https://www.proz.com/forum/general_technical_issues/230152-hyperlinks_to_adverts_appearing_in_web_pages_and_forums.html

Hyperlinks to Adverts appearing in web pages and forums
Thread poster: Russell Jones
Russell Jones
Russell Jones  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 00:49
Italian to English
Aug 2, 2012

I am seeing certain words or short phrases in websites and forums appearing in colour, red, geen or blue and double underlined. These link to adverts.

I have McAfee Virus and Spyware protection installed and up-to-date.
I also ran a scan with MalwareBytes and it detected no issues.

This happens only in IE9, not in Firefox.

As Moderator, I almost hid a User's forum post for including a link to an advert, until I noticed that the note I was writing abo
... See more
I am seeing certain words or short phrases in websites and forums appearing in colour, red, geen or blue and double underlined. These link to adverts.

I have McAfee Virus and Spyware protection installed and up-to-date.
I also ran a scan with MalwareBytes and it detected no issues.

This happens only in IE9, not in Firefox.

As Moderator, I almost hid a User's forum post for including a link to an advert, until I noticed that the note I was writing about it contained a similar hyperlink!

Any suggestions would be most welcome.
Collapse

jethro
jethro
French to English
+ ...
hyperlinks Aug 2, 2012

Yes, I had that problem about a month ago. Just started without any warning. I think I downloaded Spybot to get rid of the malware.

Ambrose Li
Ambrose Li  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 19:49
English
+ ...
This might be a question for ProZ staff Aug 2, 2012

A (large?) number of sites have these doubly-underlined links, presumably as an additional source of advertising revenue. When I’m at home I usually block them all off, so I’m not sure how prevalent they are.

So site staff should probably confirm whether any such ads have in fact been installed on the site itself.

Russell Jones
United Kingdom
Italian to English
TOPIC STARTER
No solution yet Aug 2, 2012

Thank you Jethro, but I've run Spybot and it hasn't made any difference.

Thank you too Ambrose; this is not limited to the ProZ.com site though.
Can you tell me how you blocked them please?

Ambrose Li
Ambrose Li  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 19:49
English
+ ...
Not sure what’s necessary to block the ads on ProZ Aug 2, 2012

There seems to be several such “services” out there, and for ProZ in particular I’m not sure what’s necessary to block them since I’m not using IE and I’m not seeing the links. On another site I got *.infolinks.com blocked and that got rid of those useless doubly-underlined links.

I have a proxy at home to do the blocking, but this can probably be done with an ad blocker plug-in or an anti-virus program.

[Edited at 2012-08-02 20:23 GMT]

Natalie
Natalie  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 01:49
Member (2002)
English to Russian
+ ...

SITE LOCALIZER
Not sure if I understand your problem correctly, but... Aug 2, 2012

Hi Russell,

I am not sure if I understand your problem correctly, but in case you use IE9 this may be caused by its features and settings. Please take a look at this website:
http://techie-buzz.com/featured/internet-explorer-9-tips-tricks.html

Natalia

Rolf Keller
Rolf Keller
Germany
English to German
Where are those ad links? Aug 3, 2012

Russell Jones wrote:

As Moderator, I almost hid a User's forum post for including a link to an advert

Could you please post a link to a Proz forum post in which such an ad link appears? Just to check it out in my PC.

Russell Jones
United Kingdom
Italian to English
TOPIC STARTER
To Rolf Aug 3, 2012

I am sure these links only appear to me - and they are not permanent. If I return to the forum post or other website where I saw them, they have (always I think) disappeared.

Rolf Keller
Rolf Keller
Germany
English to German
Check the add-ons Aug 3, 2012

@Russell

Maybe the culprit is an add-on for Internet Explorer. Try to start the Browser in the No Add-ons mode: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/969938/en-us
If this stops the ad links from appearing, the culprit is an add-on.

In order identify the evil add-on go - within the browser - to Tools/Add-On Manager. Choose "Display all Add-ons", then look at the list.
... See more
@Russell

Maybe the culprit is an add-on for Internet Explorer. Try to start the Browser in the No Add-ons mode: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/969938/en-us
If this stops the ad links from appearing, the culprit is an add-on.

In order identify the evil add-on go - within the browser - to Tools/Add-On Manager. Choose "Display all Add-ons", then look at the list.

If the list contains an add-on with a doubtful name, have Google search for that name, esp. if it is a non-Microsoft add-in.

Most web sites, e. g. Proz.com, work flawlessly without any add-on. So you may deactivate all add-ons, and you may deactivate certain add-ons for certain web sites. You may even delete certain add-ons.
But caution: After any change you have to restart the browser.
Collapse

Russell Jones
United Kingdom
Italian to English
TOPIC STARTER
Add Ons Aug 3, 2012

Thanks Ralf. I had already done that, leaving only Microsoft, Adobe, Java and Spybot Add-Ons.
Checking just now, a new Google one had appeared: GEPluginCoClass Object, which I have also disabled.
Having said that, maybe I haven't seen any occurrences today.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Laureana Pavon[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Hyperlinks to Adverts appearing in web pages and forums

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »