Thread poster: Mike Sadler (X)
Mike Sadler (X)
Mike Sadler (X)  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 06:07
Spanish to English
+ ...
Feb 26, 2013

I love to travel and to work from wherever I am, and I also love to work using multiple display screens.
I've recently discovered and bought a screen to plug into my laptop that is so slim I can pack it away with the laptop for travelling yet which works remarkably well, hence my reason to share info on it here.
There are, it seems, two such screens readily available: the Lenovo LT1421 and the Toshiba 14" Mobile Monitor.
Both get their data and power from USB ports on the lapto
... See more
I love to travel and to work from wherever I am, and I also love to work using multiple display screens.
I've recently discovered and bought a screen to plug into my laptop that is so slim I can pack it away with the laptop for travelling yet which works remarkably well, hence my reason to share info on it here.
There are, it seems, two such screens readily available: the Lenovo LT1421 and the Toshiba 14" Mobile Monitor.
Both get their data and power from USB ports on the laptop. In some cases they need two USB's, though my relatively puny HP cheapo laptop can work my screen with only one, with the monitor I chose, the Lenovo. I'd never before heard of video running over USB, but it really does work.
Image quality isn't HD, but it's absolutely great for reading documents, installation was a breeze, and the packed size makes it, for me at least, an absolute winner.
So, it could be there are other professionals out there who might want to take a look at one of these.
Collapse

LEXpert
LEXpert  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 00:07
Member (2008)
Croatian to English
+ ...
Have the Toshiba Feb 26, 2013

I have the Toshiba and it works fine for me. Since any 2nd screen while I'm traveling is mostly for viewing source documents/pdfs, another good solution I've found is to add the files to iBooks and then view them on my iPad. Even though you need to scroll or zoom a little for most documents, this is quick on the iPad, requiring only a swipe in the desired direction or pinch in or out.
Other components I keep ready in my "traveling office" are a ScanSnap USB-powered scanner and a compact H
... See more
I have the Toshiba and it works fine for me. Since any 2nd screen while I'm traveling is mostly for viewing source documents/pdfs, another good solution I've found is to add the files to iBooks and then view them on my iPad. Even though you need to scroll or zoom a little for most documents, this is quick on the iPad, requiring only a swipe in the desired direction or pinch in or out.
Other components I keep ready in my "traveling office" are a ScanSnap USB-powered scanner and a compact HP100 inkjet printer, which can run on its detachable/rechargeable battery.
Collapse

Mike Sadler (X)
Mike Sadler (X)  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 06:07
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
It was the ipad that made me wonder of slim screens were available Feb 27, 2013

Rudolf Vedo CT wrote:

Other components I keep ready in my "traveling office" are a ScanSnap USB-powered scanner and a compact HP100 inkjet printer, which can run on its detachable/rechargeable battery.

It was thinking about the ipad and its design that got me to wondering if this sort of screen was around. Having a secondary screen you can control from your main computer and mouse (and the price) swung me to a secondary screen rather than using an ipad.

On the subject of travelling kit, I also lug a full size keyboard with me and a USB hub as the keyboard, mouse, screen and internet dongle use more USB ports than the laptop has. The real nuisance is packing the keyboard as the rest all goes in the laptop bag.

Oliver Pekelharing
Oliver Pekelharing  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 07:07
Dutch to English
Great tip! Feb 27, 2013

Thanks for the tip. I don't travel, but I do operate entirely from my laptop in my living room or kitchen. Was recently starting to miss screen space, especially using Trados Studio. I tried a second monitor but 1. its too big and 2. it looks awful in a living room/kitchen. This little Toshiba is just the thing!

Dominique Pivard
Dominique Pivard  Identity Verified
Local time: 08:07
Finnish to French
iPad as 2nd monitor Mar 1, 2013

I tried to use my iPad as a second monitor, using the Air Display app (cost $8 at the time, now $10). You can see the setup here:

http://commondatastorage.googleapis.com/domi-documents/20120524_002.jpg

It's OK for viewing PDF's in portrait mode, but it was rather slow and cumb
... See more
I tried to use my iPad as a second monitor, using the Air Display app (cost $8 at the time, now $10). You can see the setup here:

http://commondatastorage.googleapis.com/domi-documents/20120524_002.jpg

It's OK for viewing PDF's in portrait mode, but it was rather slow and cumbersome. I used a desktop picture frame to maintain my iPad in upright position. The good thing is it's totally wireless (you do need a WiFi network, though).
Collapse

Oliver Pekelharing
Oliver Pekelharing  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 07:07
Dutch to English
Toshiba Mar 3, 2013

I've had the toshiba for a couple of days now and it works a treat. Quality is not perfect, but good enough. Great for viewing the preview screen in studio or memoq. So thanks again for the tip.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Laureana Pavon[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Mobile/highly portable display screen

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »