What is the name for the little component in a keyboard?
Thread poster: Chunyi Chen
Chunyi Chen
Chunyi Chen
United States
Local time: 09:28
English to Chinese
Aug 28, 2012

Dear language experts,

Do any of you know what is the name of a component that's used to prop up your keyboard so that the top is tilted rather than sitting flat on your desk? These little components are usually located on both ends of your keyboard on the top in the back. (I hope this gives clear visual clues as to where/what they are.)

One of these components is broken on my Logictech wireless keyboard and I am trying to get a new one to replace the damaged component
... See more
Dear language experts,

Do any of you know what is the name of a component that's used to prop up your keyboard so that the top is tilted rather than sitting flat on your desk? These little components are usually located on both ends of your keyboard on the top in the back. (I hope this gives clear visual clues as to where/what they are.)

One of these components is broken on my Logictech wireless keyboard and I am trying to get a new one to replace the damaged component (if I can find it). I looked at the quick guide that came with the keyboard but couldn't find the information. Does anyone know what it is called so that I can start looking for them online?

Thank you so much for your help.

Chun-yi
Collapse

LEXpert
LEXpert  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 11:28
Member (2008)
Croatian to English
+ ...
Keyboard leg, but... Aug 28, 2012

Keyboard (prop, flip) leg, but these are virtually impossible to source as spare parts. You're better off trying to fix it, or construct a replacement. I kind of like this creative idea :

http://www.instructables.com/id/Replacement-Keyboard-Legs/

Or just prop it up on something of compati
... See more
Keyboard (prop, flip) leg, but these are virtually impossible to source as spare parts. You're better off trying to fix it, or construct a replacement. I kind of like this creative idea :

Or just prop it up on something of compatible height - Post-it stack, etc...
Collapse

Chunyi Chen
Chunyi Chen
United States
English to Chinese
TOPIC STARTER
Ha, didn't think of the DIY alternative Aug 28, 2012

Hi Rudolf,

Thank you for the answer and also the fix-it-yourself possibilities. I am going to give it a try, starting with the bulldog clips, which I happen to have on hand:)

So these are called "legs". I wouldn't have thought of that name, although coming to think of it, it does make sense.

Chun-yi

Added: I ended up using an old eraser cut in half and stacked them up to match the height. I wouldn't have thought of this myself. Thank
... See more
Hi Rudolf,

Thank you for the answer and also the fix-it-yourself possibilities. I am going to give it a try, starting with the bulldog clips, which I happen to have on hand:)

So these are called "legs". I wouldn't have thought of that name, although coming to think of it, it does make sense.

Chun-yi

Added: I ended up using an old eraser cut in half and stacked them up to match the height. I wouldn't have thought of this myself. Thank you again, Rudolf, for pointing me to the possible solutions. I almost bought a new keyboard just for the broken leg!

Rudolf Vedo CT wrote:

Or just prop it up on something of compatible height - Post-it stack, etc...

[Edited at 2012-08-28 17:58 GMT]
Collapse

Jaroslaw Michalak
Jaroslaw Michalak  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 18:28
Member (2004)
English to Polish
SITE LOCALIZER
Contact Logitech Aug 28, 2012

Why don't you contact Logitech support? It's possible your keyboard is still covered by a warranty and even if it is not, they might help you for a reasonable price...

Their support is quite amazing - I contacted them when one of my mice stopped working (not completely - just the left button sometimes clicked more than it should). They found out my mouse is still covered by the warranty (five years! I have lost the receipt long time before...), had me send it over to the repair shop
... See more
Why don't you contact Logitech support? It's possible your keyboard is still covered by a warranty and even if it is not, they might help you for a reasonable price...

Their support is quite amazing - I contacted them when one of my mice stopped working (not completely - just the left button sometimes clicked more than it should). They found out my mouse is still covered by the warranty (five years! I have lost the receipt long time before...), had me send it over to the repair shop (they paid for the courier service) and decided the repair is not worth the hassle - they just sent me a new one, but a better model... As you can tell, since then I'm a fan

[Edited at 2012-08-28 23:17 GMT]
Collapse

Chunyi Chen
Chunyi Chen
United States
English to Chinese
TOPIC STARTER
I might...but not now:) Aug 28, 2012

I didn't know that their warranty covers five years. In that case, mine is very likely to be still under warranty. Even so, it is still a hassle to call them and explain what's going on. I may do that later, but not now when I am in a big project with tight deadlines. Thank you for your suggestion though. It's good to know my Logictech keyboards are well covered (I have two of them).

Chun-yi

Jabberwock wrote:

Their support is quite amazing - I contacted them when one of my mice stopped working (not completely - just the left button sometimes clicked more than it should). They found out my mouse is still covered by the warranty (five years! I have lost the receipt long time before...), had me send it over to the repair shop (they paid for the courier service) and decided the repair is not worth the hassle - they just sent me a new one, but a better model... As you can tell, since then I'm a fan

Jaroslaw Michalak
Jaroslaw Michalak  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2004)
English to Polish
SITE LOCALIZER
Not sure... Aug 29, 2012

Chun-yi Chen wrote:

I didn't know that their warranty covers five years. In that case, mine is very likely to be still under warranty.

It might depend on a particular model...

Chunyi Chen
Chunyi Chen
United States
English to Chinese
TOPIC STARTER
Logitech is great--they certainly won another customer Jan 8, 2013

My DIY fix where I stacked and taped two erasers together to match the height of the other leg is starting to fall off after a few months. I decided it's time to call Logitech and see if they would send me a replacement for the missing/broken leg. (It's been so long that I forgot whether it went missing or it was broken.) They first told me that they "don't have it" (bummer)--but then they continued by saying "we will ship you a new keyboard". Since I bought this keyboard that includes a mous... See more
My DIY fix where I stacked and taped two erasers together to match the height of the other leg is starting to fall off after a few months. I decided it's time to call Logitech and see if they would send me a replacement for the missing/broken leg. (It's been so long that I forgot whether it went missing or it was broken.) They first told me that they "don't have it" (bummer)--but then they continued by saying "we will ship you a new keyboard". Since I bought this keyboard that includes a mouse, they were even going to send me a mouse!

I kindly turned down the mouse, as I have never used this heavy little thing that came with the keyboard, but I was very happy to learn that they are going to send me a new keyboard for one broken leg! Thank you, Jabberwock, for this tip. I should have tried contacting them sooner.

Now they have got themselves another fan and advocate:)

Chun-yi

PS. Mine also has five year warranty. They didn't ask for a receipt, either. Awww, what a fantastic company.

Jabberwock wrote:

Collapse

aliasonly
aliasonly  Identity Verified
Chinese to English
+ ...
Lucky you Jan 8, 2013

So, you did get a good deal from Logitech, thanks to this forum of Proz.com.

Chunyi Chen
Chunyi Chen
United States
English to Chinese
TOPIC STARTER
Exactly. Jan 8, 2013

There are many knowledgeable and resourceful people here on the Proz forums!

I should add that I did contact Logitech first by logging my case on their support portal but received no response for four days. Then I decided to follow up with phone call and got my issue resolved in one call.

Chun-yi

aliasonly wrote:

So, you did get a good deal from Logitech, thanks to this forum of Proz.com.

Tony M
Tony M
France
French to English
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Different experience with Logitech Jan 8, 2013

You were luckier than I!

I tried to contact them, not for a guarantee problem, but for advice and possible after-sales service (paid) for my wireless keyboard; even though I was only one month outside the original guarantee period, they sent me packing and refused any form of help or even to talk to me.

That's one customer they've lost! Although I always used to prefer Logitech products, I have now had much better and longer service from my 'cheap imitation' at less tha
... See more
You were luckier than I!

I tried to contact them, not for a guarantee problem, but for advice and possible after-sales service (paid) for my wireless keyboard; even though I was only one month outside the original guarantee period, they sent me packing and refused any form of help or even to talk to me.

That's one customer they've lost! Although I always used to prefer Logitech products, I have now had much better and longer service from my 'cheap imitation' at less than half the price, and I shall certainly never buy one of their products again if I can help it.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Laureana Pavon[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

What is the name for the little component in a keyboard?

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »