https://www.proz.com/forum/general_technical_issues/235829-end_of_pdf_editing_problems-page2.html

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
End of PDF editing problems?
Thread poster: Michele Fauble
Laurent KRAULAND (X)
Laurent KRAULAND (X)  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 18:45
French to German
+ ...
Don't count too much on it Oct 24, 2012

Heinrich Pesch wrote:

stake wrote:

I've been using Office 2013 Preview for several weeks now and the feature of opening PDF files as editable Word documents was the first one I put to the test. And to my surprise it works quite astonishing. No other OCR or PDF converting software I have ever tested or used gives such good results as Word 2013. I used a PDF file with headers, footers, combined one-column and two-column layout with tables and graphics inside. Of course, it still required time to do some touch-up and have a "perfect" Word document, but definitely less than with other software. The other thing is that to have such good results you need to have a "proper" PDF file. Unfortunately, these days it is not very uncommon to have poorly made PDFs and if you have one of them there is no software to cope with them decently.

Chris

So in future no client will send us pdf but only Word 2013-files for translation. I heartly welcome such development.

Given the fact that most MS Word documents I receive are still in the "old" DOC format, I wouldn't count too much on it - at least not in a near future.

Furthermore, I really don't see any clients putting money in MS Office 2013 just for the sake of helping us translators.

But who knows... maybe they have other reasons to purchase Office 2013?

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Local time: 17:45
Member (2008)
Italian to English
NOT Oct 24, 2012

Laurent KRAULAND wrote:

....who knows... maybe they have other reasons to purchase Office 2013?

Here's one reason why not:

http://www.pcpro.co.uk/realworld/377623/office-2013s-unhealthy-obsession-with-an-internet-connection

[Edited at 2012-10-24 08:28 GMT]

neilmac
neilmac
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
It had better not be! Oct 24, 2012

I've just invested in an expensive SW to handle PDFs, so I hope this turns out to be yet another case of marketing hype. They also said Windows 7 / Office 2010 was going to be a big improvement, but apart from the stability of W7 compared to earlier versions, I don't like either of them - I even had to download a plug-in to get my old Office user interface back so that I could continue to work as comfortably as before. And none of my CD dictionaries work on their Windows 7 64-bit platform, whic... See more
I've just invested in an expensive SW to handle PDFs, so I hope this turns out to be yet another case of marketing hype. They also said Windows 7 / Office 2010 was going to be a big improvement, but apart from the stability of W7 compared to earlier versions, I don't like either of them - I even had to download a plug-in to get my old Office user interface back so that I could continue to work as comfortably as before. And none of my CD dictionaries work on their Windows 7 64-bit platform, which is also really irritating.Collapse

neilmac
neilmac
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Mucky bargepole Oct 24, 2012

Tom in London wrote:

Laurent KRAULAND wrote:

....who knows... maybe they have other reasons to purchase Office 2013?

Here's one reason why not:

http://www.pcpro.co.uk/realworld/377623/office-2013s-unhealthy-obsession-with-an-internet-connection

[Edited at 2012-10-24 08:28 GMT]

"The applications try to coax you into storing your documents online...”
Sums it up for me. Thanks but no thanks, Mr Gates...

[Edited at 2012-10-24 09:47 GMT]

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Laureana Pavon[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

End of PDF editing problems?

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »