Páginas sobre el tema:   < [1 2 3]
Cannot insert character codes
Autor de la hebra: XXXphxxx (X)
Taking the easy way out on Special Characters on a laptop Feb 3, 2013

Everyone has surely tried to make this complicated, like switching keyboard languages! I use two simple methods to do this:

1) I keep a small notepad file called "Symbols" on all my computers on the desktop near the Start menu, and have all the ones I most commonly use there, where when I'm on my non-extended keyboard laptop I can simply open that file and cut and paste the ones I want (samples at bottom of post). I also keep the codes there for them in case I'm on a desktop but s
... See more
Everyone has surely tried to make this complicated, like switching keyboard languages! I use two simple methods to do this:

1) I keep a small notepad file called "Symbols" on all my computers on the desktop near the Start menu, and have all the ones I most commonly use there, where when I'm on my non-extended keyboard laptop I can simply open that file and cut and paste the ones I want (samples at bottom of post). I also keep the codes there for them in case I'm on a desktop but simply cannot remember the Alt+code.

2) If it's one that is not on my list currently, I simply go to Character Map and find it there, then select, copy, paste. I also keep a desktop shortcut icon for that on my desktop near the 'Symbols' file. You can find it in at least XP, Vista, W7 and I assume W8, but in W7 it's here:

Start>All Programs>Accessories>System Tools>Character Map

Since it's buried so many levels deep in the menus, if you use it often, you can make a desktop shortcut and/or pin it to your start menu or task bar.

Hope these solutions work as well for you as they do for me; I find this the easiest way to go.

Here are some samples of my 'Symbols' file:

á Alt+0225 Alt+160
ä Alt+0228
æ Alt+0230
ç Alt+0231 Alt+135
é Alt+0233 Alt+130
í Alt+0237 Alt+161
ï Alt+0239 Alt+139
ó Alt+0243 Alt+162
ú Alt+0250 Alt+163
ü Alt+0252
ñ Alt+0241 Alt+164
¡ Alt+0161 Alt+173
¿ Alt+0191 Alt+168

↑↓←→↕
☺ ☻
♀ ♂ ∞
♥ ♪ ♫
≠≈

déjà vu
Danke schön
façade
Häagen-Dazs
naïve
naïveté
ΦΘΚ
¿Qué?
über
voilà
Collapse

Páginas sobre el tema:   < [1 2 3]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Cannot insert character codes

Advanced search

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Búsqueda de términos
  • Trabajos
  • Foros
  • Multiple search