https://www.proz.com/forum/general_technical_issues/215975-tips_for_automating_of_typing_translation_under_original_sentence_by_sentence.html

Tips for automating of typing translation under original, sentence by sentence
Thread poster: Iwona Mróz
Iwona Mróz
Iwona Mróz
Poland
Local time: 18:31
German to Polish
Jan 13, 2012

Hi there,

My client wants me to type translation under original text sentence by sentence. The formatting of the original document must be generally the same, no tables wanted. It is a Word-file.

I would need to separate every single sentence with Enter and type the translation underneath, but I do not really feel like doing this.

Do you know a way to automate this with Trados or other tools? Or can you think of some more convenient ways of doing that?
... See more
Hi there,

My client wants me to type translation under original text sentence by sentence. The formatting of the original document must be generally the same, no tables wanted. It is a Word-file.

I would need to separate every single sentence with Enter and type the translation underneath, but I do not really feel like doing this.

Do you know a way to automate this with Trados or other tools? Or can you think of some more convenient ways of doing that?

Thanks for any tips.

Best wishes,
Iwona Mróz
Collapse

Natalie
Natalie  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2002)
English to Russian
+ ...

SITE LOCALIZER
SDL XLIFF converter would do this for you Jan 13, 2012

In case you own Studio, you can use it for translation and export the ready translation to Word using SDL XLIFF converter. The setup should be "vertical".

HTH,
Natalia

Iwona Mróz
Iwona Mróz
Poland
German to Polish
TOPIC STARTER
May be useful but not in this case Jan 13, 2012

Yes, I know SDL XLIFF converter but it converts into a table and does not keep formating (inserts tags instead), and that is what the client does not want.
He wants really the same file but every translation sentence under the original one.

Terry Richards
Terry Richards
France
French to English
+ ...
Word & Trados/Wordfast Jan 13, 2012

1) Do a replace in Word and convert all ". " (dot + space) to ".^p" (dot + new paragraph). This should get most of your sentences onto seperate lines. You may have to do a bit of manual clean up. You can catch a few more by changing exclamation points and question marks in the same way.

2) Select all the text (ctrl+a).

3) Convert it to a one column table using "Table | Convert | Text to table".

4) Insert a second column. "Table | Insert | Column to right".
... See more
1) Do a replace in Word and convert all ". " (dot + space) to ".^p" (dot + new paragraph). This should get most of your sentences onto seperate lines. You may have to do a bit of manual clean up. You can catch a few more by changing exclamation points and question marks in the same way.

2) Select all the text (ctrl+a).

3) Convert it to a one column table using "Table | Convert | Text to table".

4) Insert a second column. "Table | Insert | Column to right".

5) Copy column 1 to column 2.

6) Mark column 1 as non-translatable (red ants in Wordfast, I don't know in Trados).

7) Translate using Trados/Wordfast

8) Clear the non-translatable attribute.

9) Convert the table back to tab (or some other character if your text contains tabs) delimitted text. "Table | Convert | Table to text" and then select tab or some other character.

10) Replace all tabs (or the other character) with paragraph marks "^p".

I started with:

This is a sentence. This is another. This is the third.

To simulate the translation step, I just added "tr" to every sentence in column 2 and I ended up with:

This is a sentence.
trThis is a sentence.

This is another.
trThis is another.

This is the third.
trThis is the third.
Collapse

Heinrich Pesch
Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 19:31
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
Convert bilingual to normal Word Jan 13, 2012

If you use a Word-plug-in like Wordfast Classic, you can replace the code with line-breaks and will receive a file with segments underneath. All formatting in place.

Iwona Mróz
Iwona Mróz
Poland
German to Polish
TOPIC STARTER
Great tips, thank you Jan 13, 2012

Both ways will indeed solve the problem and that is how I am going to translate that (one way or another). Thank you all for a helping hand!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Laureana Pavon[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Tips for automating of typing translation under original, sentence by sentence

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »