Website word count in 2017
Thread poster: TLE2015 (X)
TLE2015 (X)
TLE2015 (X)  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 14:07
May 31, 2017

Hello - I need to do a quote for a client of their website, which is HUGE. They are, for some reason, unable to send us the files to do so. I had a look through various fora about any tools that would count the words on a website but all of the topics and threads seem to be quite dated, going back to 2003. Does anyone have a more recent recommendation, please?

Many thanks,
Gamila Shoib
Managing Director
The Language Editor Ltd.

Javier Goti

Michael Beijer
Michael Beijer  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 14:07
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
a few suggestions May 31, 2017

TLE2015 wrote:

Hello - I need to do a quote for a client of their website, which is HUGE. They are, for some reason, unable to send us the files to do so. I had a look through various fora about any tools that would count the words on a website but all of the topics and threads seem to be quite dated, going back to 2003. Does anyone have a more recent recommendation, please?

Many thanks,
Gamila Shoib
Managing Director
The Language Editor Ltd.

Apparently, the new version of AnyCount ("3D") can do this. I still own the previous version, so have not tested this yet myself.

"Capture and count web content

AnyCount 3D is now even better with the new "Add from web" function. Now you can count text directly from the website just by entering a link. You can also determine how many transitions from one page to another AnyCount should permit during a count by imposing a depth limitation." (http://www.wordcountsoftware.com/ )

Another method would be to use HTTrack (https://www.httrack.com/ ) to download all the relevant .html files from the website, and then count the words in these using a word count tool (e.g. the old version of AnyCount, or one of the free word count tools). Or, just merge all these separate .html files into a single .html file, and then count the words in that.

Michael

Axelle H.
Axelle H.  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 15:07
English to French
Thank you ! May 31, 2017

For this topic and your suggestions Michael !
I have just spent half a day to copy/past in word 15000 words ... (it was the first time I have to translate a website without any files, never again !)

[Edited at 2017-05-31 15:02 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Laureana Pavon[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Website word count in 2017

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »