https://www.proz.com/forum/general_technical_issues/251866-how_can_i_insert_semi_space.html

how can I insert semi-space?
Thread poster: Mahdieh Kandoei
Mahdieh Kandoei
Mahdieh Kandoei  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 19:57
English to Persian (Farsi)
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Jun 28, 2013

Hi there,
How can I insert semi-space between Persian words?

[Edited at 2013-06-28 23:17 GMT]

Alireza Karbalaei
Alireza Karbalaei
Iran
Local time: 03:27
Iranian_Standard_Persian_Keyboard_(ISIRI_9147)_(Version_2.0) Jun 29, 2013

Hi there,

Very simple. Download and instal "Iranian_Standard_Persian_Keyboard_(ISIRI_9147)_(Version_2.0)" Thereafter, set it as your keyboard layout when typing, then you can type semi-space by pressing SHIFT+SPACE buttons.

Masoud Kakouli Varnousfaderani
Masoud Kakouli Varnousfaderani  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Local time: 02:57
+ ...
Ctrl + - Jun 29, 2013

You should press "Ctrl" plus "-" simultaneously. The button "-" is next to BackSpace.
You can do it in Microsoft Word. Simple word processor are unable to do so.

Sophie Meis

Tony M
Tony M
France
Local time: 01:57
French to English
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Don't know about Persian, but what I do in EN... Jun 29, 2013

I don't know if there's anything about writing in Persian that makes it especially difficult, but what I do when typing in Western European languages is to create a space using something like half the point size of my text (so if my main typing is in 12pt, I'll use say 6pt), and then copy and paste that whenever I need it; it's a bit of a pain if you have to do it for every word, but in my case, it is only for certain specific spaces.

Alternatively, if you DO need it for EVERY space
... See more
I don't know if there's anything about writing in Persian that makes it especially difficult, but what I do when typing in Western European languages is to create a space using something like half the point size of my text (so if my main typing is in 12pt, I'll use say 6pt), and then copy and paste that whenever I need it; it's a bit of a pain if you have to do it for every word, but in my case, it is only for certain specific spaces.

Alternatively, if you DO need it for EVERY space, you could always do a search-&-replace on all your text at the end, selecting 'space' and replacing with 'space', but changing the point size.

Sorry, I don't know enough about typing Persian or other non-Roman languages to know if either of these methods might be viable for your needs.
Collapse

Mahdieh Kandoei
United States
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
SITE LOCALIZER
Dear Tony Jun 29, 2013

Hi Tony,
This solution can be used for languages which use semi-space rarely. But in Persian e must use it in about 70% of words. So it's time consuming to use this way alternatively. I look for s shortcut key for semi-space.
I must use your solution till I find a faster way. Thank you in advance.

Tony M
Tony M
France
French to English
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Thanks for the explanation! Jun 29, 2013

Right, as I suspected, it's more complicated for Persian than I imagined!

Can you do anything to work from the rules that determine when a semi-space is needed? Is it always after a certain character, or before one; or between certain pairs of characters? If so, that would enable you to write a short search-&-replace macro to apply to your finished document.

If not, then someone more skilled than I could easily write you a macro to create a 'small f
... See more
Right, as I suspected, it's more complicated for Persian than I imagined!

Can you do anything to work from the rules that determine when a semi-space is needed? Is it always after a certain character, or before one; or between certain pairs of characters? If so, that would enable you to write a short search-&-replace macro to apply to your finished document.

If not, then someone more skilled than I could easily write you a macro to create a 'small font space' that you could asign to a specific key combination; in fact, it wouldn't be that difficult to record this macro yourself, as the operation could be readily achieved with a small number of keystrokes.

I hope that is some help, and do please tell us how you get on!
Collapse

Hello Jun 29, 2013

If you have a document where a semi-space is inserted correctly, you can use it to get the character ASCII (or UNOCODE) code . It is a number, and when you type that code holding the ALT key Word will display the character. For example ALT+097 will display 'a'.

Emma Goldsmith
Emma Goldsmith  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2004)
Spanish to English
Alt+8201 Jun 29, 2013

You can get a thin space by entering Alt+8201 although this would take too long in your case. One solution would be to do search+replace at the end, as Tony suggests, or automate it using AutoHotKey.
http://www.autohotkey.com/

You might get a better answer if you ask this on the Persian forum.
HTH,
Emma

Mahdieh Kandoei
United States
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
SITE LOCALIZER
No rules Jun 29, 2013

for example for plural sign we should use a semi space between the word and the plural sign. Some words are combination of more than one word. So between the character of combined words e should use a semi space. these two are two examples of using semi space and they don'y obey any clear rule.
The only way is using a shortcut key for semi space when we are typing, because the typing is finished and then we want to apply semi space it takes more time than the typing itself.
Fortunat
... See more
for example for plural sign we should use a semi space between the word and the plural sign. Some words are combination of more than one word. So between the character of combined words e should use a semi space. these two are two examples of using semi space and they don'y obey any clear rule.
The only way is using a shortcut key for semi space when we are typing, because the typing is finished and then we want to apply semi space it takes more time than the typing itself.
Fortunately, Microsoft office words has a semi space shortcut key, but most of my translation work is online on a subtitling website. So I search for a way to define a shortcut key for semi space for windows Vista not for typing software like Microsoft office tools. In this situation I must type the translation in Microsoft word, then copy and paste it at subtitling online website. It's so time wasting.
Collapse

Mahdieh Kandoei
United States
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
SITE LOCALIZER
َAlt+8201 Jun 29, 2013

Dear Emma
thank you for your suggestion. I test it now, but it doesn't work for Persian typing.

Mahdieh Kandoei
United States
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
SITE LOCALIZER
Iranian_Standard_Persian_Keyboard_(ISIRI_9147)_(Version_2.0) Jun 29, 2013

Dear Alireza
You're a great help. thank you so much
I thank all other freelancers who spent time to answer my question.

Mahdieh Kandoei
United States
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
SITE LOCALIZER
Thank you :) Jun 29, 2013

Uros C wrote:

If you have a document where a semi-space is inserted correctly, you can use it to get the character ASCII (or UNOCODE) code . It is a number, and when you type that code holding the ALT key Word will display the character. For example ALT+097 will display 'a'.

I apply this solution, unfortunately it doesn't help. I think it's not applicable for Persian typing.

Mahdieh Kandoei
United States
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
SITE LOCALIZER
Thank you :) Jun 29, 2013

Masoud Kakoli wrote:

You should press "Ctrl" plus "-" simultaneously. The button "-" is next to BackSpace.
You can do it in Microsoft Word. Simple word processor are unable to do so.

thank you.
but I want to type semi space not in Microsoft Office Word. I want to type it somewhere else.
It maybe helpful to give you instruction to define semi space shortcut key for Microsoft Office tools:
1- insert
2- symbols
3- more symbols
4- special characters
5- no-width optional break
you should click it and click on shortcut key, then you can define a special shortcut key for it.
But, it's only useful in Microsoft Office Tools.

Mina Ahmadi
Mina Ahmadi  Identity Verified
United States
+ ...
just press "Ctrl -" simultaneously Jun 29, 2013

Dera Mahdie,
Just press Ctrl and - simultaneously.
I do it in word environment, I have no idea if it works in other palces or not!

Nader Pourbagher

Mahdieh Kandoei
United States
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
SITE LOCALIZER
I know Jun 29, 2013

minaahmadi wrote:

Dera Mahdie,
Just press Ctrl and - simultaneously.
I do it in word environment, I have no idea if it works in other palces or not!

Dear Mina
I know this point. But I searched for a shortcut key for other environment except word.
I found the solution.
Thank you so much.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Laureana Pavon[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

how can I insert semi-space?

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »