Ines Burrell
Ines Burrell  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 19:37
Member (2004)
English to Latvian
+ ...
Aug 18, 2015

About three months ago I purchased a new laptop – Lenovo Y70. The machine is brilliant, quad core processor, large screen, backlit keyboard. Absolutely fantastic, and I can even finally play the Assassins’ Creed my kids gave me for last Christmas which the old laptop did not even want to open.

Problems started at the end of week two. At first I thought I was having several very bad typing days – I had to make incredible number of corrections in the text I had typed as many le
... See more
About three months ago I purchased a new laptop – Lenovo Y70. The machine is brilliant, quad core processor, large screen, backlit keyboard. Absolutely fantastic, and I can even finally play the Assassins’ Creed my kids gave me for last Christmas which the old laptop did not even want to open.

Problems started at the end of week two. At first I thought I was having several very bad typing days – I had to make incredible number of corrections in the text I had typed as many letters were missing. As this continued, I started to suspect it was not me, but rather my spanking new machine. I made my kids type the same passage on it and all of them had letters missing from the typed text, not the same ones though. Just as I decided to take the laptop back due to keyboard problems, the side panel started opening up so this ended up being the official return reason.

Laptop number two went back on the third week – the shift key kept sticking until it finally came off. And guess what – the keyboard worked like a charm for the first two weeks and then the same thing happened again. Letters missing in droves in the freshly typed text.

Laptop No 3 is not going back, my 28 days have expired. But at the end of week two… Well you can guess the rest.

Does anybody have any ideas as to what the hell is going on? My friendly computer mechanic mentioned something about Windows 8 fault with symptoms like this. Everybody hates Windows 8, but this seems a bit extreme even for this useless OS.

And what on earth am I supposed to do now? Just give up and buy external keyboard? Due to chronic backache I work in a semi-reclining position on bed or large chair (which is why a desktop computer is not an option), so I do not actually have anywhere to put another keyboard, I will have to balance it on top of my laptop somehow.

As always, any suggestions are appreciated!

Ines
Collapse

Rolf Keller
Rolf Keller
Germany
Local time: 20:37
English to German
Movable platform Aug 18, 2015

Burrell wrote:

(...) buy external keyboard? Due to chronic backache I work in a semi-reclining position on bed or large chair (which is why a desktop computer is not an option), so I do not actually have anywhere to put another keyboard, I will have to balance it on top of my laptop somehow.

Ask a handicrafter to fasten a wooden board in horizontal position to a standard swivelling monitor bracket (--> google for monitor + bracket). Let him fasten that bracket to an appropriate stand, wall etc. Place the laptop plus the keyboard onto that board.

Instead of a laptop you can use a desktop and place its monitor plus a wireless keyboard onto the board.

Paul Stevens
Paul Stevens  Identity Verified
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
+ ...
28 days? Aug 18, 2015

I'm not sure why you say "my 28 days have expired". Surely the laptop has a 12-month guarantee, doesn't it? Or am I missing something obvious?

Ines Burrell
United Kingdom
Member (2004)
English to Latvian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
28 days for returns, not repairs Aug 18, 2015

Paul Stevens wrote:

I'm not sure why you say "my 28 days have expired". Surely the laptop has a 12-month guarantee, doesn't it? Or am I missing something obvious?

It seems I did not provide sufficient information. I can return the laptop within 28 days. After that it has to be repaired. No problem there if it is a physical fault. But any computer technician will type a couple of words with two fingers, determine there is nothing wrong and send it back. You actually have to type fast to see the fault in action. And I type super fast, as most of the translators do. My laptop will spend more time in transit than in action when I start sending it back for repairs every week.

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Dictate Aug 18, 2015

Burrell wrote:

Paul Stevens wrote:

It seems I did not provide sufficient information. I can return the laptop within 28 days. After that it has to be repaired. No problem there if it is a physical fault. But any computer technician will type a couple of words with two fingers, determine there is nothing wrong and send it back. You actually have to type fast to see the fault in action. And I type super fast, as most of the translators do. My laptop will spend more time in transit than in action when I start sending it back for repairs every week.

You might want to consider using dictation software. That, of course, will not fix your "brilliant, quad core processor, large screen, backlit keyboard, absolutely fantastic," but unfortunately non-performing computer.

And I fear your "friendly computer technician" is completely wrong; that defect cannot possibly have anything to do with the operating system. Perhaps you need a new computer technician.

It sounds to me like defective design/build/quality control of the computer itself- including the TWO replacements you have been given.

I started using dictation software about a year ago and it has changed my life (I tend to suffer from RSI when using a keyboard + mouse) and I make far fewer typing errors.

[Edited at 2015-08-18 14:10 GMT]

Rodrigo Castillo H.
Rodrigo Castillo H.
Chile
Local time: 16:37
English to Spanish
Might be a driver issue Aug 18, 2015

I don't think it's an issue with the OS. I've used Windows 8 (8.1) for more than two years without any keyboard-related issues.
I suggest you update all the drivers, particularly the chipset driver, for your laptop.
Good luck.

Michael Beijer
Michael Beijer  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
maybe try running a live Linux distro from a CD-ROM to check whether typing is broken Aug 18, 2015

Tom in London wrote:

Burrell wrote:

Paul Stevens wrote:

You might want to consider using dictation software. That, of course, will not fix your "brilliant, quad core processor, large screen, backlit keyboard, absolutely fantastic," but unfortunately non-performing computer.

And I fear your "friendly computer technician" is completely wrong; that defect cannot possibly have anything to do with the operating system. Perhaps you need a new computer technician.

It sounds to me like defective design/build/quality control of the computer itself- including the TWO replacements you have been given.

I started using dictation software about a year ago and it has changed my life (I tend to suffer from RSI when using a keyboard + mouse) and I make far fewer typing errors.

[Edited at 2015-08-18 13:49 GMT]

Since it happened on two computers, this might actually indicate that it is a software problem. I suggest Burrell tries running a live Linux distro from a CD-ROM, to check whether typing is broken then too.

I fully agree though about dictation: it's definitely the way to go!

Michael

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Way to go Aug 18, 2015

Michael Beijer wrote:

....I fully agree though about dictation: it's definitely the way to go!

Michael

Yes - even when translating short bursts of text, e.g. fields in an Excel or PowerPoint document.

For most purposes now, I only use the keyboard/mouse to correct the inevitable mistakes the dictation software always makes (I hate the way it types "hi" when I say "high"....).

Even on a perfectly-functioning keyboard I make lots of typos. Dictation is actually *fun* !!

[Edited at 2015-08-18 14:15 GMT]

Ines Burrell
United Kingdom
Member (2004)
English to Latvian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Would that I could Aug 18, 2015

Tom in London wrote:

Burrell wrote:

Paul Stevens wrote:

[Edited at 2015-08-18 14:10 GMT]

As far as I know, there is no support for Latvian. No market, only 2 million speakers.

Ines Burrell
United Kingdom
Member (2004)
English to Latvian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
That's an idea Aug 18, 2015

Rolf Keller wrote:

Burrell wrote:

(...) buy external keyboard? Due to chronic backache I work in a semi-reclining position on bed or large chair (which is why a desktop computer is not an option), so I do not actually have anywhere to put another keyboard, I will have to balance it on top of my laptop somehow.

Ask a handicrafter to fasten a wooden board in horizontal position to a standard swivelling monitor bracket (--> google for monitor + bracket). Let him fasten that bracket to an appropriate stand, wall etc. Place the laptop plus the keyboard onto that board.

Instead of a laptop you can use a desktop and place its monitor plus a wireless keyboard onto the board.

If all else fails, that's something I can thing about.

Ines Burrell
United Kingdom
Member (2004)
English to Latvian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
How do I do it? Aug 18, 2015

Michael Beijer wrote:

Since it happened on two computers, this might actually indicate that it is a software problem. I suggest Burrell tries running a live Linux distro from a CD-ROM, to check whether typing is broken then too.

Michael

I am not exactly a computer whiz, so I would appreciate advise on how it is actually done. Also, bear in mind this modern piece of equipment does not have a CD drive, they are apparently antiquated.

Christel Zipfel
Christel Zipfel  Identity Verified
Local time: 20:37
Member (2004)
Italian to German
+ ...
So, here you are again, Ines! Aug 18, 2015

I often remember your thread about your cursor jumping around... I fortunately had solved the very same problem then by reinstalling the keyboard driver, thanks to your forum, and this laptop after that was my favourite one ever for the years I still could use it (unfortunately the drivers for Windows 8 don't exist for this model that came with XP), and I still regret it.

So in the meantime I have got a new laptop (a Sony Vaio) and believe it or not, I have keyboard problems with th
... See more
I often remember your thread about your cursor jumping around... I fortunately had solved the very same problem then by reinstalling the keyboard driver, thanks to your forum, and this laptop after that was my favourite one ever for the years I still could use it (unfortunately the drivers for Windows 8 don't exist for this model that came with XP), and I still regret it.

So in the meantime I have got a new laptop (a Sony Vaio) and believe it or not, I have keyboard problems with this one, too! They are not as heavy as the last ones, but the cursor still jumps around from time to time and this drives me crazy! Of course the first thing that I checked was the driver... but everything looks ok. Or it cancels a word after one only click and I never discovered why (maybe that dipends on the OS - Windows 8, now 8.1, who knows) and other strange behaviours like that.

I don't look for a solution here, I have nearly resigned and I'll keep it like it is. It is three years old now and I won't regret it when it's time to replace it which I will do sooner than necessary.

But now that I read your post I start to think it could be a keyboard persecution in our case, who knows (just kidding!)

Hope you find soon a solution to your problem!
Collapse

Ines Burrell
United Kingdom
Member (2004)
English to Latvian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Right you are! Aug 18, 2015

Christel Zipfel wrote:

So in the meantime I have got a new laptop (a Sony Vaio) and believe it or not, I have keyboard problems with this one, too! They are not as heavy as the last ones, but the cursor still jumps around from time to time and this drives me crazy! Of course the first thing that I checked was the driver... but everything looks ok. Or it cancels a word after one only click and I never discovered why (maybe that dipends on the OS - Windows 8, now 8.1, who knows) and other strange behaviours like that.

I don't look for a solution here, I have nearly resigned and I'll keep it like it is. It is three years old now and I won't regret it when it's time to replace it which I will do sooner than necessary.

But now that I read your post I start to think it could be a keyboard persecution in our case, who knows (just kidding!)

Hope you find soon a solution to your problem!

I know Christel, I was thinking about the same thing and remembering that thread. I must have been a very bad girl in the previous life.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Laureana Pavon[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

The keyboard woes… again!

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »