Loss of Internet connectivity --- HELP!
Thread poster: Tony M
George Hopkins
George Hopkins
Local time: 20:41
Swedish to English
Router problem? Jan 22, 2012

Have a similar problem.
Try bypassing your router and plug in direct to check whether the router is the source of the problem.

Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL
Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 19:41
Member (2004)
English to Italian
Password Jan 22, 2012

go to the router page and enter the user name and password you use to connect to the Internet... sometimes, it happens to me. Internet connection is present, router is connected to the Internet, but you can't navigate because, for some reason, there is a problem with your access details...

Ambrose Li
Ambrose Li  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 14:41
English
+ ...
Comment about the reboot suggestions Jan 22, 2012

Just to be 100% sure, you might want to try turning off both your computer and your router. Leave them turned off for at least five minutes, and then turn them back on again (router first, then, after the connection is reestablished, the PC).

If a hard shutdown can make any difference at all (sometimes it does), this should show it. If not, we can probably more or less completely rule out the possibility that this can be fixed by a reboot.

Tony M
Tony M
France
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
SITE LOCALIZER
Problem SOLVED! Jan 22, 2012

@ George

Thanks for your input! As it turns out, my router IS my modem, hence no way I can bypass it.

@ Giovanni

Thanks for your suggestion; I had already tried that, but in any case, since the laptop PC is connecting alright via the Wi-Fi, that couldn't really be the problem in this case.

I still don't know what the underlying cause of the problem was, and hence which of the many manipulations was the one that actually cured the problem; howev
... See more
@ George

Thanks for your input! As it turns out, my router IS my modem, hence no way I can bypass it.

@ Giovanni

Thanks for your suggestion; I had already tried that, but in any case, since the laptop PC is connecting alright via the Wi-Fi, that couldn't really be the problem in this case.

I still don't know what the underlying cause of the problem was, and hence which of the many manipulations was the one that actually cured the problem; however, in my latest foray into the guts of my router, I found that Internet access had been disabled for this PC — there's an option for disabling it for certain times, on certain days etc. Setting that to 'permanently enabled' solved the problem.

Now what is worrying is how this came about! While I was investigating the original problem, I had suspected that it might be something to do with the other 2 devices connected to the router via Wi-Fi; so I quite deliberately disabled them, and theoretically at least, you can select which peripherals you disable.

Now unless I really am losing my marbles (NO comments, thank you!), I was SURE I had actually selected the Wi-Fi connection to disable, and not the office machine. Moreover, I re-enabled it again after I'd done the experiment.

What I suspect may have happened is that the disabling was in fact applied globally to ALL connections, BUT when I re-enabled it again, it was only applied to the Wi-Fi ones — this could be my little Sagem Livebox telling me porkies, or of course, it may just be marble-losing finger-trouble!

Either way, we'll now never know where the original problem lay; but if it happens again, i'll be sure and keep you posted.

In the meantime, a big thank you to all of you for the excellent support and for all your suggestions — and an extra special thank you to Ambrose for having accurately interpreted my descriptions of the situation and following a logic that I can at least understand.
Collapse

Tony M
Tony M
France
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
SITE LOCALIZER
Ongoing problems Jan 25, 2012

I'm still experiencing severe difficulties, and am rapidly coming to conclusion that it's Firefox 9 that is to blame.

I've always had problems that after a time, having opened (and closed!) lots of tabs, old F/f used to get very sluggish — I tend to leave my PC switched on 24/7, and a friend of mine explained there is something called 'memory leakage' that after a time cause things to get all 'clogged up' (note use of sophisticated technical terminology!)

So I got int
... See more
I'm still experiencing severe difficulties, and am rapidly coming to conclusion that it's Firefox 9 that is to blame.

I've always had problems that after a time, having opened (and closed!) lots of tabs, old F/f used to get very sluggish — I tend to leave my PC switched on 24/7, and a friend of mine explained there is something called 'memory leakage' that after a time cause things to get all 'clogged up' (note use of sophisticated technical terminology!)

So I got into the habit of re-booting every day, and had no problems since then.

But now, since upgrading (!) F/f, I seem to get into this situation much quicker, and it only affects the Internet connection speed — or in fact, the time it takes to connect and display a page. Sometimes this will hapen after ½ a day's working, but like now, I just re-booted, and after opening just 4 tabs, it's gone again. It doesn't slow up once I'm on the page (like I'm typing now, and it's fine), it's only when I got to refresh for example. Oddly, it also seems to be affecting Thunderbird.

However, at least now I do have a connection that works, I just have to re-boot ever so often

I did again think Avira might have been the culprit, but even disabling live checking doesn't seem to have any effect.

Any suggestions welcomed!
Collapse

Ambrose Li
Ambrose Li  Identity Verified
Canada
English
+ ...
Workaround for memory leakage Jan 25, 2012

An anecdote: After upgrading my computer to Snow Leopard, literally every browser stopped working because the computer would slow to a crawl in just five minutes if I had my browser open.

At the end, I found Chrome to be the only browser that still worked, but only when I put it in private browsing mode. In essence, private browsing disables the use of memory for history and caching, so it takes much longer for the memory leak to escalate to a point where it will cause prob
... See more
An anecdote: After upgrading my computer to Snow Leopard, literally every browser stopped working because the computer would slow to a crawl in just five minutes if I had my browser open.

At the end, I found Chrome to be the only browser that still worked, but only when I put it in private browsing mode. In essence, private browsing disables the use of memory for history and caching, so it takes much longer for the memory leak to escalate to a point where it will cause problems.

I suggest that if you suspect memory leakage to be causing you problems, you might be able to mitigate it by turning private browsing mode on permanently in your FF. It’s rather inconvenient (e.g., you can’t restore tabs any more), but if it makes the computer more usable I suppose that’s still somewhat of an improvement.

PS: I just noticed that you mentioned it affects Thunderbird too. In that case the above won’t have an effect (for that part of the problem at least); I’m not sure what can be a fix…

[Edited at 2012-01-25 18:02 GMT]
Collapse

Jean Lachaud
Jean Lachaud  Identity Verified
United States
English to French
+ ...
FF is a resource hog Jan 25, 2012

I am not surprised. Firefox is a resource and memory hog. I have solved a similar problem by using Iron (http://www.srware.net/en/software_srware_iron.php).

I still use FF from time to time (most notably when a web site won't work with Iron/Chrome), but am very careful about not having more than a couple FF windows/tabs open at a time.

And, with any browser, t
... See more
I am not surprised. Firefox is a resource and memory hog. I have solved a similar problem by using Iron (http://www.srware.net/en/software_srware_iron.php).

I still use FF from time to time (most notably when a web site won't work with Iron/Chrome), but am very careful about not having more than a couple FF windows/tabs open at a time.

And, with any browser, the more tabs/windows open, the slower the system. This is very unfortunate for us translators, since we need to access a lot of resources at the same time.
Collapse

Terry Richards
Terry Richards
France
French to English
+ ...
Diagnosing a memory leak Jan 25, 2012

Tony,

Try this:

1) Right click on the task bar
2) Select Task Manager
3) In task manager, select the Processes tab (the second one)
4) Click the "Mem usage" column header to sort by memory usage. If the top process shows zero or some other very low value, click it again to sort it the other way. The biggest memory user will be in the thousands.
5) Watch that for a while. If a process is leaking memory it will climb up the list and the numbers wil
... See more
Tony,

Try this:

1) Right click on the task bar
2) Select Task Manager
3) In task manager, select the Processes tab (the second one)
4) Click the "Mem usage" column header to sort by memory usage. If the top process shows zero or some other very low value, click it again to sort it the other way. The biggest memory user will be in the thousands.
5) Watch that for a while. If a process is leaking memory it will climb up the list and the numbers will continue to increase after it gets to the top.
6) You can leave it open while you play with your browser etc. and you will soon get a feel for what is chewing up memory. If you select Options ! Always on top, it will stay visible.
7) Report back on what you see

Terry.
Collapse

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Laureana Pavon[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Loss of Internet connectivity --- HELP!

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »