Manuela Junghans  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 18:40
Member (2004)
English to German
+ ...
May 1, 2013

Hi everyone

I recently bought a new laptop, which came with Windows 8 on it. With that I´m using Office 2010, and I´m now having problems opening zipped files from e-mail attachments, i.e. I cannot open them. They download, however, on trying to open them, I get an error message - file can´t be opened because the contents pose problems.
I´ve already downloaded zip7 (or was it 7zip), which I found recommended in some forums, however, this didn´t solve the problem either.... See more
Hi everyone

I recently bought a new laptop, which came with Windows 8 on it. With that I´m using Office 2010, and I´m now having problems opening zipped files from e-mail attachments, i.e. I cannot open them. They download, however, on trying to open them, I get an error message - file can´t be opened because the contents pose problems.
I´ve already downloaded zip7 (or was it 7zip), which I found recommended in some forums, however, this didn´t solve the problem either.

Does any computer savvy person out there have any ideas/solutions for this problem? Any help would be much appreciated.

I wish everyone also working on this bank holiday a fab day

Manuela
Collapse

Shai Navé
Shai Navé  Identity Verified
Israel
Local time: 19:40
English to Hebrew
+ ...
Either a security setting or the file is corupt May 1, 2013

First, check to see if the file is not blocked.
Save it in an easily accessible location on your computer (the Desktop for example) > Right click it > Properties > In the Security section at the bottom right hand of the General tab see if you can click Unblock.
If not, maybe it is some setting of your Anti-Virus or other Security software. Which one do you use?
Can you please quote the exact error message that you get?

And if it is not security related, the Zip fi
... See more
First, check to see if the file is not blocked.
Save it in an easily accessible location on your computer (the Desktop for example) > Right click it > Properties > In the Security section at the bottom right hand of the General tab see if you can click Unblock.
If not, maybe it is some setting of your Anti-Virus or other Security software. Which one do you use?
Can you please quote the exact error message that you get?

And if it is not security related, the Zip file itself might be corrupt.

[Edited at 2013-05-01 07:55 GMT]
Collapse

Manuela Junghans
Germany
Member (2004)
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks, Shai, for your reply May 1, 2013

I´m using Trend Micro Anti-Virus, but haven´t changed any of the settings of it.

The error message I get is, as quoted: file can´t be opened because the contents pose problems.

The file is not blocked, and it´s not ONE particular file I cannot open. I´m having this problem with all zipped e-mail attachments lately...

Shai Navé
Israel
English to Hebrew
+ ...
Hmmm... May 1, 2013

Which email client do you use? If you you access your email from a web interface which browser do you use?

If you are using IE you might want to try and disable Windows SmartScreen (How to Turn Off or Disable the SmartScreen Filter In Windows 8) for testing purposes.

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Could be a DOCX problem May 1, 2013

Manuela Junghans wrote:
With that I´m using Office 2010, and I´m now having problems opening zipped files from e-mail attachments, i.e. I cannot open them. They download, however, on trying to open them, I get an error message - file can´t be opened because the contents pose problems.

Based on this google search, it would appear to be a problem with the DOCX file and not with the zip file.

By the way, do you unzip the zip file completely, i.e. does the DOCX file appears on your Desktop as a separate icon, or do you open the DOCX file from "within" the zip file?

Manuela Junghans
Germany
Member (2004)
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Hi Samuel May 1, 2013

Thanks for your reply.

I don´t think it is a DOCX problem. (I had the DOCX problem before on my old computer, when I was still using Office 2003).
But now I can opten DOCX (which come as unzipped attachments) without problems.

As for your other question. No the DOCX symbol doesn´t appear on the desktop (neither in the location the zip file is downloaed to), as the zip doesn´t unzip to show the documents it contains. Exactly that is the problem.

@Sh
... See more
Thanks for your reply.

I don´t think it is a DOCX problem. (I had the DOCX problem before on my old computer, when I was still using Office 2003).
But now I can opten DOCX (which come as unzipped attachments) without problems.

As for your other question. No the DOCX symbol doesn´t appear on the desktop (neither in the location the zip file is downloaed to), as the zip doesn´t unzip to show the documents it contains. Exactly that is the problem.

@Shai: No, I´m not using IE, and I haven´t changed the browser (I´m using Firefox) since before the problem turned up.
Collapse

Shai Navé
Israel
English to Hebrew
+ ...
Let's back up for a minute May 1, 2013

Let's take a step back for a minute to the point in which this problem has stated.

Did it start right after you got your new Windows 8 computer or some time afterwards? If it did start after a while, can you think of any change that you might have made around this time?
Which email client do you use?
Which email service (e.g. Hotmail, Gmail, other) do you use?
Have you tried downloading a Zip file in another browser for testing purposes?
Does this happen with
... See more
Let's take a step back for a minute to the point in which this problem has stated.

Did it start right after you got your new Windows 8 computer or some time afterwards? If it did start after a while, can you think of any change that you might have made around this time?
Which email client do you use?
Which email service (e.g. Hotmail, Gmail, other) do you use?
Have you tried downloading a Zip file in another browser for testing purposes?
Does this happen with all Zip files, regardless of where you try to download them from (the web or your email account)?

Some suggestions:
Try to disable your Anti Virus or Security Suite to see if it makes any difference.
If you don't already do so, try to download the file to a location that you most likely have full write/read permission to such as the Desktop and open it from there.
Collapse

Rolf Keller
Rolf Keller
Germany
English to German
Where does the error message come from? May 1, 2013

Manuela Junghans wrote:

The error message I get is, as quoted: file can´t be opened because the contents pose problems.

This message yields 0 Google hits, so it should be not a Windows message. Where does it come from? Check title bar & task manager.

[Bearbeitet am 2013-05-01 11:59 GMT]

John Fossey
John Fossey  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 13:40
Member (2008)
French to English
+ ...
Unzip online May 1, 2013

Try an online unzipper such as http://b1.org/online and you will find out if it's the file or your computer.

Manuela Junghans
Germany
Member (2004)
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
That´s interesting, Rolf May 1, 2013

Rolf Keller wrote:

Manuela Junghans wrote:

This message yields 0 Google hits, so it should be not a Windows message. Where does it come from? Check title bar & task manager.

[Bearbeitet am 2013-05-01 11:59 GMT]

But what exactly do you mean by: "where does it come from"? I don´t know?? And if only I knew where to find the task manage in Windows 8? And what do mean by: "Check title bar"?

@John: Thanks for that link. I will try it and hope that this one will work...

Rolf Keller
Rolf Keller
Germany
English to German
Oops, I have to speak more plain. :-) May 1, 2013

Manuela Junghans wrote:

But what exactly do you mean by: "where does it come from"?

Which software(component) displays the error message?

And if only I knew where to find the task manage in Windows 8?

At its previous place: Ctrl+Shift+Esc.

And what do mean by: "Check title bar"?

The error message might show up in a window. The title bar of this window might answer the "Where does it come from?" question.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Laureana Pavon[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

problems opening zipped files from e-mail attachments

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »