Heini Aronen
Heini Aronen  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 06:31
English to Finnish
+ ...
Learn the real Russian keyboard May 21, 2013

Sarah McDowell wrote:

I would not recommend installing a phonetic keyboard that mimics the English keyboard. You are better off learning the real Russian keyboard. I have heard that it was specially designed so that the most common letters in Russian are located at the centre of the keyboard.

I'll second this. It's actually easy to see if you look at a Russian keyboard. I think learning the keyboard will pay off in the long run, even if it takes some time. Besides, you won't be completely helpless if you have to type with someone else's computer for some reason while in Russia.

I wanted to buy cyrillic stickers for my keyboard in a bookshop in Finland some years ago, but apparently they are not imported anymore. I was too impatient to order them online, so I made my own stickers cutting out tiny pieces of white label sticker and writing the letters on them with a pink felt pen. They look quite cute, even though most have fallen off already.

Petra Fischbäck
Petra Fischbäck  Identity Verified
Local time: 05:31
English to German
+ ...
Learning the keyboard is easy May 21, 2013

I just wanted to add that learning the Russian keyboard by heart can't be as hard as you might think. I've done it twice already - no, I don't speak Russian, but a couple of years ago, I had the brilliant idea to start learning Hebrew, and now I'm learning Korean.

Well, let's just say that my Hebrew is ... well ... basic
And my Korean is at beginner's level, too.
But even after all this time, I know where
... See more
I just wanted to add that learning the Russian keyboard by heart can't be as hard as you might think. I've done it twice already - no, I don't speak Russian, but a couple of years ago, I had the brilliant idea to start learning Hebrew, and now I'm learning Korean.

Well, let's just say that my Hebrew is ... well ... basic
And my Korean is at beginner's level, too.
But even after all this time, I know where most of the Hebrew letters are, and I've memorized most of the Korean ones, too. Of course there are some letters that aren't used often, and it takes longer to memorize these.

This is how you do it: First, you need to install it somewhere in the Windows system configuration. I guess you've already done that? ... Then, print out the keyboard layout from Wikipedia. ... Now, you place your hands on the keyboard just as you always do. And start typing, looking at the keyboard layout to see where the letters are.

This will be agonizingly slow for the first twenty or thirty words. And then, you start to remember where the letters are.

I was really surprised how easy it was in the end. It only took me a couple of weeks, and I didn't type much - just the vocabulary and some of the homework, until the teachers decided that they wanted a longhand version. ;-(

Oh, by the way, don't ever think anything like "א = t". Think "א = move your left index finger up and to the right", or you might start confusing everything, because sounds are different.
Collapse

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Laureana Pavon[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Typing in Cyrillic

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »