https://www.proz.com/forum/general_technical_issues/283649-how_do_you_arrange_your_translation_files_folders-page3.html

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3]
How do you arrange your translation files/folders?
Thread poster: Dylan J Hartmann
Oliver Walter
Oliver Walter  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 08:17
German to English
+ ...
Common error Mar 26, 2015

Tom in London wrote:
Paulinho Fonseca wrote:
I get small jobs everyday

Perhaps you meant "I get small everyday jobs". "I get small jobs everyday" doesn't mean anything in English. "Everyday" is an adjective.

It's a regrettably common error - I wonder whether it will eventually become so common that it will be considered to be correct. For the time being (and probably for the rest of my life), I consider the following examples to be correct (with "everyday" not a valid substitute for "every day"):
  • The post is delivered every day.
  • Everyday activities include making breakfast and checking email.
  • I see or hear grammatically incorrect English every day.
  • For a translator, noticing grammatical or typing errors in written material, without explicitly looking for them, is probably an everyday occurrence.
(I suppose this really belongs in a different forum, but it arose in this one.)

Gabriele Demuth
Gabriele Demuth  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English to German
List on paper Mar 26, 2015

I do have a spreadsheet for all jobs, client, nature of text, word count, rate ... and one for paid invoices or money that had come into the account, however, I do keep printed invoices and a list of them at the front of the file - I just prefer to have something on paper and I can easily see what has been paid and what is still outstanding. I might consider though just keeping a list for each client as well rather than printing the actual invoice.

On my spreadsheet I think I might
... See more
I do have a spreadsheet for all jobs, client, nature of text, word count, rate ... and one for paid invoices or money that had come into the account, however, I do keep printed invoices and a list of them at the front of the file - I just prefer to have something on paper and I can easily see what has been paid and what is still outstanding. I might consider though just keeping a list for each client as well rather than printing the actual invoice.

On my spreadsheet I think I might add an extra column for fees (bank, PayPal) paid as I think that it can be deducted from tax - does anyone know?
Collapse

John Di Rico
John Di Rico  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 09:17
Member (2006)
French to English
Article on file naming Mar 26, 2015

FWIW, this might be an interesting read. As you can see, translators aren't the only ones struggling with this problem.

http://apps.americanbar.org/lpm/lpt/articles/ftr09091.shtml

Best,

John

Alex Lago
Alex Lago  Identity Verified
Spain
English to Spanish
+ ...
Your own NAS server Mar 28, 2015

DJHartmann wrote:
But if you don't use the cloud, what happens if your computer crashes while you're working on a large project? What if the computer hard drive fails? If you use Windows, what if you get a virus?!

I use my own NAS server which is set up with two disks on RAID 1 and works on continuous backup, so literally whatever is in my computer also gets stored in the NAS server and as it it RAID 1 I actually have the data in three different disks.

As for my file system I don't think it's really important, as mentioned by someone else the important thing is the file search program you use, for that I use Copernic Desktop Search as it can search the actual content of the files . Someone mentioned dead PDFs, I don't have that problem, if I accept a job with a dead PDF (which I very rarely do) I will first of all use an OCR program (Abbyy FineReader) to convert it into a workable format (this can take a while which is why I rarely accept dead PDF jobs) as I prefer doing my translations on a CAT tool.

[Edited at 2015-03-28 18:54 GMT]

Meta Arkadia
Meta Arkadia
Local time: 14:17
English to Indonesian
+ ...
File Info Mar 29, 2015

Alex Lago wrote:
Someone mentioned dead PDFs

The OP did. And since he uses OS X, he can add keywords or other relevant information to the Comments in the file Info of those dead PDFs. I add information to rarely used apps, like:

Those Comments are searchable by Spotlight.

Cheers,

Hans

[Edited at 2015-03-30 02:08 GMT]

Agnes Lenkey
Agnes Lenkey  Identity Verified
German to Spanish
+ ...
Folders, subfolders and more subfolders for each year Mar 29, 2015

Quite interesting, everything you say.

Pretty much like Tom, I do not store anything in the cloud, I rather make a daily backup and additionally copy the data to an external hard drive. I classify the executed translations in folders and subfolders, like this:

> Carried out translations
>>>>> Translations
>>>>>>>>>> 2011 ...
>>>>>>>>>> 2015
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Company name (be it agency or direct client)
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Company name (be it
... See more
Quite interesting, everything you say.

Pretty much like Tom, I do not store anything in the cloud, I rather make a daily backup and additionally copy the data to an external hard drive. I classify the executed translations in folders and subfolders, like this:

> Carried out translations
>>>>> Translations
>>>>>>>>>> 2011 ...
>>>>>>>>>> 2015
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Web page
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Catalogues
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Additional material (for example)
>>>>>Fiscal issues

Fiscal information goes into a separate folder named Fiscal issues. There I have subfolders sorted by year, containing different information for my accountant and personal Excel-sheets to keep easy track of my invoices. It is easy once the system is set up, I think.

Thank you all for naming useful file search programmes, definitely I will have to check them out, together with the continuous backup system used by Alex. I do not understand how this works exactly, but I will ask the computer expert, as I always do in such cases. Thank you.

I must admit that I have a very meticulously organised folder system in my Outlook, where I store all important e-mail correspondence (without the annexed files, it is important to save them separately because of their size). Outlook serves me most in order to localize clients, projects, dates and all kind of exact information.

Keep on correcting us Tom (and everybody), I enjoy it so much! As Oliver said: “For a translator, noticing grammatical or typing errors in written material, without explicitly looking for them, is probably an everyday occurrence.”

This is part of what we are…

Best regards,

Agnes

[Edited at 2015-03-29 09:38 GMT]

[Edited at 2015-03-29 09:40 GMT]
Collapse

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Finding stuff Mar 29, 2015

Agnes Lenkey wrote:

Thank you all for naming useful file search programmes

One of the many things that comes as a tightly integrated part of the MacOS is Spotlight, which continuously memorises all your files and *all the contents thereof* (every word!). To find anything you simply hit a keyboard combination or, alternatively, click on a "Sherlock Holmes" magnifying glass icon in the menubar, and begin typing in a word. Spotlight will *immediately" start finding things for you, organised in various categories such as emails, music, documents, etc. Usually the first thing it finds is the one you're looking for.

For really untidy/chaotic people who just dump all their stuff anywhere on their hard drive, it's particularly useful. It's very fast because rather than search the HD itself, it has its own constantly updated database, and that's where it searches. You can set it to only search for particular types of file, or only in particular places

https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT204014

If you really want to search **directly** on your HD, including in system files and invisible files, there are free applications such as EasyFind.

[Edited at 2015-03-29 15:13 GMT]

Michael Beijer
Michael Beijer  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
ABBYY FineReader + CAT tool Mar 29, 2015

DJHartmann wrote:

Sheila Wilson wrote:
I rarely if ever refer to past source and/or target files nowadays. In the quoted situation, a few clicks and maybe a bit of editing will see the whole thing translated.

Sadly, in my language pair most of the source material is dead pdfs.

I wish I could use my CAT tool for every job!!

What's a "dead PDF"? I asume you mean a PDF where you can't get at the text. If so, I'd recommend investing in ABBYY FineReader, which will convert 90% of them perfectly. I never, ever work from an uneditable format. I always convert such files using a converter, and then import the result into my CAT tool. This also solves the potential problem of needing to locate past translations.

If it's not in my CAT tool's TMs, I can locate it in my client folder structure, or via dtSearch.

Michael

Dylan J Hartmann
Dylan J Hartmann  Identity Verified
Australia
Member (2014)
Thai to English
+ ...

TOPIC STARTER
Scans Mar 29, 2015

Michael Beijer wrote:

What's a "dead PDF"? I asume you mean a PDF where you can't get at the text.

Michael

Most of the dead PDFs I receive are scanned documents, like this (personal info removed):

Michael Beijer
Michael Beijer  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
ABBYY supports Thai Mar 29, 2015

DJHartmann wrote:

Michael Beijer wrote:

What's a "dead PDF"? I asume you mean a PDF where you can't get at the text.

Michael

Most of the dead PDFs I receive are scanned documents, like this (personal info removed):

Hmm, OK. I just checked and ABBYY supports Thai. You might want to give FineReader a try. It might actually surprise you.

Michael

Robert Rietvelt
Robert Rietvelt  Identity Verified
Member (2006)
Spanish to Dutch
+ ...
I love a positive attitude, but.... Mar 29, 2015

I sometimes receive 'dead PDF's' with handwritten corrections in it.

Good luck with Abbyy.

[Edited at 2015-03-29 21:31 GMT]

Dylan J Hartmann
Australia
Member (2014)
Thai to English
+ ...

TOPIC STARTER
Doesn't work so well. Mar 29, 2015

It was able to decipher about 20% of the document I showed, with the rest gibberish, symbols or numbers. Will keep trying with better quality documents though, it might save me quite a bit of time! Thanks for the recommendation, if it does work for those docs, will certainly purchase it.

[Edited at 2015-03-29 22:30 GMT]

Andrea Garfield-Barkworth
Andrea Garfield-Barkworth  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2015)
German to English
Very interesting suggestions Aug 17, 2015

Somehow missed this topic earlier.

I have a programme called "Fences" that I use on my desktop. It basically creates various customisable areas on my desktop such as "To Do", "Done", "Programmes", "Files", "Query" etc.

All new translations arrive in the "To Do" fence where I then create a folder consisting of the client's name and the project number he uses.

All data relating to the project is then entered into my tracking and invoicing system. This include
... See more
Somehow missed this topic earlier.

I have a programme called "Fences" that I use on my desktop. It basically creates various customisable areas on my desktop such as "To Do", "Done", "Programmes", "Files", "Query" etc.

All new translations arrive in the "To Do" fence where I then create a folder consisting of the client's name and the project number he uses.

All data relating to the project is then entered into my tracking and invoicing system. This includes the client's name, address, contact persons, e-mail, my order no (automatic but used for invoicing direct clients without their own order no), date submitted, delivery date and eventually invoice no.

Following translation I store the target translation in the folder with the client's name and after waiting a period in case of queries or proofreading jobs, this folder is then moved into another folder simply bearing the client's name.

So my final setup would be C:\Users\My name\Documents\Client's name\Client's File

This folder is then backed up via Dropbox, a separate hard drive attached to my PC and a NAS.

Once payment has gone through I can mark it as paid in my invoicing system.

I also use a complex spreadsheet from a German website where I can enter and track all my accounting details tracking all my incomings and outgoings including VAT, travel expenses, equipment to depreciate, etc. so that I can see at a glance what VAT I have to pay per quarter, what turnover and profit I have in any given year.

Copernic Desktop Search is brilliant for finding any old files, especially with the preview window so that you can immediately see the target term inside the file without having to open it. You can also get it to search a wide range of customisable files.

@DJHartmann I accidently bought two licences for Abbyy Finereader 12, PM me if you are interested in buying the second licence.
Collapse

Dylan J Hartmann
Australia
Member (2014)
Thai to English
+ ...

TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Aug 17, 2015

Thats a very interesting system! Thanks for sharing it.

Regarding the ADBBY reader, I went ahead and bought it

Best regards,

DJH

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Laureana Pavon[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How do you arrange your translation files/folders?

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »