https://www.proz.com/forum/general_technical_issues/231281-need_help_with_ahk_scripts-page2.html

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3] >
Need help with AHK scripts
Thread poster: Chunyi Chen
Dominique Pivard
Dominique Pivard  Identity Verified
Local time: 19:37
Finnish to French
Recompiled script with older AHK version Aug 24, 2012

Chun-yi Chen wrote:
Thanks so much for sending me your working codes. The bad news is, they are not working on my end. When I ran your ahk script, I received an error message saying error in line 1; Line Text: yp (both y and p in weird format), followed by Error: This line does not contain a recognized action. Then program exited due to the error.

I think what happened was you saved your codes in unicode, which for some reason didn't work on my end.

Yes, I think it has to do with Unicode. I also experienced problems after I installed the latest version of AHK. Here I have compiled three versions of the same script (.ahk saved as non-Unicode), using an older version of AHK (1.1.05.01, from November 2011):

http://commondatastorage.googleapis.com/memoq/chinese-quote-ahk-1.1.05.01.zip

They do work on my system, both in memoQ and in Word. But then, my system isn't set for Chinese, which could also be one reason.

Endre Both
Endre Both  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 18:37
English to German
Check your shortcut assignments Aug 24, 2012

Chun-yi Chen wrote:
I have Alt+9 and Alt+0 assigned for Chinese quotations in Word. I am trying to reproduce them in MemoQ but haven't figured out how.

!+9::Send, {????} ; Type Chinese left quotation mark (Alt+9)
!+0::Send, {????} ; Type Chinese left quotation mark (Alt+0)

!+9 is Alt-Shift-9, not Alt+9 (that would be !9) - could this be your problem?

Endre

Chunyi Chen
Chunyi Chen
United States
Local time: 09:37
English to Chinese
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you, Dominique, one of your codes works here!! Aug 24, 2012

Hi Dominique,

You second one _unicode_64 is working on my computer. I am so happy about it!
So this probably means that I need to go find an older version of AHK.
This is good enough for me now. When I have time, I will start building up the lazy woman's shortcuts in AHK scripts.
Thank you again for all of your great help!

Chun-yi

[/quote]
Yes, I think it has to do with Unicode. I also experienced problems after I installed the
... See more
Hi Dominique,

You second one _unicode_64 is working on my computer. I am so happy about it!
So this probably means that I need to go find an older version of AHK.
This is good enough for me now. When I have time, I will start building up the lazy woman's shortcuts in AHK scripts.
Thank you again for all of your great help!

Chun-yi

[/quote]
Yes, I think it has to do with Unicode. I also experienced problems after I installed the latest version of AHK. Here I have compiled three versions of the same script (.ahk saved as non-Unicode), using an older version of AHK (1.1.05.01, from November 2011):

They do work on my system, both in memoQ and in Word. But then, my system isn't set for Chinese, which could also be one reason.
[/quote]
Collapse

Chunyi Chen
Chunyi Chen
United States
English to Chinese
TOPIC STARTER
The problem could be the version of AHK I downloaded Aug 24, 2012

Hi Endre,

Thank you for your nice detective work. I changed from !(Alt) to ^+(Shift-Ctrl or vice versa) out of desperation when the first attempt failed, thinking maybe Alt-9 may have been assigned/used by another program. Now that Dominique's 2nd AHK script works here, I am pretty sure the problem came from the latest version of AHK I downloaded yesterday. My next thing to do would be to find the right AHK version for my Windows 7, 64 bit computer. If I read it correctly, (1.1.
... See more
Hi Endre,

Thank you for your nice detective work. I changed from !(Alt) to ^+(Shift-Ctrl or vice versa) out of desperation when the first attempt failed, thinking maybe Alt-9 may have been assigned/used by another program. Now that Dominique's 2nd AHK script works here, I am pretty sure the problem came from the latest version of AHK I downloaded yesterday. My next thing to do would be to find the right AHK version for my Windows 7, 64 bit computer. If I read it correctly, (1.1.05.01, from November 2011) would be the version I should get.
It's amazing to see how an AHK script does its job--when it's working:)

Chun-yi

Endre Both wrote:

Chun-yi Chen wrote:
I have Alt+9 and Alt+0 assigned for Chinese quotations in Word. I am trying to reproduce them in MemoQ but haven't figured out how.

!+9::Send, {????} ; Type Chinese left quotation mark (Alt+9)
!+0::Send, {????} ; Type Chinese left quotation mark (Alt+0)

!+9 is Alt-Shift-9, not Alt+9 (that would be !9) - could this be your problem?

Endre
Collapse

Chunyi Chen
Chunyi Chen
United States
English to Chinese
TOPIC STARTER
Your version seems to be a newer one, not an older one Aug 24, 2012

Dominique,

The version found on the autohotkey website which they claim to be the latest is 1.0.48.05.
Isn't your 1.1.05 newer than that?

I still have trouble deleting the AHK execution file that I incorrectly compiled and saved it on my desktop. I was able to delete all other .ahk files that I no longer needed, but this exe file just can't be killed. Maybe it's another bug in the 1.0.48.05 version.

Your scripts work in all applications I tried, i
... See more
Dominique,

The version found on the autohotkey website which they claim to be the latest is 1.0.48.05.

I still have trouble deleting the AHK execution file that I incorrectly compiled and saved it on my desktop. I was able to delete all other .ahk files that I no longer needed, but this exe file just can't be killed. Maybe it's another bug in the 1.0.48.05 version.

Your scripts work in all applications I tried, including Studio. Thanks so much!

Chun-yi

Dominique Pivard wrote:

Collapse

Dominique Pivard
Finnish to French
AHK 1.1.05.01 Aug 24, 2012

Chun-yi Chen wrote:
My next thing to do would be to find the right AHK version for my Windows 7, 64 bit computer. If I read it correctly, (1.1.05.01, from November 2011) would be the version I should get.

Actually, I had installed it on 16-Oct-2011 and I managed to find the installer in my Downloads folder on a backup copy made the next day, so I copied it here, just in case you cannot find it elsewhere:

http://commondatastorage.googleapis.com/memoq/AutoHotkey110501_Install.exe

If I remember correctly, that version of the installer asked you questions about 32 bit vs. 64 bit and non-Unicode vs. Unicode. If so, I believe you should select 64-bit Unicode.

Dominique Pivard
Finnish to French
"Official" version is older Aug 24, 2012

Chun-yi Chen wrote:

Yes, you are correct. Here is what they say on their download page:

AutoHotkey - version 1.0.48.05 (latest)
This version has been stable since 2009 and contains the core functionality for desktop automation.

The one I got is this one ("Alternative versions and forks of AutoHotkey"):

http://www.autohotkey.com/forum/topic64885.html

If you follow that link you will see:

AutoHotkey_L
A custom build of AutoHotkey maintained by Lexikos which features objects, classes, 64-bit support and Unicode.

I think Unicode-compatibility is the key feature of this alternative version.

Chunyi Chen
Chunyi Chen
United States
English to Chinese
TOPIC STARTER
My first AHK script is up and running Aug 24, 2012

Hi Dominique,

Thanks to your patience and generosity in sharing your secret "recipes", I finally got everything set up and running. I removed the older version and installed your version, and that solved the problem I have had.
If you don't mind answering one question: is it a good idea to put the script in the startup folder? I tried that yesterday when the script was still not working, and it seemed to slow down my computer's starting up process. But again, this could b
... See more
Hi Dominique,

Thanks to your patience and generosity in sharing your secret "recipes", I finally got everything set up and running. I removed the older version and installed your version, and that solved the problem I have had.
If you don't mind answering one question: is it a good idea to put the script in the startup folder? I tried that yesterday when the script was still not working, and it seemed to slow down my computer's starting up process. But again, this could be that the script was not a working script. If I do put it in the startup, I need to compile it into an exe file so that it is automatically executed when I start my computer, right?
Now I have five assigned shortcuts in the script for the Chinese symbols that are not readily available on my keyboard. Thank you!!!
I would also like to thank Michael for helping me started. You codes that I found on the other site gave me some clues about how these ahk scripts should look like. The step by step instructions were very helpful, too.
Thank you both!

Chun-yi

Dominique Pivard wrote:

Chun-yi Chen wrote:

Yes, you are correct. Here is what they say on their download page:

AutoHotkey - version 1.0.48.05 (latest)
This version has been stable since 2009 and contains the core functionality for desktop automation.

The one I got is this one ("Alternative versions and forks of AutoHotkey"):

http://www.autohotkey.com/forum/topic64885.html

If you follow that link you will see:

AutoHotkey_L
A custom build of AutoHotkey maintained by Lexikos which features objects, classes, 64-bit support and Unicode.

I think Unicode-compatibility is the key feature of this alternative version.
Collapse

Dominique Pivard
Finnish to French
Procedure for loading script at startup Aug 24, 2012

Chun-yi Chen wrote:
If you don't mind answering one question: is it a good idea to put the script in the startup folder? I tried that yesterday when the script was still not working, and it seemed to slow down my computer's starting up process. But again, this could be that the script was not a working script. If I do put it in the startup, I need to compile it into an exe file so that it is automatically executed when I start my computer, right?

Actually, you cannot load an AHK script at startup with Windows 7. This is because of the enhanced security of newer versions of Windows and the fact AHK hasn't got a digital signature (= a kind of seal of approval). You need to use Task Scheduler and create a task with elevated privileges (= as administrator) that will load the script at logon time.

Chun-yi Chen wrote:
Now I have five assigned shortcuts in the script for the Chinese symbols that are not readily available on my keyboard. Thank you!!!

Good to hear you managed to get your script to work! I'm sure you will find plenty of other nice things to do with AHK.

Michael Beijer
Michael Beijer  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 17:37
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
My scripts do seem to autostart on Win7... Aug 24, 2012

Dominique Pivard wrote:

Actually, you cannot load an AHK script at startup with Windows 7. This is because of the enhanced security of newer versions of Windows and the fact AHK hasn't got a digital signature (= a kind of seal of approval). You need to use Task Scheduler and create a task with elevated privileges (= as administrator) that will load the script at logon time.

Hmm, I just checked, and I think you can.

I made shortcuts of my AHK scripts, and placed the shortcuts in 'C:\Users\Michael J.W. Beijer\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Startup'. After a restart they automatically start, without slowing down boo time at all.

I don't compile them so that if I want to make a quick change to one of them, all I need to do is right-click the little white-on-green icon, and voilà!

Michael

[Edited at 2012-08-24 16:42 GMT]

Dominique: sorry to confuse everyone by editing my post. The reason I thought my scripts weren't auto-starting from the startup folder is that one of them wasn't – because I had forgotten to put a shortcut for it in there, which led me to believe that they weren't all working;)

[Edited at 2012-08-24 16:45 GMT]

Dominique Pivard
Finnish to French
Details for creating task in Task Scheduler Aug 24, 2012

Michael Beijer wrote:
Ha ha, now I know why my scripts never seem to start automatically. Thanks for the tip Dominique. For some time I have had three AHK script shortcuts in my startup folder, but I kept noticing that they weren't starting automatically, so I kept navigating to them and manually starting them;)

You can find step-by-step instructions for creating a suitable task in Task Scheduler here:

http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/Wordfast_FI/message/8358

It's for IntelliWebSearch (the mother of all AHK scripts for translators) and in Finnish, but you can use it for any other AHK script and there are lots of screenshots (in English), so you don't need to understand Finnish.

Chunyi Chen
Chunyi Chen
United States
English to Chinese
TOPIC STARTER
That's good news, I will give it a try. Aug 24, 2012

Hi Michael,

Is the reason for you to make shortcuts of your AHK scripts for easy access to them when you need to modify them? Placing them in startup folder sounds even more efficient. I will give it a try later.
Thanks for the tip.

Chun-yi

Michael Beijer wrote:

Dominique Pivard wrote:

I made shortcuts of my AHK scripts, and placed the shortcuts in 'C:\Users\Michael J.W. Beijer\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Startup'. After a restart they automatically start, without slowing down boo time at all.

I don't compile them so that if I want to make a quick change to one of them, all I need to do is right-click the little white-on-green icon, and voilà!

Michael

[Edited at 2012-08-24 16:42 GMT]

Dominique: sorry to confuse everyone by editing my post. The reason I thought my scripts weren't auto-starting from the startup folder is that one of them wasn't – because I had forgotten to put a shortcut for it in there, which led me to believe that they weren't all working;)

[Edited at 2012-08-24 16:45 GMT]

Chunyi Chen
Chunyi Chen
United States
English to Chinese
TOPIC STARTER
also added Babylon to my script Aug 24, 2012

Yes, the plot is getting thicker--I just added a script for using Babylon from MemoQ (another script I found on the MemoQ forum). I have to thank you again for pointing me to the correct version, otherwise I would have given up by now or still be chasing the red herring.

Chun-yi

Dominique Pivard wrote:

Good to hear you managed to get your script to work! I'm sure you will find plenty of other nice things to do with AHK.

Dominique Pivard
Finnish to French
UAC? Aug 24, 2012

Michael Beijer wrote:
Dominique Pivard wrote:

What setting do you have for UAC: default (enabled) or never notify?

Michael Beijer
Michael Beijer  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 17:37
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
@Dominique: Aug 24, 2012

Never notify. I don't like to be bothered while I work;)

Michael

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Laureana Pavon[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Need help with AHK scripts

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »