolen. This could result in scams at your expense that ruin your reputation, or simply mean an agency will use your CV to apply for tenders without then giving you the work.

For all sorts of reasons, it's best to send a PDF, and preferably a scanned PDF or one with some other form of security that stops it being transformed back into an easily editable format (or at least makes it a harder and longer job).

But, to answer your question, I have no idea what Word is up to. It sounds weird, but then Word is weird at times, IMO .

cranium
cranium
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
That sounds like the simplest thing Dec 6, 2017

Thanks, Sheila. Can always count on you for good advice. I was at the "kicking myself" stage yesterday, and at the "self-deprecation" stage today laughing at the water cooler jokes I can imagine that message inspired. Humour helps in these situations.

Luca Tutino
Luca Tutino  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2002)
English to Italian
+ ...
Preview pane in what environment? Dec 6, 2017

I agree with the PDF solution, but I am curious to know where exactly are the photo previews displayed upside down. Can you please share any details on this?

cranium
cranium
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Photo inserted in a header Dec 6, 2017

The photo is inserted on the left side of a header. My contact details are right-justified within the same header. The photo displays upside down in the Gmail attachment thumbnail and previewer.

[Edited at 2017-12-06 13:56 GMT]

Jean Lachaud
Jean Lachaud  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 14:45
English to French
+ ...
check EXIF data? Dec 6, 2017

Did you check the EXIF alignment value?

Some (most) photo-editing apps (irfanview, which is free, does) will reset the EXIF alignment tag.

A quick Google search does return discussions about rotation issues when resizing JPG images, but I haven't gone further than that.

cranium
cranium
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Learn something new every day Dec 6, 2017

JL01 wrote:

Did you check the EXIF alignment value?

Never heard of it, thanks, will check it out

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Laureana Pavon[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Preview pane glitch: photo displays upside down

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »