https://www.proz.com/forum/general_technical_issues/276829-softel_swift_video_problem.html

Softel SWIFT video problem
Thread poster: JuliaGoellnitz
JuliaGoellnitz
JuliaGoellnitz
United Kingdom
Local time: 18:36
English to German
+ ...
Oct 27, 2014

I'm not sure where to post this and not too many people are familiar with subtitling software such as SWIFT, but there doesn't seem to be great support out there and I have encountered a problem that others might have, too.

I have been working on a project on Friday with a wmv video but when I open the document and video today in swift, the video won't play when I hit the "play" button. It is there alright and when I manually skip the timeline forward there are pictures, but it won'
... See more
I'm not sure where to post this and not too many people are familiar with subtitling software such as SWIFT, but there doesn't seem to be great support out there and I have encountered a problem that others might have, too.

I have been working on a project on Friday with a wmv video but when I open the document and video today in swift, the video won't play when I hit the "play" button. It is there alright and when I manually skip the timeline forward there are pictures, but it won't play.

I had a similar problem before after I updated video codexes and since then I haven't done any quicktime, wmv or any video codex updates, but as far as I can see in the windows update log, there hasn't even been a windows update between Friday and today.

I am totally clueless, I have checked three different wmv videos and they all behave the same.

Any help if greatly appreciated! Thanks!
Collapse

Max Deryagin
Max Deryagin  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 22:36
Member (2013)
English to Russian
I doubt anyone can help Oct 27, 2014

JuliaGoellnitz wrote:

I have been working on a project on Friday with a wmv video but when I open the document and video today in swift, the video won't play when I hit the "play" button. It is there alright and when I manually skip the timeline forward there are pictures, but it won't play.

I had a similar problem before after I updated video codexes and since then I haven't done any quicktime, wmv or any video codex updates, but as far as I can see in the windows update log, there hasn't even been a windows update between Friday and today.

I am totally clueless, I have checked three different wmv videos and they all behave the same.

Very few freelance subtitlers have SWIFT, as purchasing it makes little sense from the point of view of productivity, so I doubt anyone on ProZ can help you with this problem. In addition, the company called Softel does not exist anymore, as it was acquired by Miranda Technologies, which then merged with GrassValley (of Belden). That means you will probably not get any official support.

Also, what kind of project are you working on? If you need to create subtitles from the ground up, why freeze on wmv? You can just convert the video into any other format that plays as intended and work the way you're used to.

[Edited at 2014-10-27 12:41 GMT]

JuliaGoellnitz
JuliaGoellnitz
United Kingdom
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
converter Oct 27, 2014

Max Deryagin wrote:

JuliaGoellnitz wrote:

Very few freelance subtitlers have SWIFT, as purchasing it makes little sense from the point of view of productivity, so I doubt anyone on ProZ can help you with this problem. In addition, the company called Softel does not exist anymore, as it was acquired by Miranda Technologies, which then merged with GrassValley (of Belden). That means you will probably not get any official support.

Also, what kind of project are you working on? If you need to create subtitles from the ground up, why freeze on wmv? You can just convert the video into any other format that plays as intended and work the way you're used to.

[Edited at 2014-10-27 12:41 GMT]

Well, some clients send me stuff in mpg which works fine, others in wmv which does work usually. So they do the converting, not me. Do you know a good, maybe free, converter?

Thanks for your help!

Yes, Swift was expensive to begin with but not much more than other software, pretty much the same as wincaps. however, I am not convinced anymore swift is as good as others. I hear great things about EZTitles but having invested in SWIFT I am reluctant to spend another chunk on another software and having a hard time getting used to the UI and key commands...

Max Deryagin
Russian Federation
Member (2013)
English to Russian
Any converter will do Oct 27, 2014

JuliaGoellnitz wrote:
Well, some clients send me stuff in mpg which works fine, others in wmv which does work usually. So they do the converting, not me. Do you know a good, maybe free, converter?

Thanks for your help!

Yes, Swift was expensive to begin with but not much more than other software, pretty much the same as wincaps. however, I am not convinced anymore swift is as good as others. I hear great things about EZTitles but having invested in SWIFT I am reluctant to spend another chunk on another software and having a hard time getting used to the UI and key commands...

Julia, you can use any online or offline converter. Here's an example: http://www.online-convert.com

I personally use a program called XviD4PSP 5.0.

Now, from my own experience, I don't see any merit in using commercial subtitling software if you are a freelancer and don't work on-site. Decent agencies usually have a technician who have enterprise-level subtitling tools installed on their workstation and who can turn your timed SRT subs into whatever the end client requires. They expect freelancers to translate, timecode, and occasionally transcribe materials. The rest is taken care of, regardless of whether your subs are going on TV, Web, DVD/Blu-ray or anything else.

Because you are reluctant to spend more on another program, I recommend that you look into free and/or open-source tools. I prefer SW6 and Aegisub.

JuliaGoellnitz
JuliaGoellnitz
United Kingdom
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
problem solved Oct 28, 2014

It seems that our experiences are a little different regarding freelancers working with pro softwares. All of my clients expect their freelancers to work with softwares such as Wincaps, Swift or EZTitles. There might be a way around it sure but when I started out I had a deal with the client whereby I loaned Wincaps from them and after the project was finished, instead of buying the whole program I was able to "freeze" my wincaps account. They then got a new client and promoted SWIFT that way wh... See more
It seems that our experiences are a little different regarding freelancers working with pro softwares. All of my clients expect their freelancers to work with softwares such as Wincaps, Swift or EZTitles. There might be a way around it sure but when I started out I had a deal with the client whereby I loaned Wincaps from them and after the project was finished, instead of buying the whole program I was able to "freeze" my wincaps account. They then got a new client and promoted SWIFT that way whereby I pay them back for swift step by step - it was a more than fair offer and enabled me of getting into the profession "professionally". I think it makes life easier if you have the right tools and at uni we only worked with SWIFT, so why bother getting to know other, possibly less able software.

Anyhow, we're drifting!

I managed to solve the problem. It turned out it was an error on my part and I had tools -> internal time code CHECKED instead of unchecked...

Thanks everyone for their help!
Collapse

Max Deryagin
Russian Federation
Member (2013)
English to Russian
Great! Oct 29, 2014

JuliaGoellnitz wrote:

It seems that our experiences are a little different regarding freelancers working with pro softwares. All of my clients expect their freelancers to work with softwares such as Wincaps, Swift or EZTitles. There might be a way around it sure but when I started out I had a deal with the client whereby I loaned Wincaps from them and after the project was finished, instead of buying the whole program I was able to "freeze" my wincaps account. They then got a new client and promoted SWIFT that way whereby I pay them back for swift step by step - it was a more than fair offer and enabled me of getting into the profession "professionally". I think it makes life easier if you have the right tools and at uni we only worked with SWIFT, so why bother getting to know other, possibly less able software.

Anyhow, we're drifting!

I managed to solve the problem. It turned out it was an error on my part and I had tools -> internal time code CHECKED instead of unchecked...

I agree that professional software gives you an edge, but it is quite costly. By the by, does your SWIFT has the new Automated Timecoding feature? WinCAPS and CaptionMaker now offer a new tool which, using speech recognition, automatically creates timecodes for videos. I was wondering whether SWIFT has this tool, and if it does, how accurate it is.

I'm glad you've fixed the problem. Too bad we don't have separate forums for subtitling

JuliaGoellnitz
JuliaGoellnitz
United Kingdom
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
blank characters Oct 29, 2014

Max Deryagin wrote:

JuliaGoellnitz wrote:

Anyhow, we're drifting!

I agree that professional software gives you an edge, but it is quite costly. By the by, does your SWIFT has the new Automated Timecoding feature? WinCAPS and CaptionMaker now offer a new tool which, using speech recognition, automatically creates timecodes for videos. I was wondering whether SWIFT has this tool, and if it does, how accurate it is.

I'm glad you've fixed the problem. Too bad we don't have separate forums for subtitling

I've got an old version of Swift and I have to do everything manually. I am using speech recognition sometimes but you have to be so vigilant as to what it sometimes transcribes! So that function would be very useful. Do you happen to know if EZTitles has this function? Do you know how useful they are in Wincps? How does it do with shot changes then?

I've meanwhile run into a new problem: I am now working on a teletxt project which I deliver in EBU stl do all of my clients, but this client with EZTitles has now said that when they open the file, they get blank characters at the end of the row in a short subtitle, which they then have to remove manually.

We have found that this problem does not occur when I deliver as SRT but then the colour green is not a light neon green like I put it in but a dark green, whic again they will have to change.

I am seriously worried that I am going to loose this client in the long run, due to those problems. But I can't afford spending 1500 pounds/euros on new software just for that one client.

Max Deryagin
Russian Federation
Member (2013)
English to Russian
No, I don't think it does Oct 29, 2014

JuliaGoellnitz wrote:
I've got an old version of Swift and I have to do everything manually. I am using speech recognition sometimes but you have to be so vigilant as to what it sometimes transcribes! So that function would be very useful. Do you happen to know if EZTitles has this function? Do you know how useful they are in Wincps? How does it do with shot changes then?

I've meanwhile run into a new problem: I am now working on a teletxt project which I deliver in EBU stl do all of my clients, but this client with EZTitles has now said that when they open the file, they get blank characters at the end of the row in a short subtitle, which they then have to remove manually.

We have found that this problem does not occur when I deliver as SRT but then the colour green is not a light neon green like I put it in but a dark green, whic again they will have to change.

I am seriously worried that I am going to loose this client in the long run, due to those problems. But I can't afford spending 1500 pounds/euros on new software just for that one client.

From what I know, EZTitles does not have that feature.

Speaking of usefulness, it is quite useful if you work mostly with studio-recorded videos without much noise, but how it works around shot changes is something I don't know. Here's a demonstration video for CaptionMaker's ATS: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6MZZOXJtZs4

Regarding "1500 pounds/euros" — I don't know where you got this figure. All the professional software I know of is significantly more expensive. Sure, you can buy the basic versions of EZTitles, WinCaps, Spot and Caption Maker for ~$2,000, but they lack many useful features.

Also, please send me the SRT file. I'll see if the subs display as intended on my software.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Laureana Pavon[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Softel SWIFT video problem

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »