https://www.proz.com/forum/general_technical_issues/240553-cant_deliver_the_completed_job_what_to_do.html

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Can't deliver the completed job... what to do?
Thread poster: Alexandra Schneeuhr
Alexandra Schneeuhr
Alexandra Schneeuhr  Identity Verified
Cyprus
Local time: 08:00
English to Russian
+ ...
Jan 4, 2013

Hello,

I am totally confused and not sure what else could be done...
The customer sent me a final draft to double-check after formatting was applied, I did the required and emailed my comments back, but the email returned as 'undeliverable'.

I sent total a dozen of emails, attempted to email the customer via ProZ.com messages, called the phone number (listed under his 'contacts' tab in his ProZ.com profile), attempted to fax him, too, but all to no avail. The ph
... See more
Hello,

I am totally confused and not sure what else could be done...
The customer sent me a final draft to double-check after formatting was applied, I did the required and emailed my comments back, but the email returned as 'undeliverable'.

I sent total a dozen of emails, attempted to email the customer via ProZ.com messages, called the phone number (listed under his 'contacts' tab in his ProZ.com profile), attempted to fax him, too, but all to no avail. The phone had answering machine on, and the fax appears disconnected.

I know I completed the job well on time, but there's no way I can deliver it. Anybody was in the same or similar situation?... thanks.
Collapse

Fiona Grace Peterson
Fiona Grace Peterson  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 07:00
Italian to English
Keep a record of all your communication Jan 4, 2013

Wow, what an uncomfortable and annoying situation... you have my sympathies.

I think the only thing you can do is keep trying, and keep a record of all your (attempted) communication with him, in case he should argue you did not deliver the job.

I hope the situation resolves itself soon.

Rolf Keller
Rolf Keller
Germany
English to German
Reason statement? Jan 4, 2013

Alexandra Schneeuhr wrote:

the email returned as 'undeliverable'

The very first question: What reason was stated? There should be a reason statement in the "Sorry, undeliverably" message sent to you.

Sergei Leshchinsky
Sergei Leshchinsky  Identity Verified
Ukraine
Member (2008)
English to Russian
+ ...
Undeliverable... Jan 4, 2013

It may be because of the size of the attached files. Try uploading the files to some file share and send just a link in the e-mail.

Alexandra Schneeuhr
Cyprus
English to Russian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
No attached files... Jan 4, 2013

Thanks for your responses!

Sergei Leshchinsky wrote:
It may be because of the size of the attached files. Try uploading the files to some file share and send just a link in the e-mail.

There were no attached files, just comments and the link. The actual document was abt 300 MB, so we had to use a file exchanger....

[Edited at 2013-01-04 12:31 GMT]

Stanislaw Czech, MCIL CL
Stanislaw Czech, MCIL CL  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 06:00
Member (2006)
English to Polish
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Maybe just wait a bit Jan 4, 2013

It could be a simple broadband failure or something similar. It's possible that fax didn't work for months and the phone may be a Skype In numer or something simmilar and cannot work without Internet connection just like the mail server.

Cheer up!

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Something similar happened to me Jan 4, 2013

a few years back: the customer had decided to grant himself one week vacation at the beginning of the year and his e-mail box was full! Are you still ahead of time?

B D Finch
B D Finch  Identity Verified
France
French to English
+ ...
Could this be a scam? Jan 4, 2013

Are you sure the client concerned is genuine? Had you already delivered any preliminary work to them? How long have they been registered with ProZ and are there any Blue Board entries? Have you checked their contact details with the local phone book/Yellow Pages, chamber of commerce ... ? I don't want to worry you unnecessarily, but if there was a previous part of the job you delivered successfully, that might have been all they actually wanted.

Otherwise, if they have a problem wi
... See more
Are you sure the client concerned is genuine? Had you already delivered any preliminary work to them? How long have they been registered with ProZ and are there any Blue Board entries? Have you checked their contact details with the local phone book/Yellow Pages, chamber of commerce ... ? I don't want to worry you unnecessarily, but if there was a previous part of the job you delivered successfully, that might have been all they actually wanted.

Otherwise, if they have a problem with their phone line, they will know about it and cannot blame you. You will just need to keep trying until you get through. It might be worth sending the work by post (burn a CD). When I moved home, France Telecom Orange kept me without any phone service for over two weeks through their pure incompetence and arrogant refusal to check the (incorrect) information they had sent their subcontractor. I am told that other telecoms companies can be equally bad.
Collapse

Jørgen Madsen
Jørgen Madsen  Identity Verified
English to Danish
+ ...
You have done all you can... Jan 4, 2013

I wouldn't worry, because you've done all you can. It's not your problem that the client doesn't respond. However, I agree with B D Finch that this could be sign of a scam, so be careful!

[Edited at 2013-01-04 12:49 GMT]

Alexandra Schneeuhr
Cyprus
English to Russian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
different reasons Jan 4, 2013

Thanks for yet more comments and help.

The reason given was:

Technical details of permanent failure:
DNS Error: Domain name not found

I am really out of my mind by now, as we emailed back and forth all day yesterday, and it was perfectly OK...

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
If you are using a Gmail Jan 4, 2013

https://productforums.google.com/forum/?fromgroups=#!topic/gmail/ggPPzjbfAgY

Phil Hand
Phil Hand  Identity Verified
China
Local time: 13:00
Chinese to English
This happened to me between Christmas and New Year Jan 4, 2013

All my emails to a client were suddenly bounced back. Fortunately, it wasn't deadline time for me, but it did make project confirmation rather awkward. Then after New Year email service was suddenly resumed, with no explanation.

You've done all you can - I suppose you could try faxing it if you're really keen. Your client should understand when they get back in touch.

TranslateThis
TranslateThis  Identity Verified
Local time: 00:00
Spanish to English
+ ...
Try a different e-mail provider Jan 4, 2013

Try sending a message from another e-mail account, maybe that will work. I hope you will hear from the client soon!

Rolf Keller
Rolf Keller
Germany
English to German
Check from a different location Jan 4, 2013

Alexandra Schneeuhr wrote:

"Technical details of permanent failure:
DNS Error: Domain name not found"

This means that the problem has nothing to do with the recipient's email box.

The domain might be blocked for financial or legal reasons, or it may be unreachable because of a technical problem.

In order to make sure that the problem is not caused by your Internet provider or by your PC, you could ask somebody else to check the accessibility of that domain.

Natalie
Natalie  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2002)
English to Russian
+ ...

SITE LOCALIZER
Hi Alexandra Jan 4, 2013

My magic ball tells me that their domain has expired on 2013-01-03... Most probably they forgot to renew... The only thing that you can do is waiting while they contact you themselves...

Best,
Natalia
P.S. Please contact me privately if you wish.

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Laureana Pavon[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Can't deliver the completed job... what to do?

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »