Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3]
Cannot insert character codes
Thread poster: XXXphxxx (X)
Taking the easy way out on Special Characters on a laptop Feb 3, 2013

Everyone has surely tried to make this complicated, like switching keyboard languages! I use two simple methods to do this:

1) I keep a small notepad file called "Symbols" on all my computers on the desktop near the Start menu, and have all the ones I most commonly use there, where when I'm on my non-extended keyboard laptop I can simply open that file and cut and paste the ones I want (samples at bottom of post). I also keep the codes there for them in case I'm on a desktop but s
... See more
Everyone has surely tried to make this complicated, like switching keyboard languages! I use two simple methods to do this:

1) I keep a small notepad file called "Symbols" on all my computers on the desktop near the Start menu, and have all the ones I most commonly use there, where when I'm on my non-extended keyboard laptop I can simply open that file and cut and paste the ones I want (samples at bottom of post). I also keep the codes there for them in case I'm on a desktop but simply cannot remember the Alt+code.

2) If it's one that is not on my list currently, I simply go to Character Map and find it there, then select, copy, paste. I also keep a desktop shortcut icon for that on my desktop near the 'Symbols' file. You can find it in at least XP, Vista, W7 and I assume W8, but in W7 it's here:

Start>All Programs>Accessories>System Tools>Character Map

Since it's buried so many levels deep in the menus, if you use it often, you can make a desktop shortcut and/or pin it to your start menu or task bar.

Hope these solutions work as well for you as they do for me; I find this the easiest way to go.

Here are some samples of my 'Symbols' file:

á Alt+0225 Alt+160
ä Alt+0228
æ Alt+0230
ç Alt+0231 Alt+135
é Alt+0233 Alt+130
í Alt+0237 Alt+161
ï Alt+0239 Alt+139
ó Alt+0243 Alt+162
ú Alt+0250 Alt+163
ü Alt+0252
ñ Alt+0241 Alt+164
¡ Alt+0161 Alt+173
¿ Alt+0191 Alt+168

↑↓←→↕
☺ ☻
♀ ♂ ∞
♥ ♪ ♫
≠≈

déjà vu
Danke schön
façade
Häagen-Dazs
naïve
naïveté
ΦΘΚ
¿Qué?
über
voilà
Collapse

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Laureana Pavon[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Cannot insert character codes

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »