https://www.proz.com/forum/general_technical_issues/218818-translating_a_scanned_book_in_pdf_format.html

Translating a scanned book in .pdf format
Thread poster: Olga Dyussengaliyeva
Olga Dyussengaliyeva
Olga Dyussengaliyeva  Identity Verified
Kazakhstan
Local time: 06:01
English to Russian
+ ...
Feb 21, 2012

Dear colleague
I've received a translation order in form of a scanned book in .pdf format.
This doesn't make life easy at all... With these regards...
Is there any way to convert the files into MS Word? I really doubt though since this is an image rather than a text...
Is there any way I can upload it to a CAT (Wordfast)?
How can I calculate the words in the text to quote the price for the order in th
... See more
Dear colleague
I've received a translation order in form of a scanned book in .pdf format.
This doesn't make life easy at all... With these regards...
Is there any way to convert the files into MS Word? I really doubt though since this is an image rather than a text...
Is there any way I can upload it to a CAT (Wordfast)?
How can I calculate the words in the text to quote the price for the order in this case?
And is there any additional charges that translators apply if the source document isn't provided in a standard convenient and "CATable" format?
thanks a lot!
Collapse

Tony M
Tony M
France
Local time: 03:01
French to English
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
PDF > DOC conversion using OCR Feb 21, 2012

The usual workflow is to convert your PDF (image) file via an Optical Character Recognition application, such as, for example, the highly-regarded Abbyy Fine Reader.

This process has been discussed at great length before in these forums, and I suggest you try a search on key words like PDF + OCR to access the wealth of information already available.

Some of the more sophisticated programs will automatically handle multiple pages, etc., and can produce quite fair facsimi
... See more
The usual workflow is to convert your PDF (image) file via an Optical Character Recognition application, such as, for example, the highly-regarded Abbyy Fine Reader.

This process has been discussed at great length before in these forums, and I suggest you try a search on key words like PDF + OCR to access the wealth of information already available.

Some of the more sophisticated programs will automatically handle multiple pages, etc., and can produce quite fair facsimiles of the original document; however, for subsequent CAT processing, I've found it's better to use the 'unformatted text' option, in order to avoid all sorts of hassles with the CAT tool not liking the 'tricks' the program uses to try and reproduce the formatting.

As for extra charges, I do reserve the right to make an additional charge for the pre-processing of non-standard texts — but I rarely apply it!

However, if you have to go out of your way to invest in special software for this sort of job, you may feel you'd like to make a small charge in order to try and recoup your investment — but beware of being undercut by those who don't!

[Modifié le 2012-02-21 15:23 GMT]
Collapse

isabelmurill (X)
isabelmurill (X)
English to Spanish
+ ...
always PDF or hardcopy/CAT tool for a book??? Feb 21, 2012

I receive almost all the books I translate in .pdf format or in hardcopy. I think this is more or less the standard in the publishing business. Authors don't use to deliver their work to the world on an electronic file. So I don't see the need, or the sense, to apply an extra charge for this kind of source document.

Regarding rate calculation, at least in Spain and the majority of European countries, the rate is agreed through a contract and is based on translated characters (no so
... See more
I receive almost all the books I translate in .pdf format or in hardcopy. I think this is more or less the standard in the publishing business. Authors don't use to deliver their work to the world on an electronic file. So I don't see the need, or the sense, to apply an extra charge for this kind of source document.

Regarding rate calculation, at least in Spain and the majority of European countries, the rate is agreed through a contract and is based on translated characters (no source word count)

Are you seriously thinking on translate a book with a CAT tool? Are you talking about a technical manual or a "book" (fiction or non fiction)?
Collapse

Olga Dyussengaliyeva
Kazakhstan
English to Russian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
technical text Feb 21, 2012

isabel murillo wrote:
Are you seriously thinking on translate a book with a CAT tool? Are you talking about a technical manual or a "book" (fiction or non fiction)?

It is a technical text, Technical Code actually
Well, I try to translate my technical texts with a CAT since it is a good practice of maintaining glossary and TM, besides, technical texts normally have many repeating parts making a TM quite handy. Normally I receive source texts in electronic format, so this issue is a new experience for me.
So how do you deal with the .pdf files then?
Thanks a lot for the response!

Olga Dyussengaliyeva
Kazakhstan
English to Russian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks, Tony Feb 21, 2012

Your response made some things clear. Thanks!

Mark Hamlen
Mark Hamlen  Identity Verified
France
French to English
+ ...
Another option Feb 21, 2012

I've never bought Abby Fine Reader, but I often use this site: http://www.onlineocr.net

It converts files very well. You need to pay a credit in, but I haven't used all of my 25 euro credit in even a year. It's very cheap and effective.

Giles Watson
Giles Watson  Identity Verified
Italy
Italian to English
In memoriam
Is the PDF an export from InDesign or some other DTP format? Feb 21, 2012

isabel murillo wrote:

I receive almost all the books I translate in .pdf format or in hardcopy.

It depends on the book but if you ask, publishers can often give you an InDesign .idml file or similar, which you can then translate directly with a CAT. This will take care of - most of - the formatting and save the copy editor's time. The problem is that the publishing people who deal with translators are often not really aware of what can and cannot be done with translation memory software and DTP programs. The upshot is that you don't achieve the optimum workflow with the tools available.

Not "thinking" about it so much as actually doing it.

Most of my book translations have been done with CATs and access to my tranlation memories and termbases has been of great benefit. In any case, if you are comfortable with your CAT of choice, there is not a lot of difference between translating a DTP application file in, say, Studio and a .docx file in Word, except that the output from the former will be more use to the publisher. The time-savings alone over a plain vanilla paper-and-'puter approach can generate value (i.e., better rates).

Elizabeth Joy Pitt de Morales
Elizabeth Joy Pitt de Morales  Identity Verified
Member (2007)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Wordfast Anywhere Feb 21, 2012

Hi Olga,

If it's a scanned pdf, you can upload it to Wordfast Anywhere (www.freetm.com) and convert it to a Word doc. You can then translate it right there on-line, or download and translate with Wordfast Classic or Pro.

I do those kinds of projects all the time and they're no problem.

-Liz

Olga Dyussengaliyeva
Kazakhstan
English to Russian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Wordfast really can do it? Feb 21, 2012

Elizabeth Joy Pitt de Morales wrote:

Hi Olga,

If it's a scanned pdf, you can upload it to Wordfast Anywhere (www.freetm.com) and convert it to a Word doc. You can then translate it right there on-line, or download and translate with Wordfast Classic or Pro.

I do those kinds of projects all the time and they're no problem.

-Liz

In fact I do use WFA a lot; great news that it can handle the .pdf!

Dominique Pivard
Dominique Pivard  Identity Verified
Local time: 04:01
Finnish to French
Size might be an issue Feb 22, 2012

If it's a scanned pdf, you can upload it to Wordfast Anywhere (www.freetm.com) and convert it to a Word doc.

Sure, see http://youtu.be/ZwYgFbWzpFQ
However, Olga may have a size problem with an entire book, as I think Wordfast Anywhere won't accept PDF's of any size. It's possible to break a PDF into smaller chunks, but that can be fastidious if the PDF is very large.

You can then translate it right there on-line, or download and translate with Wordfast Classic or Pro.

You can even translate it with competing tools, or with no tool at all, since what you get is a standard RTF file you can open in Word.

Olga Dyussengaliyeva
Kazakhstan
English to Russian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Useful video! Feb 22, 2012

thanks for the video, Cominique, it's useful as always.
Could you approximate how many pdf pages can be uploaded to WFA?
one of my documents worked, however uploading of another failed; maybe too big.
Thanks!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Laureana Pavon[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Translating a scanned book in .pdf format

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »