Christel Zipfel  Identity Verified
Local time: 19:22
Member (2004)
Italian to German
+ ...
Sendspace is great! Apr 5, 2013

José Raeiro wrote:

http://www.sendspace.com/

It doesn't want your email nor name or registration and works fine! I didn't use it for so big files though

[Bearbeitet am 2013-04-05 20:44 GMT]

Oliver Walter
Oliver Walter  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 18:22
German to English
+ ...
Sendspace - size limit Apr 5, 2013

José Raeiro wrote:
http://www.sendspace.com/

The Sendspace step-by-step guide:
http://www.sendspace.com/pro/dl/wx78ni
says that file sizes are limited to 300 MB, and mentions that WinZip can be used to split larger ones.

Oliver

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Tried FileZilla's server, no cigar Apr 5, 2013

John Holland wrote:
Samuel Murray wrote:
The problem is that I haven't found an easy-to-install and easy-to-configure FTP server for my computer system (Windows 7).

Have you ever tried FileZilla? It has a server version for Windows.

Yes, and installing that server is easy (just double-click). Configuring the server and figuring out what information to supply your client with is another matter, though. I tried FileZilla's server but I could not figure out how to use it.

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT
Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Wetransfer Apr 5, 2013

Definitely. I have been using YouSendIt for a long time, but a customer sent something via WeTransfer and my experience is a very positive one with it: a lot simpler to use and faster uploads.

[Edited at 2013-04-05 21:45 GMT]

Rolf Keller
Rolf Keller
Germany
English to German
There is no magic tool Apr 6, 2013

Gitte Hovedskov Hansen wrote:

Upload/download speed... I know, Rolf, and I have the best possible service for my area, it still doesn't shift things quick enough for my liking.

Given that your service takes 2 hours to send 325 MB, how could a software, an online service or whatever else overcome this restriction?

Its true that the FTP-like protocols are – under certain conditions only! – a little bit faster than HTTP (browser) or SMTP (e-mail). But would 5 % really matter?

Either you get more upload speed or you send less data. The latter is what Tony meant: Be sure to use the "Accept all changes" feature, otherwise your file might contain the original (including rejected changes) plus your translation (including rejected changes).

564354352 (X)
564354352 (X)  Identity Verified
Denmark
Danish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
@ Rolf Apr 6, 2013

Hmmm... you may be right and it is simply my Internet connection that is too slow. I just tested it and can see that it is actually considerably lower than what I am paying for, so I will get on to my provider ASAP. This hadn't really crossed my mind, I'm gullible enough to believe that I get what I pay for. Thanks for pointing this out. Again.

The suggestions about making the documents smaller by deleting images
... See more
Hmmm... you may be right and it is simply my Internet connection that is too slow. I just tested it and can see that it is actually considerably lower than what I am paying for, so I will get on to my provider ASAP. This hadn't really crossed my mind, I'm gullible enough to believe that I get what I pay for. Thanks for pointing this out. Again.

The suggestions about making the documents smaller by deleting images and changes are good, in theory, except that this was a proofreading job of an almost-print-ready-file, in which all images obviously had to be left AND track changes had to be used to show all corrections. I did actually split the 175-page document up into five parts just to be able to work in it, but one part alone (only 50 pages) contained so many images that it took up 220 MB, so, a bit of a hopeless case, perhaps.

Still, I will give the suggested alternatives a try and hope that one of them will prove to be quicker than DropBox (still hoping it is not a problem at MY end, you see).
Collapse

Tony M
Tony M
France
French to English
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Google drives Apr 6, 2013

Have just been assaulted with publicity for the 'Google drives' feature; don't know if it would be any good for this prupose, but thought it was at least worth including in the thread.

Gitte, there are good tests readily available to check your ADSL speed, all you need do is Google "adsl speed test" or somesuch...

suongmai
suongmai  Identity Verified
Vietnam
Local time: 00:22
English to Vietnamese
+ ...
Yousendit Apr 6, 2013

I have to send many big files before since i work on videos also, and yousendit is quite good.

Bernard Lieber
Bernard Lieber  Identity Verified
English to French
+ ...
Benchmarks Apr 6, 2013

Hi,

Test the speed of your ADSL connection with http://www.speedtest.net. If you have a professional subscription you can complain about the speed to your ISP.

I've done it quite a few times when the speed is under 85% of the maximum speed you're paying for - was fixed within 24 hours - I agree YouSendIt and Filezilla are fine to transfer large files.

HTH,

... See more
Hi,

Test the speed of your ADSL connection with http://www.speedtest.net. If you have a professional subscription you can complain about the speed to your ISP.

I've done it quite a few times when the speed is under 85% of the maximum speed you're paying for - was fixed within 24 hours - I agree YouSendIt and Filezilla are fine to transfer large files.

HTH,

Bernard
Collapse

Germaine
Germaine  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 13:22
English to French
+ ...
acrobat Apr 7, 2013

Gitte Hovedskov Hansen wrote:

The suggestions about making the documents smaller by deleting images and changes are good, in theory, except that this was a proofreading job... track changes had to be used to show all corrections.

In such a case, I would have created an Acrobat file of the track changes file to send first and accept all changes in the original file before sending it (after). At least, your client has something to chew on while the monster is uploading/downloading...

564354352 (X)
564354352 (X)  Identity Verified
Denmark
Danish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Accepting tracked changes not an option Apr 7, 2013

I see the logic in your suggestion, Germaine, but the whole idea of leaving the changes visible in the document(s) was for the end client to be able to decide which changes to accept and which to reject. There would be no point in them having to read a 175-page PDF file first and then receive the actual Word files later. I don't know whether this is an unusual way to work, but that is what I always expect of my clients. I don't 'tell them' what changes to make in the documents they have carefull... See more
I see the logic in your suggestion, Germaine, but the whole idea of leaving the changes visible in the document(s) was for the end client to be able to decide which changes to accept and which to reject. There would be no point in them having to read a 175-page PDF file first and then receive the actual Word files later. I don't know whether this is an unusual way to work, but that is what I always expect of my clients. I don't 'tell them' what changes to make in the documents they have carefully prepared, I 'suggest' changes knowing full well that they may have preferences for words that I have changed. For instance, it is shockingly common among Danish academics to use a lot of English words in their texts, and equally shocking how many English words are now accepted by the Danish language authority (I came across quite a few surprises in connection with this particular job). I always change English words that are NOT officially accepted as a part of the Danish language, but in some professions they may insist that this is the word they all use and they will want to keep it. Hence, I need to leave the documents open for them to 'reject changes'.

Thanks for the suggestions on how to check the upload/download speed of my Internet connection. As I said earliler, I had already done that.
Collapse

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Laureana Pavon[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Help! How best to transfer big files?

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »